“Spend your money elsewhere... not worth it.”
Review of Cypress Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Cypress Bar & Grill
Description: Located in downtown Rehoboth Beach, one block over from the avenue on "restaurant row", we feature authentic Cajun cuisine with local favorites. Menu choices include jambalaya, fried alligator, shrimp & grits and gumbo. If spicy isn't your thing, choose one of our many other options, crab cakes, fried oysters or our slow roasted short rib...Enjoy one of our specialty drinks or martinis on the largest outdoor patio in Rehoboth Beach!
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Spend your money elsewhere... not worth it.”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We visitd on a Saturday nigth in late July 2012. The service and communication of when our food would arrive was inexcusable. We had 8:00 reservations and were still waiting for our food after ONE HOUR AND A HALF. The food was just served. We had our appetizers 45 minutes ago. The manager came over and sort of apologized for the wait and asked how the food was - which was just served. To sum up the food - MEDIOCRE at best. Certainly not anything better than you can get at a diner. We live in Rehoboth and visit an awful lot of restaurants. This one does NOT deserve to be patronized. There are much better choices and alternatives. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Visited July 2012

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Microwave?”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have to preface this review by saying I am not a person that only reviews restaurants they find excellent or terrible. I have personally found that review sites often only highlight those who had a fantastic and awful experience. I am not one of those who only reviews when extremely motivated by highs or lows.
I had high expectations for the restaurant based on a pitch by a hostess on a previous date. When we were seated, there were flies present near our dining area. (approx. 6). My date ordered a mojito and I a gin and tonic. My gin and tonic was strong and nothing to complain about. Her mojito (10 dollars) was the color of Mountain Dew, a neon yellow/green, and served without mint. When she asked the server what the drink was, he apologized they had no fresh mint but explained they made their "own mojito mix.". I am not a drink snob but do not serve mojitos without mint or at least inform your patrons of your shortcomings. He graciously offered her a drink substitute of sangria that he recommended. Unfortunately, the blueberries and raspberries in the sangria had soured. It was overall a disgusting drink but we were not willing to send two drinks back.
I ordered the duck entree rare and it came out steaming hot. Unfortunately, it was the microwave type of steam. The duck was well done to say the least and had a rubber texture that was unappealing. My date's dish was under-seasoned and overall very bland. We both concurred that the entrees had been microwaved and would never return to the establishment. This was sadly, one of the worse dining experiences I have ever had in Rehoboth.
On a positive note, the waiter was overall acceptable and the live jazz coming from the outdoors sounded pretty funky!

• Visited July 2012
Lewes, Delaware
“Sh-h-h-h-h”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I have mixed feelings about alerting people to my restaurant "finds". But on a busy night in town, this place deserved to be totally booked. We went for the music, a great local jazz trio, and sat in the patio. Food was so much better than earlier reviews! We had a great New Orleans meal: crawfish fritters, gumbo, shrimp and grits. Our server was charming and the food arrived almost too quickly. Good wine and martini. Priced right, too.

• Visited June 2012
Wilmington, DE
“Great place. Music is great”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The food was great. Kenny the sever was exceptional. Highly recommend. The music was great.

1 Thank Michelle P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“OUTSTANDING”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Usually I wait to sober up before writing a review but I felt compelled to come back to my hotel tonight and tell you about this fantastic restaurant. I am a Rehoboth-Dewey-Bethany-Lewes regular and I know how good and how bad the food can be here. I've seen restaurants come and go and I can tell you that the current trend of too many Italian and Tapas and Mexican places is annoying at best.

That's probably why I liked the Cypress so much. It's flavor is Cajun or as some might call it - Creole. We haven't had that sort of food since Sydney's closed and to be honest, theirs was always a bit overspiced.

The chef at Cypress knows his business. I had a wonderful Jambalaya tonight - the best since I left New Orleans. It had a heavier tomato base than I am used to but the spices didn't over-power the dish. I could taste the sausage...the chicken...the very tender, obviously fresh shrimp. He didn't throw the seafood and meat into a crock pot and let it sit there all day - it certainly tasted like it was made to order. The serving size was more than ample - especially since I followed it up with a starter dish of fried oysters - beautifully cooked and perfectly seasoned - not a chewey one in the bunch.

I sat in the way-back bar and talked to the new bartender who gave me a sample of their special Mojito which was pretty darned good. When I looked out onto the patio, I could imagine the possibilities especially since I heard that on Fridays, they will be having live jazz music. This place will be awesome when it gets warmer - it will give Back Porch a run for it's money because of the beauty of the outdoor patio well off the noise of the street.

The chef was willing to tell me about himself - because it was a Thursday in the off-season perhaps - but he is local and he interned at the famous Brennan's in New Orleans, where they originated Banana's Foster. And that really made sense. Because he made a dessert that said Delaware boldly, but leaned on the New Orleans traditions. It was the best - BEST - dessert that I have ever tasted in all of the Delmarva area - a concoction of the chef's called fried cheese cake, which tasted like a cross between bananas foster, cheese cake and fried dough known to the French Quarter as beignets. It was accented with cinnamon ice cream and was enough for two people although I really did want toeat the whole thing myself.

I absolutely will go back to this restaurant and I sincerely hope it catches on - we need variety in Rehoboth and bringing back the New Orleans tastes and sounds will make a lot of people happy. I can't wait to go back and hear the band and try some of the chef's other specialities.

• Visited April 2012