“Great campground location”

Delaware Seashore State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: From fishing and boating to surfing and sail boarding, this six-mile stretch of coastline boasts a wide variety of outdoor recreation for people of all ages.
Gatineau, QC
147 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Great campground location”
Reviewed August 29, 2014

I camped there for 10 days in August and while the campground per say isn't remarkable, the proximity of the beach more than made up for it. It takes less than five minute to walk in order to get to the beach. Sanitary installation and kids playground were more than satisfactory. I would recommend this place to whoever wish to stay close to the beach and avoid having to use his car and find parking.

2 Thank Boutip

Hockessin, Delaware
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Camped for two nights and will be back”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Driving by it is not the prettiest campground in the world but what is lacks in things like shade it make up for in being able to walk to beach or the inlet for fishing. Bathrooms were clean and the staff was very helpful. Will be back next summer for sure!

3 Thank beachboundeddie
Syracuse, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Beautiful beach, subpar campgrounds”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I'm having trouble combining the two separating experiences at the same park into one review.

The beach was beautiful: white sand and dark green-blue ocean ahead of you, sand dune and scenic bridge behind you. It was windy, so we were blasted with sand anytime a gust picked up, but on a more tranquil day the experience could be near perfect.

The campground, on the other hand, was one of the most non-positive camping experiences I've ever had. My wife and I chose a site on the newly reopened section of the grounds that said was the surface was supposed to be "sandy." What the description should've said was "hard-packed gravel and sand with an impermeable barrier of rock and/or concrete four inches below the surface that will destroy any stakes driven into it."

The ability to stake down your tent matters, because the campgrounds are a flat plain right to next to the inlet from the Atlantic Ocean to the Indian River Bay, i.e. it can get windy. There just isn't any cover to break the wind from whipping across the flat land. Setting up our tent went from something routine to an adventure. The wind ended up destroying the brand new canopy I set up over the picnic table (which was a hoot to disassemble by myself in the middle of the night). BTW, if you do camp here, you'll want a canopy for the table, because, like I mentioned, there are no trees, no shade, no cover.

No privacy, for that matter, either. The sites are shoehorned on top of each other, with nothing but a numbered post to delineate them. So, maybe you'll have nice, respectful neighbors, or maybe you'll have loud, drunken neighbors with a dog easily startled by sea gulls on one side of you and a small family, on the other, with a child who is decidedly unhappy about his current situation (not that you can blame him), whose only recourse is to loudly proclaim his displeasure into the night.

The canopy at least provided a small placebo of encapsulating a portion of the area, so we didn't feel quite as out in the open as we were. The people across the way who brought a screened in gazebo tent were the envy of the neighborhood.

You'll also want to bring a camp stove, barbecue grill, can of sterno, or some other heat source if you want to roast marshmallows (or, you know, cook), as there are no fire pits. A prudent safety measure to be sure, with the sites so close together, but camping without a campfire doesn't feel like camping.

On the plus side, the facilities were pleasant and new; it was one of the nicer public urinals I've ever been privy to. The bridge is pretty at night. Your parking pass is good at any of the state beaches in the area, but the campground is easily within walking distance to the ocean.

After a night of not sleeping very well, my wife and I witnessed a gorgeous sunrise from the beach.

4 Thank Bill H
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Quiet on a Monday”
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

Visited this park on a Monday. It was super quiet, which made it relaxing.

Parking was 8 bucks due to us being out of state. No biggie. It was nice to have the showers and bathrooms so close. The beach was pretty clean. The bathrooms were gross- I blame the visitors for this. Some people are disgusting and don't care about the mess they make. There was also a broken glass bottle in the shower ! Also since it is a state park there are no trash cans so all your trash goes with you. I didn't mind this as we are very good about cleaning up after ourselves. I do believe that the beach could have been a little cleaner. I would definitely return- loved the peace and quiet and no whistle blowing!

1 Thank Rosicilia
Florida
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Quiet park, great location”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

The park is nothing to look at from the highway, it looks sparse with absolutely no trees for shade and the spots look tight. Once we made it through the express check in (easy peasy) and found our spot we were surprised at how quiet and nice the place is. Sure the spots are not spacious, but we have not found any beach locations that had spacious spots, and these have more room than some we have been at. The park is not over patrolled by rangers. You can walk to the beach or to fish at the seawall. Anything else will require a bike or car. We stayed for 2 weeks in a Class A. Will definitely return. Great fishing!

2 Thank FulltimeTraveler131