“An excellent beach alternative to Rehoboth and Dewey Beach scenes”

Delaware Seashore State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: From fishing and boating to surfing and sail boarding, this six-mile stretch of coastline boasts a wide variety of outdoor recreation for people of all ages.
Reviewed September 17, 2011

While we didn't stay in the campground area, we did visit the beach. Parking for the day was $8 and that enabled us to go to several different areas and have free parking. Bath houses and concession areas are nice amenities to have, but the day we visited, the concession area was not open (this was for a mid-week day trip.) All in all it was a nice contrast to the Boardwalk areas of Rehoboth, etc. I'm sure we'll be back here again in the future.

1  Thank ks21620
"camp store"
in 10 reviews
"north side"
in 20 reviews
"short walk to the beach"
in 10 reviews
"nice beach area"
"bathrooms and showers"
"shower area"

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our time here immensely! We were told UPFRONT that there was construction and that there were NO TREES, so to the other campers that were CLUELESS all I can say is they must not have listened to the nice Park Personnel when they explained this (no bad experience with any personnel, they were all very helpful).
We met some very nice people camping next to us from PA (Vern & Joanne, Joe & Cookie, Tim & Brenda, Mike & Jean - there was a quiz :0) Also, Mary and Dennis from MD who graciously let us borrow some DVD's so we didn't have to watch THE BLIND SIDE (again) - "I will mail those back on Tuesday Mary!". There was a "storyteller" at the pavillion on Saturday night - that was really fun (I believe his name was BIL LEPP) it was nice because he kept it clean enough for kids and interesting enough to keep the adults interested. The camp store was small but I invariably found a few things to purchase that I HAD TO HAVE. Definitely plan on going back next LABOR DAY!

1  Thank quinnrentals2
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This "State Park" was basically a parking lot full of RV's with a small grass area for tent campers. It was $30/night for tent camping and $38/night for the RV's!!!! There is a private beach across the highway which was nice.

2  Thank msquareArizona
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We are leaving Delaware Seashore SP a night early due to a horrible smell of RV sewage that has been in the air since early evening. This is not a place for tent camping. There are no trees; it's a parking lot with bathrooms. A large construction project is in progress that is very noisy and disrupts traffic along Rt. 1.

4  Thank Wizknits
See more reviews
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We wanted to try a family beach trip, but aren't quite ready to commit to a week-stay at a beach house and didn't want to pay the prices of beach-front hotels. :) So we found that the Delaware State Park beaches offer changing rooms and showers for a small fee (we paid $8 for our out-of-state vehicle to park) and it was perfect! The beach was nice and had 3 lifeguards available (we went to the location right below Rehoboth beach, although there was another beach available further South by the Indian River Inlet). There were plenty of people there, but enough space to find our own area to make sand castles. :) The water was pretty strong and I still don't like that you can't see in the ocean (I prefer the Caribbean by far!!), but it was still a fun trip. Our children enjoyed looking for seashells and playing in the crashed waves.

The showers were great, too... nothing fancy and they didn't offer a shelf or anything for toiletries, but basic and suited our needs - dirty on the ground of course from all the sand, but that's just what happens. There was some trash in the bathroom because the park doesn't have trash cans so I guess people just left it there (there were trash bags available to take your trash home with you), but that's just the fault of people, nothing the park can really help. Changing rooms had benches, except the bigger one (I assume because it was handicap accessible, although also easier for me to change children in). Again, it wasn't a fancy place, but it served the purpose to allow us to get the sand off and put clothes back on before we headed home. There was also a snack bar area available, but we didn't go inside. We'll try it again sometime!