WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Back Porch Cafe

Back Porch Cafe
Ranked #16 of 269 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: You will have no trouble finding the restaurant since it has been in business over 40 years. It is a "fine dining" experience for both lunch and dinner. The wine list is extensive. The cooking is flavorful, creative and thoroughly enjoyable. Please include this in your listings.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Excellent and...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

a bit pricey. The Back Porch Cafe definitely is one of the best restaurants in Rehoboth Beach. The ambiance is a mix of tiki-like structure and a bright dining room. My spouse and I ate there this fall and had a fine meal. The service was excellent throughout the meal, and all of the servers seemed well trained, a fair rarity at a beach place. For an appetizer, I ordered crispy veal sweetbread, celery root polenta, and fried parsnips, a difficult dish from a culinary point of view but a rewarding one to eat, It was perfectly done. My spouse ordered two appetizers, one of them in lieu of an entree, consisting of a chestnut crepe, porcini and prune, and gorgonzola cream dish, followed by a chesapeake jumbo crab ravioli and smoked tomato vin blanc, both of which caused her to repeat "the effort" Don't miss any of these delights if they again should appear on the menu. Then, my entree of rabbit loin, confit leg, hunter style cacciatore, and parsley fettuccini arrived. Both the rabbit and the fettuccini were excellent. Unfortunately, the cacciatore overwhelmed the plate and the palate, the only "miss" I've encountered at this restaurant plus seating at a very cool---temperature-wise---table.
As you have realized by now, The Back Porch has an extremely talented chef whose culinary imagination far exceeds many,many restaurants. Yes, there is an occasional pairing glitsch, but this oops easily overcome
by the superb other menu items, a copy of which I retained.
One bad bit of information is that this restaurant is open only from Memorial Day through the end of October. Do go, but plan accordingly.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Back porch cafe should be renamed outhouse cafe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

The visit began horribly. My wife and I arrived at the restaurant at 7:57pm, our reservation was 8pm. We were greeted by the owner who stated, "We don't accept 8:00 reservations". I explained to him that I find it very unprofessional that the person who set the reservation did not inform me of such a policy. The owner then rolled his eyes and said he would "try" to find us a table. After waiting about five minutes he finally seated us. My wife an I ordered appitizers, I had scallops and she had lobster ravioli. The scallops were tender but tasteless and my wife said her ravioli was inedible. Our main courses were rockfish(me) and lamb chops(wife). My meal again was tasteless and boring. My wifes lamb chops were descent. For dessert I ordered the pumpkin/pecan bread which was ok at best. I was terribly disappointed. The meal came to $129 before tip. When I spend that much money on a meal for two I want a excellent culinary experience. The only bright spot was our server. This place should be called the outhouse cafe' because the food and the owners attitude were crappy.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
“Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This place was recommended by hotel staff. Could be easily be missed because it is literally accessed down a narrow walkway that leads back and behind street fronting building. Sunday morning brunch/lunch was packed, but had a reservation and my table was waiting! Food great, waiters friendly and accommodating. I will definately go back!

Visited October 2012
Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
“Upscale food and intimate outdoor atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Everything was unique and delicious. Nice wine selection, but they were out of the advertised wine special. Crab ravioli appetizer was very good, would go back just for that.

Visited August 2012
Cockeysville
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Expertly prepared organic produce, eating all of the colors of the rainbow plus excellent hazelnut creme brulee for desert. I will definitely recommend this place to my friends. If there is only one restaurant that you have a chance to eat in for lunch, go here! Friendly staff who know the menu.

• Visited September 2012