“The best oyster experience!”

Henlopen City Oyster House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2018

What an amazing place! At the suggestion of friends, I went here for drinks and oysters before heading elsewhere for dinner. They had an excellent and interesting selection of oysters and offered a sampler as well -- with either one or two of each. I started with a sampler and then had a couple more of the ones I liked best in addition to a couple of the featured, more expensive, Chelsea Gems, which were part of the sampler, and were the best of the bunch. The bartenders, one of whom was Amy, were both knowledgeable and personable. The bar area is fairly small and has a lively, friendly vibe about it.

1  Thank Bill L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,118)

Reviewed July 10, 2018 via mobile

We are locals and regulars to your wonderful establishment!
Amy, Jamie and staff are such experts on how to make sure each customer is more than satisfied. The Happy Hour is one of the Best in town. Please know all of your efforts do not go unnoticed.

1  Thank Terry B
Reviewed July 10, 2018

I've been eating here for years and have always had great food, excellent service, and a great time sitting at the bar during happy hour. The oysters, especially the Broadwater variety, are super fresh, flavorful, and impeccably prepared. Clams and shrimp are always perfectly steamed. The soft shelled crab I had once was one of the best I've ever eaten. The bar staff are always friendly and able to give suggestions for wine and beer pairings. The owner, Jamie, is fun to talk to about Rehoboth history and local personalities.

1  Thank Jim C
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

We recently spent eight days in Rehoboth and had dinner twice at HCOH while there. While you can expect a wait during the season, it’s well worth it-hit the bar and have a drink while you wait (and expect it to be loud and lively).

Both times there on our recent trip, my wife and I each had the crab cake special. They were delicious both times-some of the best we’ve ever had. Despite the heat outdoors, I also tried the clam chowder-it was great, and would really be outstanding on a chilly evening. The service was very good, particularly given the crowd. We’ll definitely be back on our next visit to Rehoboth.

1  Thank GSCinVA
Reviewed July 7, 2018

The wait was not too long this time. Had delicious soft shell crabs with cole slaw and fresh creamed corn. Just terrific!

1  Thank Amy5111