“October Oyster Treat”

Henlopen City Oyster House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Very nice selection of fresh oysters and fine beers on tap. IPA is nice and crisp and a good pair with the oysters. Not crowded at all in the afternoon.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Great specials from 3-5pm at the bar-area-only happy hour. Terrific prices on drinks and food (definitely get the steamed shrimp, steamed oysters and clams, and buffalo shrimp!) Plus, the staff is super friendly. However, during the summer months, you'll need to get there before 3pm, as a line forms.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Back again, to a restaurant that I don't like to miss on my annual pilgrimage to RB. I'd have come here with family last week, but with five people, one of them with mobility issues, a popular restaurant that doesn't take reservations is just not on the list, I'm afraid, no matter how good the food is. But mid-week in mid-October, as a solo diner, I had no problem getting a table.

I'd forgotten about the calamari. Yes, it's wonderful. But I've been to places in the world where this much food would sustain a family of four for about two days. This is not an appetizer for one person. It's something to be shared with others. Several others.

The rockfish was done to perfection - served piping hot, perfectly cooked, gently seasoned. The veggies, broccoli and cauliflower, were likewise spot-on. Good shoestring fries, especially with some malt vinegar, something that's not on offer in most places.

A good selection of wines and craft beers, and excellent service, right down to my waiter asking if he should put in my entree order, or if I wanted a bit more time to linger over the calamari. A refreshing change from the "hurry up and finish your appetizer, we need the table" routine you get in a lot of restaurants.

The listing above puts the meal price at $20-$30. In your dreams. Appetizer, entree, two glasses of wine, $55 before tip.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Don' t let the "no" vote fool you. It was an amazing meal but has a long way to be the 'best" meal. Everything I ate was so delicious. From the oysters to the fish. It came highly reccomended and didn't disapoint.Even in September the place was crowded so thats a sign of a good restaurant. I would go back again on my next trip to the beach

1  Thank Beth L
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a bit of a wait for a seat - about 20 minutes. The waiter seemed a bit irritated we were taking our time reading the extensive menu. Although tempted by the raw menu, I ordered the fried oysters. The waiter said nothing, however, when the table behind me ordered the friend oysters the same waiter said he'd recommend the crab cakes since the oysters were small this late in the season. Disappointing that I was not told of this as well, but my oysters were still very tasty and a good-sized portion with delicious green beans.
The restaurant, however, was noisy, cramped, and very warm. If you're looking for a relaxing time with great service, this is not the place. If you're looking for great food, then you should go to the Henlopen City Oyster House.

1  Thank cyndicorn