WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Henlopen City Oyster House

Henlopen City Oyster House
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“GREAT food...long wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have to say this was an amazing place to eat. My family and I stopped in our first night on vacation, based on the trip advisor reviews. We had a pretty long wait for a table, but I guess that was to be expected. My entire family loved their meals. I particularly enjoyed the oyster selections, which I made a meal of. The kids devoured their burgers which is rare. I have to say we would have been back, but the wait was just too long. I'm hoping after the beach season subsides we will be back in town for another round here. WELL WORTH IT!!

• Visited August 2013

Avon, Connecticut
“Oyster Worthy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were able to score seats at a foyer high top rather than having a lengthly wait for a table in the dining room. Good thing because getting the attention of the bartender was close to impossible in the crowded bar. That said, a roving waiter took our drink order quickly and we enjoyed iced cold beer and spicy Bloody Mary's along with a sampler of some of the best oysters ever -- clean, fresh and tasting just like the sea!! My son raved about the lobster roll. Grilled triple tail and bouiliabase entrees were very good as well. Despite the difficulty in the bar, the rest of our experience was very pleasant. I'll be dreaming of those oysters for awhile!

Visited August 2013
FOREST HILLS
“Ready - set - lineup for "Happy Hour"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The lines outside this restaurant begin forming at 2.45. Happy hour is from 3-5. You want to be gentle yet firm enough to push your way through to claim some of the prized spots around the bar or along the countertops. It's as close as you can get to the Bridezillas picking wedding dresses..
Their beer selection is great, so are the small dishes like the sliders, mini burgers, Oysters at $ 1.00 a piece, steamed clams or Shrimp. We did not have a chance to have dinner as the wait for dinner is long. Highly recommended...

• Visited July 2013
Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
“Always delivers the best seafood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We're not quite locals but visit enough to feel like we are and this is our hands down favorite restaurant in Rehoboth/Lewes, DE. The food is always super fresh and super delicious. I've never had fried clams beside the really bad frozen ones you get in a bad restaurant but they have the most delicious fried clams I ever had. The are so tender and the dipping sauce is wonderful. We also love the constantly changing selection of craft beer on draft. Also if your lucky enough to hit it, they have a 7 day a week 3 - 5 happy hour that is AWESOME!

• Visited August 2013
Kennett Square PA
“Crowded: a tripadvisor effect?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went to this restaurant based on the Tripadvisor rating. The restaurant had an hour wait, which we tolerated. When we were finally seated, the service was spotty and we waited to be served for too long. The food was fine, but nothing special and we wondered how this restaurant was different from the identical looking restaurant down the street. In fact, after my husband paid for parking at a meter about two blocks away, he went into the wrong restaurant and then wanted to know where I was! I should have joined him there.

• Visited July 2013