“One of the best meals I've ever had”

Henlopen City Oyster House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I got the fried oysters over mashed sweet potatoes with the caramel and bacon sauce, with Brussels sprouts. It was so good - I almost licked the plate. The wine selection was not great, but that's OK because the food more than made up for it. Definitely go to this restaurant!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Before our recent weekend in Rehoboth, I started researching restaurants to find a nice place for dinner on Saturday evening. I came across reviews for Helopen City Oyster House but was hesitant to try it because I saw they don't take reservations. We decided to take a chance and go for an early dinner. We got there a few minutes before 5. They had happy hour going on at the bar & started seating for dinner at 5. WIthin a few minutes, the entire restaurant was full!

The hostess originally put us in a small corner with a few tables by the bar but it was so loud because of happy hour that we couldn't hear ourselves so we asked to be switched. We moved to the main dining room which was better. It's still a loud restaurant but we could carry on a conversation.

I had high expectations for the food based on the reviews and the crowd, shockingly enough, the food exceeded my expectations! My husband got the fried oysters which were excellent. But, the star of the show was my meal, the fried scallops with bacon caramel sauce (!) and mashed sweet potatoes. It also comes with spicy brussel sprouts but I substituted asparagus. This dish was absolutely incredible! I gave several bites to my husband and he was impressed as well.

Despite how busy the dining room was, our waitress was efficient and attentive. The service we received was excellent.

We will be returning here on our next trip to Rehoboth without a doubt!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Lots of fund great atmosphere.Fabulous oysters great service.you can bring the kids.I always look forward to going to Henlopen Oyster Company when I am in Rehoboth slong with Big Fish.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

First time in Rehoboth. A friend recommended that we come here because we love oysters. We went for happy hour and got a dozen oysters for $14. They were incredible along with the steamed clams and steamed shrimp. Go early and sit at the bar . Jamie was our bartender and was awesome. We will go back tomorrow for dinner.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Best lobster role I've ever had outside of Maine; even the mundane Po' Boy sandwich (w/clam strips) managed to elicit sighs. We ordered 2 rounds of clams casino, they seemed to have forgotten the clams in the first, so miniscule were the bits of clam, but the second was heavenly. Addictive, though someone should suggest they offer bread to sop up the delicious juices. Even the house salad managed to impress. Kate, our server, was amazing. Attentive yet unobtrusive. One of the reasons we were in Rehoboth was to dine here.