New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Overrated - Underdelivered on flavor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Henlopen City Oyster House

Henlopen City Oyster House
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lewes, Delaware
“Overrated - Underdelivered on flavor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wife and I ate at Henlopen City Oyster House for dinner. This was our second trip to the restaurant - very disappointed. I had the rockfish and she had the scallop entree. Both entrees were average at best and lacking in flavor. The house salads that accompanied both meals were the same - average and bland. Maybe we hit the place on an off-night, but we both find it hard to believe that this is the #2 restaurant in Rehoboth Beach. Our bill was $70 for two. Not a good value. I waited for the server to ask us how we enjoyed our meal, but she never asked. I would recommend looking at other dinning options at the beach.

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars

York, pA
“amazingly fresh seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Beer list offers really rare items. Oysters were so fresh and delicious. Fried clams were just ok. Lobster mac and cheese was very good, wish it was baked though. The old bay shrimp were cooked to perfection. This is a great place to eat.

Visited February 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Went to Henlopen City Oyster House for lunch with my husband. We sat at the bar and talked to some great people. I had the Cowboy oysters and my husband had the crawfish gumbo for appetizers. Amazing!!! For lunch I had a mahi mahi sandwich and my husband had the oyster po boy. Both were fantastic. The atmosphere was great and the food was excellent. I would suggest getting there early as the place gets packed even on the off season!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank jen Z
Waterford, Ireland
“Busy spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Lovely service. Really good food but felt the menu was limited for my son. Ideal if it was just myself and my husband

• Visited August 2011
Baltimore, MD
“Great Seafood & Drinks, Reasonably Priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

My wife and I ate here twice during one week in September. Food was consistently good and fair priced (disclosure: we live near DC so we're used to paying a lot for decent seafood). We liked the overall feel and decor of the restaurant, and the servers seemed pretty knowledgeable about the food and drinks, and were able to give good suggestions. We plan to visit again the next time we are in Rehoboth!

• Visited September 2011