“Don't Sit in Front of the Door”
Review of Cafe Azafran

Cafe Azafran
Ranked #13 of 286 Restaurants in Rehoboth Beach
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were excited to try a this restaurant. We saw the Groupon and read the reviews and it sounded wonderful. Our experience was a bit different. The Groupon was presented as purchasing two $40 values for $20 values. However, we told we could only use one at a time. So we decided to go with using them for face value. After a lengthy discussion between our waitstaff and someone else, which we could overhear, our waitstaff came back and said we could use our Groupons at face value. I'm still at a loss as to why some restaurants use Groupon to attract customers and then draw an attitude when you try to redeem them. Aren't they supposed to attract customers and then your customer base will tell others about their great experience? But that's just me.

We went on a cold, rainy night and we were seated right in front of the door. Every time the door opened, we were treated to a blast of cold air, which coupled with the coupon, did not create the fun atmosphere that the Fiesta dinnerware and bright decor portrayed.

However, the food was delightful. We ordered from the seafood choose three menu( we were told this is a promotion and not available for Groupon for people who can use their coupon); as we finally were allowed to use our Groupons at face value. The scallops were perfection. The crabcake was Maryland style, a large serving and delicious. The vegetables, a medley and mashed potatoes were seasoned just right. I did not have dessert there because by this time, we were positively frozen due to the door situation.

I'm sorry this restaurant made such a bad impression in the beginning because the food is excellent and the waitstaff was great. I think this establishment really needs to rethink the purpose of using discount coupons, unless their goal is first time - one time visitors only.

1  Thank JoEllen W

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Tapas night was a great night for our party of eight ladies at the beach for a couple of days of bridge. The food was excellent and our waitress was great. We were here last year for our bridge weekend and enjoyed It enough to return We all agreed we will be back here for dinner next time we come to RB

1  Thank JoAnn M
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We actually went to this restaurant with a discount coupon and when I called for a reservation, I was a bit put off, because the young woman I spoke with launched into the restrictions of the coupon immediately. I actually considered cancelling because of this, but then decided to go through with the visit and am I glad we did!
First, our server welcomed us warmly and was very helpful with everything, from menu selection to letting us taste the wine, before we committed to a bottle. I overheard him say this was not his usual night to work, but am I glad he was there, because he allayed my initial hesitation.
The food was absolutely amazing - from flavor to presentation. Although they advertize tapas, we went for the large plates this time. The selections were reasonably priced, with entrees from the low $20 range. The key, though, is the portions were generous, unlike other restaurants in the area! I had the crab cake, which was large and had practically no filler. The accompanying brussel sprouts were sweet and delectable and the potato side was perfect. My husband had a Seafood Tarragano, which was incredible, to say the least! A large clay pot filled with an impressive selection of shellfish and fish in a rich, flavorful broth. I will definitely have to get that next time, but we will be repeat customers and continue to try all their selections - even their vegetarian plate looked delicious and creative! Kudos to our server and the chef!!! I would only gently advise the person answering the phone that night to welcome first and add the restrictions afterwards.

3  Thank Marilyn P
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I found Cafe Azafran online when looking for a last-minute dinner before departing for home. What a find!!! The service was attentive, and the menu selection was eclectic with plenty of choices.

The seating area is very small (which makes conversations difficult), but alot of restaurants are that way... the food certainly makes up for it. I will definitely return next spring!

1  Thank Kristin B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stopped in for a small lunch on the way out of town and it was a pleasant experience. Small seating area and limited menu, but interesting choices abound and they are well executed, I opted for a panini that really hit the spot. With several friends along, I saw several items that were equally appealing, I'd call this a great place for a change of pace from fast food lunches.

1  Thank greenfeet