“Very good food”
Review of Hobos Restaurant + Bar - CLOSED

Hobos Restaurant + Bar
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bountiful, flavorful, organic food lovingly prepared entirely from scratch by Executive Chef Gretchen Hanson in her sassy Global Eco-fusion style Season and local menu chemical and preservative free.
NJ
“Very good food”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The food was original and very good. the atmosphere is quaint. the place had a quirky vibe which may account for the polarizing reviews but we found it very enjoyable and a great experience.

• Visited March 2014

Arlington, Virginia
“I <3 Hobo's”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The food is INCREDIBLE!!! Wow. Can't stop thinking about it. I would recommend to anyone. The drinks are fabulous, and Gretchen (the head chef) is wonderful.

Visited March 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Worst Service, Ever and Dirty!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I went out for brunch on a Sunday and decided to try one of the restaurants off the beaten path. When I come into the restaurant with the baby stroller I was sharply told, "NO STROLLERS!!" But I thought how funny, because they allow dogs? Even though it was a bit chilly, we decided to eat outside. The tables were messy, dirty and the entire front porch looked in need of a good face lift. But I kept telling myself it was probably on purpose to have a "rustic, by-the water atmosphere". The waiter greeted up with teeth that I thought I was going to be sick looking at. I'm not being mean, they were awful and then I looked at his nails- they looked as if he had been digging the vegetables out from the garden, for hours. Again…. told myself something positive to try and enjoy this day out for brunch. First time out in two months since our baby was born. We both ordered the Bloody Mary. One of my favorite drinks. And it tasted like it had dirt in it and CHEAP vodka. It was the worst. As if the rude greeting, distressed atmosphere and dirty waiter weren't enough, when the waiter took my order and I asked for my dressing to be on "the side" (was my ONLY request!), he replied with a snarky smirk and said, "No, we can't do that". I thought he was joking. In my all my years ordering healthy (I"m a fitness trainer), I have NEVER been told no to dressing on the side. With my eyes wide open, I said, "Really?" He said, "I need to know your reason" I said, "Because I have 7 pounds left to lose of this baby weight and I want to make sure I don't eat a lot of dressing". He was VERY annoyed and stomped away like a 5 year old, after he said he'd have to talk with "the chef". He came back and said that they couldn't make my request. If I was gluten intolerant or vegan, they could, but just because I was watching my calories, NO! My husband hates confrontation and we really wanted to enjoy this day out, so I bit my tongue and said, "Ok. But if the chef could be light with the dressing, I would appreciate it." Neither of us could drink our bloody mary's, my husband's sandwich was just ok and my salad was nothing special. It was way over priced. My salad didn't even come with protein and was $15. It was just a whole grain mixed with a few veggies (that were soggy in oil). We ordered the hummus and egg plant dips as apps and the bread it come with was soaked in oil, almost to the point I thought they were fried. I can honestly say, out of all the restaurants I've been in my life, this was the worst service and food. It was awful. I've never given a restaurant a one out of five. Even if the prices were reasonable, I would never go back or recommend. If you are visiting Rehoboth, please know there are many great restaurants, but this is not one of them.

• Visited February 2014
9 Thank mjr06
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Hobos treats you right!”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Some of the best food I've ever had--TRULY homemade with love and thoughfulness. We ordered a wide array of dishes, but the blackened mahi with spicy seafood mac, crab and brie quesadille and mushroom quesadilla really hit home for us! Phenomenal service--they made it feel like a place I had been frequenting for years, and the owner, Gretchen, took the time to come over and talk with us and make sure everything turned out perfect. Amazing experience--cannot wait to go back! (ps the HoboSexual is the most phenomenal cocktail)

Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Some of the best meals I've had!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We took a fairly last minute trip to Rehoboth to get away from NYC where we live. Some quiet, clean air and relaxation is what we were looking for. Not only did we stay in the best B&B I could have hoped (The Rehoboth Guest House), but we also were recommended stopping in at Hobos for dinner since we are both vegetarian.

Walking in, the warmth of the casual atmosphere was inviting and comfortable. The jazz music playing the background was exactly what we needed and wanted and was played soft enough that there was no need to shout or raise our voices much beyond a loud whisper, which added to the romance.

The menus are amazing...truly. There are so many choices for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike! There were so many options, it was surprisingly difficult to choose. The first night we were there, we had quesadillas, which was enough food by itself for two! (we ended up ordering two thinking that they were going to be small coming from NYC--we had a LOT of leftover food!) But thinking the portions were going to be small, we also ordered two sides (If you've been there, you must be thinking we're crazy). One vegan macaroni and cheese and one side of veggies. The mac & cheese is surprisingly rich and smooth, almost buttery in flavor and the texture is so perfect. This could be loved by even the toughest non-vegan! The vegetables were delicious and cooked to perfection-where there was still a 'bite' to the veggie.

The drinks were also fantastic! Our first night we had wine and the Aunt Bunny, which remains my favorite drink of the trip. It was light tasting and refreshing, tasty and balanced between the alcohol in the drink and other flavors/mixers.

We tried many restaurants between lunch and dinner during our stay. Since we were having so much fun at the B&B, we decided to stay another night. On our last night (the extended night), we decided on Hobos once more- we couldn't resist! We talked it up so much that almost ALL of the B&B joined us and we had a blast!

More great food and tasty drinks!! This time I had the Hoborita- it was strong, but fantastic! I shared the vegan mac & cheese with basically everyone there, and the appetizers were addictive.

I'd also like to mention that both nights we were there, Patrick was the gentleman who cared for us and provided some of the best, most genuine service. It's like he knew when we wanted to chat and when we didn't. And when we did chat, he was friendly, shared just enough information about the drinks and the menu to keep you wanting to talk more or ask more, but walked away to leave some mystery to it all. He was generous with his time and high level of customer service and I don't take that for granted.

We also had the opportunity to meet the executive chef and owner, Gretchen, who is gracious, down-to-earth and so friendly it feels like you've known her in your past or want to know her. Her menu is a true reflection of her in the best possible way and I highly recommend stopping in- just be sure to bring your appetite!

• Visited March 2014