“liked the hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
york,pa
“liked the hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

We just returned from a one night stay at the Henlopin Hotel. We were on vacation at a different hotel and were due to go home on 8-25 when my husband became very ill from food poisoning, there was no way we could drive 4 hours up the road with him hugging a toilet. I called the place we were staying and asked if our room was booked for that night and they informed me it was. The had another room available but told us it was a two night minimum stay, which we just stayed 5 nights in another room. I felt this was unjustified and refused to stay there another night. I called around for a place to stay and finally found a room at the henlopin. They let us check in as soon as we got there and did not make us wait until the regular check in time of 4:00. I felt they went out of their way to accomodate my husband and I will return to give them more business due to the generosity of the employee there.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank bojoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2006

I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Henlopen Hotel. My family has been going there for 2 years. We've always found it to be a nice place to stay for a few nights. A few minor notes-- there is one lady at the front desk in the morning that is rather unpleasant and a bit annoying, but don't let her ruin your stay. Everyone else is just fine. Also, when you look at the Henlopen's website it shows the entire building, don't think all of that is the hotel, the smaller part is. The other side is condominiums. This wasn't a problem with my family because this was our second time there and we have stayed at the condominiums previously. Lastly, there is a pool but it's only for the condominiums. A few positive notes-- there is a restraunt on top of the hotel section called "Salero's" but we never bothered to check it out. But since it is on the rooftop of the hotel it has a great view. The Henlopen is right on the boardwalk and only a short walking distance away from the city center, with all the shops and restraunts. All in all if you want a fairly good hotel, a nice beach to relax on, and a short walking distance to shops stay at the Henlopen Hotel.

• Liked — Easy walking Distance
  • Disliked — Unfriendly Staff Member
  • Tips/Secrets — Hotel is smaller section not larger
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Sean D
bethesda, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2006

I will remember my one night stay at the Henlopen for all the wrong reasons. The rooms are nothing like the fairly attractive rooms shown on their website. Upon arrival (we had planned to stay 3 nights) our jaws hit the (dirty) floor upon setting our eyes on the room. It was a depressing, dingy room with spotty carpet. We went back downstairs and asked for a different room which they were able to provide, and it was only a slight improvement over room #1. We decided to tough it out for our stay, but after spending a sleepless night due to an incredibly noisy a/c unit I had to say thanks but no thanks...We walked down to the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel and checked in regardless of $300/night rate. Henlopen calls itself "Rehoboth's first and finest hotel." First maybe, but worlds away from finest. If you are used to anything above Motel 6, skip Henlopen.

• Liked — Located right on the beach
  • Disliked — the building itself, rooms were dingy and dirty, beds uncomfortable and a/c way too noisy!
  • Tips/Secrets — If you demand even a hint of comfort and luxury stay out of the Henlopen
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank allreadytogo

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2006

Friendly, accommodating staff; pretty room; very clean rooms; great location - right on the beach & a nice walk to rehoboth ave; great view - room 316; competitive rates; etc, etc.
Some minor details - hotel is an older building, the corridors were clean but aged, the water initially took a few minutes to heat up for showers.
We'll stay there again every time we go to Rehoboth!

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed here for while attending the Nascar races in Dover. It was an easy trip back and forth to Dover and close to many great restaurants and shopping. The Hotel itself was clean and had a very friendly staff that went out of their way to accommodate. Room was large and updated. Nice bathroom, large kingsized bed, and a balcony that was ocean veiw. The veiw going to our room was not as nice (roof of neighboring building) but once in our room we were pleasantly surprised. Atmosphere was nice and quiet. I plan on staying there again next year.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank kryszkuk
Amherst, NH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2006

We stayed at the Henlopen for five days in May, to beat Rehoboth's heavy tourist season. The other upside to going pre-season is the substantial cost reduction, comparatively speaking, from what we would have paid for the same hotel, peak season. The hotel, rooms, and service were all unremarkable, that is to say, about average considering the season. The hotel is half the size it's portrayed in pictures on the website, as the entire right side of the building are owner-occupied condos. While in May the tourists hadn't yet hit, construction had. Our room was in the first row back from the ocean, so we had a good ocean view, but sadly, couldn't hear it over the sound of jackhammers and men shouting from 8am to 5pm. We were told the construction was being done by the condo association and the hotel management was not involved in that part of the business and could not therefor stop it. We weren't using the hotel for more than a place to sleep, so the noise wasn't that bothersome, however I felt the hotel management should have informed me that construction would be occuring during the duration of our stay. I complained until the management agreed to comp one night's stay and later another night's stay because of a problem with the room's bed. Did I mention the elevator was out of service intermitantly? Again, not a problem for us, but possibly an issue for elderly guests. All problems aside, the hotel was average. They supplied free coffee and pastries in the morning we'd take out to the boardwalk and watch the sun rise before coming back to a very clean room and friendly smiles from the staff.

This was my first time staying at a hotel in Rehoboth Beach, as my family has cottages in The Pines neighborhood and we usually stay in one of these when making the trip down. All said, should I have to stay in a hotel in Rehoboth during a future visit, I would choose to stay at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel, not the Henlopen.
Addressing some feedback from other reviewers as to dining spots. My recommendations are Breakfast: Boardwalk Plaza Restaurant (part of Boardwalk Hotel), Pasqualini's Bakery; Dinner, on route one: Big Fish Grill or Rehoboth Fish Market for their crab cakes (they will fry there or pack to go). Dinner, within walking distance to boardwalk: Back Porch Cafe, Jakes. For boardwalk fare: Fries: Thrashers; Ice cream: Kors Bros Frozen Custard on Rehoboth Ave. (recommend the vanilla chocolate swirly; Royal Treat or Kings, just across the avenue from Kors Bros, makes it's own award winning ice cream (recommend the coconut with a scoop of triple chocolate); Taffy: Dolle's (it's a tradition, you have to go).

• Stayed May 2005
11 Thank suparran
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2005

We have just returned from 5 days at the Henlopen Hotel. The hotel is magnificent. They have remodeled the entire Hotel and the lobby was very nice and our hotel room was spacious and clean. Our hotel room provided a wonderful view of the Ocean and the Boardwalk. The hotel provided coffee and danishes in the morning in the lobby. They have a restaurant on the 8th floor and heard it has great food and atmosphere, We did not try it this time but we will next year as we have already made our reservations for next September. They do not have a pool which is a little disappointing but with the remodel...maybe it's in the plans.

We have stayed in many different hotels in Rehoboth Beach and overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in at the beach and I am extremely fussy! The hotel sits right on the boardwalk at the north end of Rehoboth and the beach is right there. We want to thank everyone at the hotel for making our visit a pleasurable one.

11 Thank Rachel M