“Henlopen a major disappointment”
Review of Henlopen Hotel

Henlopen Hotel
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed August 11, 2006

I will remember my one night stay at the Henlopen for all the wrong reasons. The rooms are nothing like the fairly attractive rooms shown on their website. Upon arrival (we had planned to stay 3 nights) our jaws hit the (dirty) floor upon setting our eyes on the room. It was a depressing, dingy room with spotty carpet. We went back downstairs and asked for a different room which they were able to provide, and it was only a slight improvement over room #1. We decided to tough it out for our stay, but after spending a sleepless night due to an incredibly noisy a/c unit I had to say thanks but no thanks...We walked down to the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel and checked in regardless of $300/night rate. Henlopen calls itself "Rehoboth's first and finest hotel." First maybe, but worlds away from finest. If you are used to anything above Motel 6, skip Henlopen.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank allreadytogo
There are newer reviews for Henlopen Hotel

Reviewed June 30, 2006

Friendly, accommodating staff; pretty room; very clean rooms; great location - right on the beach & a nice walk to rehoboth ave; great view - room 316; competitive rates; etc, etc.
Some minor details - hotel is an older building, the corridors were clean but aged, the water initially took a few minutes to heat up for showers.
We'll stay there again every time we go to Rehoboth!

• Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 4, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed here for while attending the Nascar races in Dover. It was an easy trip back and forth to Dover and close to many great restaurants and shopping. The Hotel itself was clean and had a very friendly staff that went out of their way to accommodate. Room was large and updated. Nice bathroom, large kingsized bed, and a balcony that was ocean veiw. The veiw going to our room was not as nice (roof of neighboring building) but once in our room we were pleasantly surprised. Atmosphere was nice and quiet. I plan on staying there again next year.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank kryszkuk
Reviewed February 2, 2006

We stayed at the Henlopen for five days in May, to beat Rehoboth's heavy tourist season. The other upside to going pre-season is the substantial cost reduction, comparatively speaking, from what we would have paid for the same hotel, peak season. The hotel, rooms, and service were all unremarkable, that is to say, about average considering the season. The hotel is half the size it's portrayed in pictures on the website, as the entire right side of the building are owner-occupied condos. While in May the tourists hadn't yet hit, construction had. Our room was in the first row back from the ocean, so we had a good ocean view, but sadly, couldn't hear it over the sound of jackhammers and men shouting from 8am to 5pm. We were told the construction was being done by the condo association and the hotel management was not involved in that part of the business and could not therefor stop it. We weren't using the hotel for more than a place to sleep, so the noise wasn't that bothersome, however I felt the hotel management should have informed me that construction would be occuring during the duration of our stay. I complained until the management agreed to comp one night's stay and later another night's stay because of a problem with the room's bed. Did I mention the elevator was out of service intermitantly? Again, not a problem for us, but possibly an issue for elderly guests. All problems aside, the hotel was average. They supplied free coffee and pastries in the morning we'd take out to the boardwalk and watch the sun rise before coming back to a very clean room and friendly smiles from the staff.

This was my first time staying at a hotel in Rehoboth Beach, as my family has cottages in The Pines neighborhood and we usually stay in one of these when making the trip down. All said, should I have to stay in a hotel in Rehoboth during a future visit, I would choose to stay at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel, not the Henlopen.
Addressing some feedback from other reviewers as to dining spots. My recommendations are Breakfast: Boardwalk Plaza Restaurant (part of Boardwalk Hotel), Pasqualini's Bakery; Dinner, on route one: Big Fish Grill or Rehoboth Fish Market for their crab cakes (they will fry there or pack to go). Dinner, within walking distance to boardwalk: Back Porch Cafe, Jakes. For boardwalk fare: Fries: Thrashers; Ice cream: Kors Bros Frozen Custard on Rehoboth Ave. (recommend the vanilla chocolate swirly; Royal Treat or Kings, just across the avenue from Kors Bros, makes it's own award winning ice cream (recommend the coconut with a scoop of triple chocolate); Taffy: Dolle's (it's a tradition, you have to go).

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank suparran
Reviewed September 11, 2005

We have just returned from 5 days at the Henlopen Hotel. The hotel is magnificent. They have remodeled the entire Hotel and the lobby was very nice and our hotel room was spacious and clean. Our hotel room provided a wonderful view of the Ocean and the Boardwalk. The hotel provided coffee and danishes in the morning in the lobby. They have a restaurant on the 8th floor and heard it has great food and atmosphere, We did not try it this time but we will next year as we have already made our reservations for next September. They do not have a pool which is a little disappointing but with the remodel...maybe it's in the plans.

We have stayed in many different hotels in Rehoboth Beach and overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in at the beach and I am extremely fussy! The hotel sits right on the boardwalk at the north end of Rehoboth and the beach is right there. We want to thank everyone at the hotel for making our visit a pleasurable one.

11  Thank Rachel M
New York New York
Reviewed August 20, 2005

This was the worst place I ever went to...checked, saw the room and checked out.....unbelievable the difference between whats on the web and the reality......disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lebanon,Pa
Reviewed July 30, 2005

During the last week of july i wanted to make reservations at the henlopen hotel. i called on three different mornings between 8 and 9am and was told by a woman who answered the phone that reservations was closed and would open later in the day. on the third day (friday the 29th) that i called i was told by the same woman that reservations would not be open until monday morning. she then proceeded to slam the phone down but not before letting loose with a few words of profanity about her not feeling well and her throat being sore. i could not believe what i just heard. i decided that i would find lodging elsewhere. i called the boardwalk plaza and booked my weeks vacation there. they were more than happy to take my reservation. apparently i'm not good enough to stay at the henlopen hotel or they dont need my money. Before I wrote this I had my girlfriend call the hotel on sunday the 31st and she spoke to a very pleasant gentleman named Jeff who went over availability with her and gave her prices. She asked him that if she wanted to book with the henlopen should she call back and ask for him. HE TOLD HER NO THAT SOMEONE IS ON DUTY 24HRS A DAY 7DAYS A WEEK. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS APPARENTLY JEFF NEEDS TO CHECK WITH THE WOMAN WHO ANSWERS THE PHONE BECAUSE HE HAS NOT BEEN INFORMED OF THE NEW COMPANY POLICY

Stayed: July 2005