“Good location, but kind of a mill”
Review of Henlopen Hotel

Henlopen Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Elk Grove, California
“Good location, but kind of a mill”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Location was right at the end of the boardwalk -- 5 minutes from the "main drag" of the boardwalk, so easy access to the whole pizza slice/Thrasher's fries/Fisher's popcorn scene. Also, very good market (Lingo's?) one block up from the boardwalk. The hotel was fine -- rooms were average, beds moderately comfortable. The hotel is large -- like something you would expect in Ocean City, not Rehoboth -- and it was basically a hotel mill. But, if you're there for the beach, that doesn't matter, right? Service was average -- neither noticeably pleasant or noticeably rude. I didn't like that you couldn't lock the deadbolt from outside -- lock would've been easy to pick if someone were inclined to break in. Breakfast was not worth mentioning -- prewrapped muffins and bagels, and little creamers for your coffee (not real milk).

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
ellicott city, md.
Reviewed June 22, 2009

just went to a wedding at the Henlopen hotel. based on the prior reviews and pictures I wasn't expecting much. They do not have hair driers! Who doesn't have them these days!! The wedding was a six in the room on the 8th floor used for parties. It was lovely. They did a really nice job and the food was good.When I called 2 days before to get an early check in and was told not possible, check in was at 4. I was told I could try at 3 0'clock and was successful in my attempt. The room was old and a little tired but MUCH better than I thought it would be. It was clean except for the half finished drink in the TV cabinet. I guess the maids forgot to look in there while cleaning. The towels were not plush, but at least they weren't stiff and scratchy. I would not stay here for a week @$199 a night(wedding deal?!) but it was in a good location(right on boardwalk) and the check in was smooth and friendly. If you are looking for an updated ,nice or plush hotel this is not the place for you. loved the little town and boardwalk alot.

PA
Reviewed June 16, 2009

This trip was a last minute idea for a quick beach get away. We had been to the Henlopen many years ago and called to see if any rooms were available. We got a room for $125.00 a night since we are AAA members. This is a great rate for a room on the Boardwalk. The room had two beds, a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and a balcony. Everything was very clean. The staff was very pleasant from check-in to check-out. A parking space was included with the room. A breakfast was included with the room-packaged muffins, cereal bars, canned juice, and coffee. I didn't have that because they are so many places to eat in Rehoboth. The hotel is located at the north end of the Boardwalk and is very quiet. Rehoboth Ave. has many attractions and is a short walk from the hotel on the Boardwalk.

kensington, md
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and I needed a place to stay in Rehoboth for one night away from the crowds and with an ocean view without spending too much. We found the Henelopen by walking along the boardwalk. We noticed it because all of the rooms have a balcony and most of the rooms have a view of the ocean. We got a standard room and from our balcony we could see and hear the ocean. If you want a full ocean view you have to pay for an "ocean view" room. I think the rest of the rooms in the back have a pond view which is also nice.

The staff were friendly and helpful and willing to rent us a room for just one night (which is hard to do at this time of year). The rooms were clean and comfortable. Each room came with parking and they had a changing room with shower for after checkout.

They also offered a very simple breakfast of muffins, coffee and juice.

The only thing I thought was strange, was there was not a place outside on the walkway were we could rinse off the sand from our feet before entering the hotel.

Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed June 8, 2009

After scouring the internet to find a nice hotel in Rehoboth Beach for a last minute weekend, (not that crazy) I found the Henlopen Hotel. I thought that I would give it a shot and check availability. I filled out the online information and awaited the email. I received a short reply that basically said that since I was late, I should call. So, I call the hotel and simply ask the concierge if there was a room available for the weekend, to which I received a snort and then, "That's just not possible."
1) Why couldn't you just say that in the email? -No availability; like the other five places I tried (who were very nice BTW) and 2) Did you really need to laugh about it? It was rude and gratuitous, and frankly not necessary. As it turns out, I just made reservations, AT THE LAST MINUTE, with a very nice young woman at Avenue Inn and Spa at a very reasonable rate. If that's how the Henlopen Hotel treats potential guests over the phone, I don't even want to imagine how they must be to their faces. You turned me off, and I know I can find better accomodations in Rehoboth.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrodkey

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Delaware
Reviewed April 15, 2009

It was unimpressive at first, the exterior. The staff well made up for it. The lady concierge was very friendly and open ( Pete, the night concierge was just as gracious). Since I booked online I told her what I was expecting, a view. She then switch our original room to one with a much better ocean view. No extra charge. It was an ocean front view from the balcony, sitting from the bed and a partial view from the bath tub.
The morning breakfast was sufficient as well with other friendly hotel guests. The area is quiet and away from the boardwalk party crowd. It was an overall relaxing mini R and R for my myself and two teenage girls.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BeachloverDelaware
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed here one night for our friends' wedding. The hotel staff was very nice. The room was average. It was clean, but the bedspreads definitely could be updated. I guess it was pretty much what I expected from a non-chain hotel at the Del. boardwalk. The location was great, right on the beach. And the hotel seemed to do a great job putting on our friends' wedding. Overall, I would recommend the hotel for people who want an average room that you aren't going to be spending a lot of time in, moreso spending you time at the beach.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple