“Perfect Place at the Beach”
Review of Oceanus Motel

Oceanus Motel
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed July 20, 2007

We just had a family reunion in Rehoboth, and the Oceanus was perfect. The rooms are simple but plenty of room, extremely clean, comfortable beds, fluffy towels & so reasonable! What more could ya ask for? It's one of the few times we've requested adjoinging rooms and gotten them. We could step out on the balcony & see the ocean 2 short blocks away. It was handy to an Irish bar and a nice French restaurant across the street. The folks in the office were very friendly and it feels good to support a local motel. The pool looked inviting and how awesome is it to be 2 blocks away from Dolle's caramel popcorn, Nicola Pizza, Gus 'n' Gus cheesesteaks, Funland (you're never too old for Skeeball) and of course the beach. We'd go back in a heartbeat & hope to!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nlchica

Reviewed July 6, 2007

I had not been to Rehoboth Beach in years, and while it's a pleasant place to spend a couple days, it's become almost too popular in the summer. There are big crowds on the beach, crowds in the shops, crowds in the motels, crowds in the restaurants. I don't think I could stand it for more than a few days. With that in mind, the Oceanus is a good option for a brief visit to the beach. As others have observed in their reviews, the Oceanus is exceedingly clean. I don't know how they do it with all the sand, rocks, bugs and dampness of a beach location, but you do feel that great attention is paid to keeping things up. That goes for the pool as well, which also had nice big planters of flowers in the deck area to make it quite attractive. The staff was fine, though I can't say I was overwhelmed by their helpfulness like some other reviewers. My daughter felt a little rebuffed by one gentleman at the desk when she asked a question. Our room was pretty basic - two double beds, a TV with lots of cable channels, a small refrigerator tucked back in a corner and microwave, sink area outside the bathroom, bathroom with toilet and shower with rather weak pressure though plenty of hot water. This is what you get for $219 a night during the high season of July, which seems a little stiff to me even for Rehoboth, but - again, it's clean, and I don't know how other nearby motels shape up in that department. The location, though not on the beach, is great. You are just a few blocks from the beach and close to restaurants, plus the area is pretty quiet, except for early-morning trash pickup. I suppose I could have also done without the people up early with their small children walking by our door and talking loudly to one another, but that's not the motel's fault. Be aware the parking area is small and quite tight. It was also full when I arrived, so I had to block other cars in the lot while I went in the office, since there is nowhere to pull up and park during check-in. There seemed to have been some kind of damage done to someone's car on the morning we left and the police were there to take a report. Also, I would not expect to leave a car on the property after check-out if the motel is full for the next night. I was told that those arriving early for check-in would take precedence and apparently everyone arrives early. All in all, certainly not the fanciest motel I've ever stayed in, but clean, safe and in a nice location.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank daisygirl59
Reviewed June 10, 2007

The Oceanus is a good choice for those looking for a clean room, a nice pool, and a central location. It is within walking distance of everything you want in Rehoboth (2-1/2 blocks to the beach). This is not a luxury place, but we were very happy with our recent stay. The decor is a little drab/dated but the rooms are clean, each room has an outdoor 'balcony' with chairs looking out on an immaculately-clean pool, the parking is easy (with overflow at a public lot very nearby), and the staff is friendly. Continental breakfast in the form of weak coffee & grocery-store donuts will tide you over until you can get a table at the fabulous & delicious Retro Cafe, 2 blocks down Wilmington Ave. And best of all, it won't break the bank, even in season.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank DCEllenH
Reviewed January 12, 2007

For a last minute getaway with everything booked in Rehoboth Beach this place served it's purpose. The gentleman at the desk when we checked in was very friendly as well as the woman we saw in the morning. The place was clean and a short walk to the resturants and shopping. Overall I was happy with the Motel. Not a luxury destination but a simple, clean, and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kryszkuk
Reviewed August 29, 2006

The Oceanus Motel is two blocks from the beach, directly
across from an Irish Pub and a fine restaurant, and an easy stroll to the shops at Rehoboth.

The rooms are well appointed, clean and comfy. The staff is far and away the friendliest and most helpful that we have found in the USA. Perhaps it is because of the staff that the guests seem friendly also.

We had a wonderful time. Don't hesitate to book at the Oceanus.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Duchess42
Reviewed August 19, 2006

I really researched every place to stay in Rehoboth and after reading a few good reviews at this site I decided to book my stay. (and I am glad I did) My 9 y.o daughter and I traveled together and we found the motel very clean and updated & the best part was that it had a brand new bathroom-yay! It is a motel dont forget not a luxury resort so I am basing this on what it is and for a motel is was just perfect.........The location was also perfect - we could stop by the room to drop off beach chairs or restock our cooler late in the day and return to the beach or cleanup and head over to the avenue for snacks or shopping. Everything is just 1-2 blocks in either direction........AND the staff in both the front office and housekeeping were lovely..........WE HAD A GREAT WEEK ! - (Rehoboth in general is a great family vacation - plenty of activities - great surf - a clean and safe beach (both day and night we felt extremely safe) a few arcades - tons of snack , ice cream, french fry and candy places ...BUT also really fine dining - we tried "Taste" which was a keeper (everything was home made - the lobster,shrimp sandwich with garlic aioli and awesome,coleslaw with a touch of horseradish was killer and the steak was cooked to perfection)- Jakes was great for our steamed clams and mussel meal and the crab?-claw -in the center of town-was great for all u can eat stone crabs (ask for the seasoning on the side not the top)-DOS Locos had great fish tacos and GO Fish had even greater fish and chips (thrashers of course did have better fries but "go fish" had perfect cod and huge shrimp- u can skip thier fries) we even went to dewey beach to rent wave runners and had a pretty good lunch overlooking the bay at rudrunners ....onto route 1 to go go-karting and outlet shopping (BTW _-DELAWARE HAS NO TAX ON ANYTHING FROM THE HOTEL TO THE MEALS TO THE GIFTS-AMAZING FOR A NEW YORKER...all this is within 1-2 miles from the oCEANUS........ and we EVEN STOPPED TO glaze pottery which was fired overnight and looked professional the next day right in town !!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank QueenstoLIFamily
Reviewed August 7, 2006

I chose the Oceanus Motel based mostly on the reviews I read here. Also, the price was slightly better the place we stayed last year. When we arrived and saw the pool and how nice the room was, I was pleasantly surprised! We will definately choose the Oceanus Motel every time we go to Rehoboth Beach!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family