“Arrogant, Conceited, unwelcoming, Hypocrite, etc.,”

and 1 more site!
Boardwalk Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
“Arrogant, Conceited, unwelcoming, Hypocrite, etc.,”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We visited Boardwalk Plaza last year. We enjoyed our stay very much, so we decided to visit again this year. We travel a lot during the year and know what is a good hotel services. I tried for more than six weeks to reserve two ocean front rooms and was not successful. When I call, the reservation desk, they will ask how many in my party. Once I tell them, they say there are no rooms available. So I decided to contact a travel agency. Although I just called the hotel at noon on the same day I contacted the travel agency and the reservation operator indicated there were fully booked for those dates. The travel agency was able to get us two rooms at 2 pm on the same day I called at noon (go figure). I also learned that the hotel reserved ocean front room to a family who walked in on the same day for just one night. In any event, we arrived early than the check in time. My impression of the front desk staff were very stiff, abrupt, rude, unwelcoming...etc., They indicated both of our rooms were not ready and they guarantee check in @ 3. At around 11:30 am, I asked what was the room #'s? The front desk staff said, we don't know yet. Than I ordered lunch from the restaurant and said to the server that I don't know my room #. The server said no problem, just print your name and sign and will be added to your bill. I went back @ 1:30 to check if at least one room is ready. A staff member said one is ready. The other immediately responded no non of your rooms are ready. So I said than you and waited in the spa area until 2:30 pm the bell person came to let me know my rooms were ready.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms/suite are spectacular views.
8 Thank EvelynWilliam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Annapolis
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Boardwalk Plaza is a lovely 40s-style hotel with ocean front rooms, some of which are suites. There is a 4th floor Concierge level for adults only. A small pub, a Victorian restaurant with some outdoor seating, a pool/hot tub with rules for adults only after 8pm. Staff is attentive, eager to please and available. It's wonderful to wake to the sounds of the ocean directly under the balcony and to be pampered. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown restaurants, pubs and shopping.

Room Tip: If money is not a problem ($250.) ask for the suite I mentioned above for adults. There is a differe...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was a nice hotel, but not for a family. The decor is very aclectic, and different. Although, it is steps away from the beach and on the boardwalk. Great Location. The rooms were very clean, and fresh. 2nd Nicest hotel in Rehoboth. Just, this is not the sort of place for a family on a budget. We stayed in a Standard Room (overpriced if I may add). Our room was desent, but not worth the money. The victorian feel is not suitable for children, and with a budget, the Standard room is what you get. And, let me tell you, it was below standard. For 300 hundred dollars per night, we could have gotten a small suite at the Atlantic Sands hotel, gotten a nicer room and saved money. If you stay here, you have to have money for a suite, thats the only way to do it. Anyway, the service is great, kind staff members ready to help you. This is a nice hotel, but mainly for a couple, not a family.

Room Tip: Dont do Standard Rooms, only do suites.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here one weekend in April 2012 with my wife. Parking was very convenient, much more convenient than I had expected. Walking into the hotel, you get an immediate feel for its Victorian character. Staff was very friendly and helpful, and check-in was very smooth. Staff is more than happy to wait on you. We stayed in a room with a limited view of the ocean and boardwalk. The room wasn't spacious, but it was fine for the two of us. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel is right on the boardwalk, and is perfectly situated for a stroll along the boardwalk or beach, and is just a short walk to the shops and restaurants on Rehoboth Avenue. It was an enjoyable stay for the two of us, and we look forward to returning. Rehoboth Beach is a great seaside resort town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
arlington, va
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel does a good job with the "old timey" feel -- from the lobby to the pub. We had an ocean front suite in mid-August and it was so quiet we all slept past 8:00 a.m. most days! This hotel makes everything easy -- check in, parking, towels for the beach, chair/umbrella vouchers for the beach. Helpful staff and very friendly. While we were there, I found a coupon in a boardwalk flyer for $100 off at the Plaza and even though the coupon said to present at check in, the front desk staff accepted it mid-way through our stay. My only complaint really is the pool. It is sooooo small and mainly inside. For kids, the ocean can be too cold and/or rough, so it's nice to have the pool to fall back on. This pool is more of an adult soaking tub. Also, the layout of the "beach front" room was such that the main sleeping area is away from the beach so remains dark while the little living area is on the beach and gets all the light. That said, however, we still really enjoyed the convenience and friendliness of this hotel.

New York
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Board walk Plaza is a Great place to stay if you like a lot of activity and the beach environment. The Hotel is top notch with A plus service from door man to bell boy to maids. They attend to your every whim, and if you pay for all the amenities you have the best stay. We stayed in a suite that slept 5 although we were three, and were very happy with the room. The bar in our room was not open nor did they leave the key to it. We do not use credit cards and pay everything in cash this seems to confuse them and did cause us delays in arriving and checking in and checking out as well. This is also the reason why they did not let us have an open bar I suppose. We were ahead in our payments owing nothing by the time we checked out and again this confused them, as every receipt we received stated that we still had a balance when there was no balance due, they said the receipt kept a balance because we were not checking out.We paid everything as we went along though out our stay. It took us 45 minutes to check out due to the fact that their records did not update fast enough and said that we still owed for a dinner that was paid by our bank card in full.which was $136.88, we refused to pay for it twice and asked for a manager and was told that we had to wait till 10 am to speak with her. It was 9AM at that time. They stated that our card was denied which was impossible, I stated they needed to re examine their records, and after an hour and half had passed and my husband went back to the lobby to pay again for the 136.88 dinner which was already paid... they apologised and stated they didn't understand their mix up! They WERE wrong and it stated that it was paid in full at that time. They didn't know what happened. My husband said to her " NOW how do you feel embarrassing my wife as you did with your lack of knowledge on the status of payments registered in YOUR computers.?" Your Mistake and OUR embarrassing situation." Again the manager was not there and we had to leave because of heavy traffic headed back to NY. They gave us a mug as an apology for the embarrassment and delay. By the way the lobby was full with new arriving guests while this confusion was occurring.

The pool is very warm and small and you can not use it or the roof top if there is rain. they close it down. The coffee machines in the rooms never had enough coffee for three or more guests and never any sugar or cream in the rooms we always had to ask for more to be brought up. For $500.00 a night I found that it was somewhat enjoyable but I will not ever return. I believe that for the expense there should be a more respectful greeting and a more enjoyable departure. If you use cash and do not use credit cards, this is NOT the place to stay. If you use only credit cards then by all means stay but watch the charges. The restaurant and bar are pricey
cosmos are $14.00, a cranberry and vodka is $10.00 not sure why the jump in price but I found that excessive for Delaware. Breakfast for three was $65.00,Dinner for four $300.00 with drinks. I believe that you can get a better value for three thousand dollars at another location, with the same views and the same great service. The gift shop was unique and affordable, I loved the birds in the lobby and the pool area. It was spotless and I enjoyed the stay outside of the front desk and their inability to understand their accounting software.

Room Tip: Beach front third or fourth floor
1 Thank pamknl
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 17, 2012

2nd visit to the Boardwalk Plaza and nothing has changed since last year. It was another great experience! Check-in was effortless and professionally handled. Room was well maintained and nicely appointed. View was spectacular. Staff was all accommodating and really made my wife and I feel like truly welcomed guests. Enjoyed breakfast in the dining room – eat outside if it is not too hot. Service was great and the food was great. Was there attending a meeting and everything ran very smoothly. My wife and I truly enjoyed a very relaxing 3 days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business