“Very Enjoyable Stay”

and 1 more site!
Boardwalk Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My wife and I spent the long Veteran's Day weekend in Rehoboth Beach along with another couple (friends of ours who had recommended this hotel). I have to say that I am perplexed by those people who gave this hotel bad reviews for we encountered none of the negative items they had mentioned. There were no odd odors, the property was kept in pristine condition and the staff were warm, courteous and a pleasure to interact with. As a matter of fact, we found the hotel's attention to detail quite impressive!

We immediately fell in love with the Victorian ambience and enjoyed the various antique items which decorated many nooks and crannies. The oceanfront suite we had was very comfortable and immaculately clean. The sitting room provided us with ample space to relax & take in a beautiful view of the ocean, while listening to the soothing sounds of the pounding surf. (The bathroom was smaller in size, but more than adequate for our needs - with a great showerhead and strong water pressure.) We took advantage of the cozy Indoor Spa Pool's "adult time" (after 8PM) each evening which gave us a chance to soothe our bodies after all of the walking and exploring we did each day. We were especially pleased with the elegant High Tea and the delicious Sunday Brunch served in Victoria's Restaurant. (Our server was Angel who truly lived up to her name!) This was our first time in Rehoboth Beach and we will certainly return - in great part based on our very positive experience at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank RevLou

Reviewed November 12, 2007

This hotel is fabulous. When I stayed in January, there was a bit of a heat wave --- 60deg outside @ 11PM. I couldn't stay indoors and the ocean was beckoning, so I simply walked to downstairs, out a side door and directly onto the boardwalk, then beach..exhilarating.
The room was clean, good size, comfy bed, clean bathroom. I had no complaints. And for you smokers visiting this hotel, they do allow smoking on the balcony.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank fogggin
Reviewed July 28, 2007

This dump has a SERIOUS problem with itchy sheets, possibly even bed bugs - the place is dusty and filthy - you have to ASK the maids to change the sheets (otherwise, they do it only every few days - gross, huh?) and vacuum, even though they charge $500 a night! The people at the front desk are extremely rude, especially Bruce, who yelled at me and then had the nerve to hang up on me when I called. Evidently a miserable human being who hates his job. When I called twice in the early hours of the morning, no one even answered the phone - probably asleep, and they're supposed to be watching the door...Oh, and when we checked out, no one even offered to help us with our luggage, and the red-haired porter stood watching us, smirking, as we labored to carry our bags through the dingy lobby - STAY AWAY from this haunted hotel - you absolutely DO NOT get what you pay for - an all-around HORRIBLE experience!!!

• Stayed: June 2007
16  Thank truthteller2
Reviewed June 27, 2007

The location of this hotel couldn't be beat, right on the boardwalk but far enough down that it wasn't noisy or overcrowded. From the moment we checked in everyone was very freindly and so helpful who went out of their way to accommadate us ( especially
Danniel the night clerk) The room itself was very clean and didn't have that musty smell that shore hotels always have. My biggest regret is that I did not upgrade to a Oceanveiw room.
I found the town to be full of the friendliest people I have ever met . And if your in town you have to eat at Eden it was fantastic!!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank mcottrn
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I called the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel the same day I arrived. I wanted to get the best hotel I could find for a mini getaway for my kids and I on the spur of the moment.

I was traveling with my 11 yr old, 3 yr old and 8 mo. old.

When I originally called, Bruce was very lovely on the phone and told me about the room etc and I was so excited about booking but I had to call back before making a final decision about it... when I called back to book my stay, the lady I spoke to was efficient but not warm and very brusque. I didn't get the warm fuzzies talking to her - it was noteworthy but I brushed it off.

I arrived at 11 pm and the bellhop was nice but odd. He kept asking if he should get my bags. Then he couldn't decide if I should park or he should take the bags and then he was telling me he'd watch my kids in the car (um, no thanks). I hauled everyone into the lobby etc and he finally got the bags.

The check in was fine, the gentleman that helped me was very jovial and pleasant.

I went up to my room and grabbed jackets for the kids and we walked out on the boardwalk and looked at the ocean a little bit because the kids were wound up from being on the road and finally out of the car.
On my way down I went past the front desk to ask for an ethernet cord for my laptop to get their internet access.
The nightmanager (John?) was in the back, I had to ring the bell and he stomped out and was snarly ... he jerked open a drawer, slammed everything around while finding a cord, he slammed the drawer back and practically threw it at me. WOW.

ok. So walked the beach and went back to the room. I was nursing my son and the odor in the room was distinct: Body odor.

What can I say about the 90's psuedo-victorian decor. Old, crumbling eucalyptus /dried silks flower arrangements sitting around and very obviously decorated with textiles that were made popular during the 90's ....which are all dusty rose, green and rosey etc. That's NOT vintage!! The lobby etc smelled like mildew. The bedspreads were faded and the furniture was nothing special. The carpet was outdated ... umm, shouldn't carpeting in a hotel be one of the first things you keep updated?? Yuck.
The room was showing its age badly. The rate was $349 a night which included 2 doubles, 1 small/old bathroom, a sitting area with a television that was so static ridden it was unwatchable.

I decided we had to leave, there was no way I could keep my kids there overnight so I called the front desk and explained we were checking out and would not be using our 4 nights I booked.

The night manager was immediately rude, I told him that I didnt feel comfortable discussing everything and hashing it about, I just wanted to leave. He was yelling at me that he could right the wrongs and sounded like he was gritting his teeth. He also started implying I was trying to skip out on the bill after using their internet for 2 hours ...haha, Oh my God!!! I couldn't believe this guy. I don't need to travel 4 hours with my kids and laptop to get internet at an old overpriced hotel! He asked me over and over why it took me so long to check out - uh, letsee, I had to nurse my son and I'm not the type to run screaming and yelling from a place without giving it the benefit of the doubt but after 2 hours I had had enough!

At 1 in the morning I'm in the lobby with 3 very tired children, our bags and no where to stay arguing with the night manager at the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel to give me my money back! He was YELLING at me and I ended up in tears... everytime I opened my mouth at all he cut me off and kept saying ma'am, stop yelling. I could not even complete a sentence and he was the one yelling. I swear, it was like being in the twilight zone.

I have NO idea why these people still have their AAA diamond award but I did call AAA and complain since I am a member. Apparently I'm not the only one to complain. I hope other members complain as well, it is the best way to get the message out to this hotelier that they are in the industry of hospitality, not rudeness.

I would have driven 4 hours back home to have avoided staying there.

Incidentially , I walked next door and got a room at the Sands and everything here is FABULOUS and half the price!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
17  Thank ashburnburbs
Reviewed June 8, 2007

We don't really enjoy Rehoboth in the summer - it's crowded and dirty (we go to Lewes instead - much quieter and more of an upscale crowd) - but off-season Rehoboth can be quite pleasant. So when we were looking for a mini-vacation over the kids' spring break in March, we decided to stay in Rehoboth. After a lot of Internet research, we chose the Boardwalk Plaza.

The Boardwalk Plaza is not 'fancy' in that it has frette linens or a spa or pay-per-view movies... but we found it to be top-notch with regards to amenities, atmosphere, food, and, most of all, service.

The atmosphere is wonderful - it manages Victorian charm without being stuffy or depressing. My kids loved the old-fashioned phones, the parrots in the lobby, and the wicker chairs in the restuarant. And of course it's right on the beach - there's no beating that.

We had an ocean-front suite which I highly recommend. We had an unbeliveable view from the 'living area' of our suite and it's private balcony. The balcony is directly over the boardwalk itself... and the sand is maybe 20 feet away. It was so relaxing and peaceful to wake up to that view every day - we never wanted to leave. We loved the layout of the suite - the bedroom had 2 queen beds, an armoire, and a TV, and the living area had a pullout bed, chairs, a desk (with internet connection), a second TV, and the balcony. In between is the bathroom area and as a Mom with teenage sons I really appreciated that the bathroom area has sliders to close it off from both the bedroom and the living room. Another great thing about the bathroom is that the toilet and shower are in one room, and the vanity and sinks are in an larger more open space.

The Boardwalk Plaze is small enough to be intimate, and the staff is incredibly well-trained. We were amazed by the outstanding service and attention offered by every employee - from the bellman, to every waiter, to the exceptional front desk staff. One day (in March!) we were blessed with 80 degree weather and I was lamenting that I hadn't brought beach chairs. A staff member overheard me and loaned me her personal beach chair! They also mailed some postcards free of charge. The waiters and other staff quickly came to know our family, and brought my youngest son his favorite chocolate milk to the pool every day. The room service staff is open to special requests and helpful with set-up of the trays. Every staff member there was friendly and helpful. Amazing!

One of our favorite things was the indoor/outdoor 'pool'. This is not really a pool but more like a very big spa. At 9pm it is closed to kids, and the jets are turned on. But until 9pm it is open to families and my kids loved it. It is big enough to do some swimming and splashing around, and it has a 'gate' to swim under if you wanted to swim outside. The best part was that I could sit in a lovely wicker rocking chair in a gorgeous plant-filled sunroom, and read a book, watch the kids, and have someone bring me drinks and appetizers (the menu and phone to room service are right there). BLISS!
I do imagine that this pool is too crowded in season, and not very refreshing - but the ocean is right there so a pool isn;t really necessary in the summer months anyway.

We had room service breakfast every day and the chocolate croissant was good enough to dream about later. We had dinner in the on-site restaurants - consistently good. Yes, they are bit over-priced, like all hotel restaurants. For lunch we drove into Lewes to our favorite beach lunch spot - Striper Bites.

The whole mini-vacation (4 nights) was heaven and I'm sorry we didn't stay longer. We won't go back this summer (and I believe the prices are substantially higher in season) but we can't wait to return as soon as Fall rolls around....

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank brookemom
Reviewed June 6, 2007

I had read the great reviews about the Boardwalk Plaza and was looking forward to a great vacation. But, while my stay wasn't the worst beach hotel experience I've ever had (no bed bugs, no loud children, no totally tasteless food), the Plaza was less than stellar. To begin with, we arrived to find that renovations were underway, and so during the day we had the pleasure of listening to drilling and hammering in the adjoining rooms (they seemed to be putting down new carpet, among other things). In addition, we experienced some other problems with our room, and the hotel, while moderately responsive, failed to offer us another room or to make any efforts to "make good" on our bad experience (no offer for a discount, or a reduced rate for a future visit). All we got was "try us back again, and hopefully your experience will be better." Nice try, but no cigar! Sad thing is, it appears to be one of hte nicer properties on the DELMARVA coastline. But, I guess appearances can be deceiving.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends