“Just OK”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
Herndon, VA
“Just OK”
Reviewed July 25, 2010

This campground is probably 75% seasonal campers with sewage hook-up. We brought our pop-up and used the campground bathroom facilities. YUCK! Only three toilets and three showers for the entire campground. No set time for closing the bathrooms for "cleaning", so you couldn't plan your shower around their schedule. So what do I mean by "YUCK"? Floors that were covered with mud and sand. Floors in the "cabin bathhouse" that felt like they give at any moment. Two of the three toilets at one point were out of service, and the mold and mildew in the showers could have been easily fixed by purchasing and hanging new shower curtains.

The campsites were roomy and flat, no problems there, and we had no problem with the check-in process, unlike some of the other travellers who have submitted their reviews.

Campground is on the shuttle route to the beach, which I thought was a great feature.

All in all, we won't be going back. There are a few other campgrounds nearby which we will consider next time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank redheadmom23
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
We give everyone a map upon arrival, with bathhouses identified. If in doubt, all is needed is to ask. There are numerous bathroom facilities throughout the park.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2010

After reading the reviews on this campground, we were very weary of our selection, but were willing to take the chance due to the campground's proximity to the beach and public transportation. We also discovered this campground is very near a bike trail which runs from the town of Lewes to Cape Henlopen State Park and Rehoboth.
We were assigned a site across from the pool (that is where the more level, spacious sites were, by the way) and it all worked out great. The bathrooms were nice; tiled and clean and held up well in an area where everyone comes back from the beach and heads straight for the showers to get all the muck off.
The owners were not the friendliest, but weren't rude either. The playground was great, the dumpsters were emptied every other day, and the campground was quiet.
I would not have liked it as much if we had not had the sites we did. The main part of the campground is hilly, and the sites are small and close.
As far as the Dixie/Confederate items (I'm from the North), I was not offended, nor did I see any campers displaying Confederate items. One corner of the store had kind of a collector's corner, where there were Dixie/Confederate items for sale. Kind of reminded me of the Dukes of Hazzard.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay and the beautiful bike trail to the beaches. Hope to see you again soon!
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed June 1, 2010

this was a very bad camping experience. to start with there wasn't any room between the camp sites, we had to listen to the guy in the site next to ours snore all night. it was very loud cars were going in and out until 2 in the morning. it was a bad experience pretty much altogether. the only good thing i can say is the pool was nice and the bathrooms were clean.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
We are in a very expensive area and although we would love to enlarge the sites, we feel that most people would not be willing to pay additional fees to cover the loss of revenue needed to maintain the facility.

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Wilmington, De
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Over all not a bad campground. I agree with the others when saying the people in the office are not the nicest people in town! Over the phone they are rushed and quite nasty. when you arrive (and are paying) they seem to be a little more eager to help you. Yes, the bathrooms aren't always up to par, but hey, after all, it is a campground and that is to be expected. Can be very crowded at times, but compared to the other campgrounds in the area (we have stayed at most of them) this is the one my family and I will continue to stay at.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
This is a small family business and if we seem rushed on the phone, we are probably registering someone in and working the register at the same time. It is not that we don’t care; we are just trying to take care of everyone’s needs simultaneously.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My family has been coming to Big Oaks for about 10 years now, for a week every summer. We have a popup that we all stay in (2 parents, 4 now teenagers) and we go to the beach early in the morning and come back for dinner and a campfire. The campground is only 2.5 miles from the beach and is also close to lots of places to eat and grocery stores as well as all the outlets (very helpful if you happen to forget any staples). When we were younger we all enjoyed the playground and we still enjoy the gameroom (with arcade games and a pool table as well as shuffleboard) and the pool. I have many fond memories of past vacations. The campground itself is very nice, the bathrooms are clean and I love all the big, old trees they have. The service was always topnotch. The campground has been run by the same family for years and they really care about what they do. This past summer I stayed with my Mom for an extra week before the rest of our family came up because she had a class to take (she's a teacher). We arrived at night and my mom was very worried about getting in our spot and unloading everything on her own. One of the staff drove down with us and helped back up, block the trailer, and unpack! And that is only one example of the great service we have had over the years.I would definetely recommend Big Oaks to anybody, whether they have small children (i had fun then) or teenagers (my siblings still have fun) or in their 20s ( i still have fun) or even older couples (my parents want to go back on their own and my grandparents have done the same and enjoyed it), it is a great family atmosphere at a great location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
So glad that you went from a family tradition to part of our family :)
west chester
Reviewed January 7, 2010

the staff was very helpful and even helped back up our camper so my wife could stay in the truck with the ac. My kids loved the pirate ship on the play ground and the pool side snack bar was great. It was a very safe environment and i found it easy to relax

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
We are very glad that you had a relaxing vacation! We always try to do what we can to help our customers start off their vacation on a good note and that includes a stress-free back-in. We hope to see you again soon!
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed October 7, 2009

It was my Husband and I and our 2 boys 8 & 2. We rented a Cabin and were surprised at just how nice they are. We were not sure of the place when we saved the date due to no credit cards and sending in a deposit. However, it turned out to be our best trip to the beach ever. The bath houses are very clean and the cabins are far enough apart that you don't feel like you are on top of each other. The owners who run the place are so super nice...very in touch with the civil war and all the extra they due for the veterans and the stories they told me were amazing. They are people who care and are very big hearted doing what they love. The swimming pool was great the kids loved it and the access to Rehobath and Lewes it was right in the middle of the 2. They also loved the park and the bunny rabbit they have for a pet. We will be back and this time maybe stay for a week. The only thing I recomend is to take an eggshell mattress because the beds are not soft. They are like hospital beds with the vinal covers...needed i'm sure because of the bugs and wilderness. I've been telling all my friends and family and I would tell anyone this is a very nice campground to stay at when you have young kids and enjoy the woods.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
We are so happy that your family enjoyed their stay with us. We really do care about what we do here and it is very important to us that we are always doing our best so that our customers can have a great vacation just like you did! Thank you so much for recommending us to your friends and family, we hope to see you all soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rehoboth Beach
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
#11 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#14 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
#1 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,633 reviews

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!