“family tradition”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Big Oaks Family Campground
Pennsylvania
“family tradition”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My family has been coming to Big Oaks for about 10 years now, for a week every summer. We have a popup that we all stay in (2 parents, 4 now teenagers) and we go to the beach early in the morning and come back for dinner and a campfire. The campground is only 2.5 miles from the beach and is also close to lots of places to eat and grocery stores as well as all the outlets (very helpful if you happen to forget any staples). When we were younger we all enjoyed the playground and we still enjoy the gameroom (with arcade games and a pool table as well as shuffleboard) and the pool. I have many fond memories of past vacations. The campground itself is very nice, the bathrooms are clean and I love all the big, old trees they have. The service was always topnotch. The campground has been run by the same family for years and they really care about what they do. This past summer I stayed with my Mom for an extra week before the rest of our family came up because she had a class to take (she's a teacher). We arrived at night and my mom was very worried about getting in our spot and unloading everything on her own. One of the staff drove down with us and helped back up, block the trailer, and unpack! And that is only one example of the great service we have had over the years.I would definetely recommend Big Oaks to anybody, whether they have small children (i had fun then) or teenagers (my siblings still have fun) or in their 20s ( i still have fun) or even older couples (my parents want to go back on their own and my grandparents have done the same and enjoyed it), it is a great family atmosphere at a great location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
campbigoaks, Manager at Big Oaks Family Campground, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
So glad that you went from a family tradition to part of our family :)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
west chester
Reviewed January 7, 2010

the staff was very helpful and even helped back up our camper so my wife could stay in the truck with the ac. My kids loved the pirate ship on the play ground and the pool side snack bar was great. It was a very safe environment and i found it easy to relax

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
We are very glad that you had a relaxing vacation! We always try to do what we can to help our customers start off their vacation on a good note and that includes a stress-free back-in. We hope to see you again soon!
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed October 7, 2009

It was my Husband and I and our 2 boys 8 & 2. We rented a Cabin and were surprised at just how nice they are. We were not sure of the place when we saved the date due to no credit cards and sending in a deposit. However, it turned out to be our best trip to the beach ever. The bath houses are very clean and the cabins are far enough apart that you don't feel like you are on top of each other. The owners who run the place are so super nice...very in touch with the civil war and all the extra they due for the veterans and the stories they told me were amazing. They are people who care and are very big hearted doing what they love. The swimming pool was great the kids loved it and the access to Rehobath and Lewes it was right in the middle of the 2. They also loved the park and the bunny rabbit they have for a pet. We will be back and this time maybe stay for a week. The only thing I recomend is to take an eggshell mattress because the beds are not soft. They are like hospital beds with the vinal covers...needed i'm sure because of the bugs and wilderness. I've been telling all my friends and family and I would tell anyone this is a very nice campground to stay at when you have young kids and enjoy the woods.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
We are so happy that your family enjoyed their stay with us. We really do care about what we do here and it is very important to us that we are always doing our best so that our customers can have a great vacation just like you did! Thank you so much for recommending us to your friends and family, we hope to see you all soon!
hershey
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I didnt even make it to the campsite. I had to cancel my trip, so i called in by phone to cancel my tent site 5 days prior to my scheduled arrival. The staff was not friendly and did not offer a refund, I assumed they would not be cashing my deposit check seeing as i had given enough notice. However upon receiving my bank statement and noticing the check was cashed, i again call in by phone to ask for a refund. I was told that i have "credit on the books" to use at my conviniece. I however did not want or agree to "credit". I was then told i would be charged a $10.00 service fee for them to refund me by check. There is NO mention of this on the web site and the staff did not mention this when i canceled my reservation. I was told by the manager/owner that its "my word" against her employee's, and its only $10.00. whats the big deal. Well thats right what is the big deal? They dont have a clue what they are doing the staff is elderly and unfriendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank bluemm
We do not have our cancellation policy on the website, as reservations are not made online. All reservations are made on the phone and that is the best time to address any concerns about cancellation and the policies involved with that.

Travelers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 12, 2009

My daughter and I camped here in the beginning of August. Our tent was 8 x 10 and took up most of the site. There wasn't much room to park our car. The sites were too close together. The bathrooms were dirty. There was soap covering the sink counters with bugs stuck in it and the showers were not cleaned. Someone had smashed a bug on the wall in one of the shower stalls and it was there the whole time we were. The toilet stalls were very small. There wasn't much room to stand to pull your shorts up! The door to the bathroom was always propped open so all the misquitos could come in. They were biting us while we were showering! We had to slather the bug spray on the whole trip. The staff wasn't rude as I have read on other reviews but they weren't exactly friendly either. However there was one that was very friendly and helpful. We also bought fire wood from the camp store and it wouldn't even burn! There is also a collection of confederate flag items for sale in the camp store. That's kind of creepy. Does that mean that they favor slavery??? I don't know but what I do know is that we will never stay here again! The only good part about it was that is was close to the beach.

3 Thank clnt2369
As noted previously, our restrooms got a perfect #10 rating in 2011. Slavery? Seriously?
Delaware
Reviewed September 7, 2009

The sites were very tiny. My tent took up the entire site!!! I had no place to park. Everyone was on top of each other. The staff drew the location of the restrooms on the map but they either "disappeared" or they were drawn on the wrong spot. There were two toilets with showers by the pool. You had to wait a long time to use them. I got out of there first thing in the morning and went to a campground where I could actually spread out, have a camp fire, put out chairs, and park my car.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Skipper19
The office is a few seconds walk from the pool; all that is needed is to ask for other restroom facilities.
delaware
Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed at Big Oaks and found the site and Bathrooms to be very clean. The staff also went out of there way to help us set up and level our RV. They have a nice shaded Playground. We enjoyed our stay and will be back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
We are glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rehoboth Beach
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
Comfort Inn Rehoboth Beach
#10 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#14 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
#1 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,628 reviews

Been to Big Oaks Family Campground? Share your experiences!