“Best Moroccan food we've tasted ”
Review of Olive Tree Cafe

Olive Tree Cafe
Ranked #15 of 392 Restaurants in Newark
Reviewed June 9, 2016 via mobile

Needed to stay for a night on our way back to CT and so glad we stayed near this one of a kind restaurant. Don't let the location in a strip mall deter you, the food is spectacular. The owner opened a little over a year ago and has had rave reviews both locally and from out of staters such as we were.
First you get these black olives that are so flavorfull along with warm fresh baked bread that is meant to be dipped in the fresh olive oil on the table. Try not to fill up on the bread because the main couse selections are many and diversified.
I asked the owner, who also happened to be our waiter that evening because we came in at almost closing time, what their specialty is. He said everything is good but recommended the Moussaka and lamb tagine,
So my husband had the best Moussaka I've ever tasted and I had the lamb tagine that was to die for. It was hot and the flavors were so tasty. We also had the opportunity to talk to the owner and find out his history and passion about the restaurant and using only fresh ingredients. He and his wife are equal partners with him as the chef and she the marketing person and restaurant decorator.
He even let us try the delicious mint tea that us served in a beautiful silver pot with exquisite little glass and silver cups.
We will never forget this experience and hope we are able to revisit The Olive Tree Cafe again in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2016

The food came out hot and if its to your liking it was good. The owner is the cook very nice. It took quite a while for the food to come out, once we got it it was good. The service was slow, not sure if it was the waitress or the rest. Drinks took longer than needed but who knows. Diet coke came in a plastic bottle, whats this. The Roast chicken was good a little expensive. Fries where excellent. My wife Falafel sandwich was very good. If in the area we will try it again.

Reviewed May 14, 2016

We were invited by a friend to join him for dinner at the Olive Tree. This was our first visit. I could tell when I tasted the appetizer that we were in for a treat.

The hot tea and home made bread were a good way to start. I had the chicken shawarma while the two others had lamb dishes. All three of us were raving about the good taste. The owner is very pleasant and greeted us coming and going.

We hope to take some others there to share this 'find'.

Reviewed May 2, 2016

Mediterranean food is my favorite, and the Olive Tree Cafe did not disappoint. We went on a Saturday night, and the place was busy, but no line. Staff was friendly and efficient. I ordered the appetizer sampler - dolmeh and spanikopita are two of my favorites, and I got them both on the same plate! Delicious. We also ordered the kebabs, and the vegetables with couscous, very nice. The owner came around to greet each table. We will be returning here.

Reviewed April 26, 2016

This is a wonderful jewel of a restaurant. The flavors and quality of the food are amazing. We had the lamb tangine, special couscous, fish tangine and lamb kabob. All were fantastic. Their hummus is divine as is the zalouk (roasted eggplant dip). Really loved our time there and felt that in any other city the prices could be much much higher for the kind and quality of food we had.