“Business with Pleasure”

Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband was staying here on a business trip and we decided to come down and spend a couple days with him. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Overall the hotel was a nice as when we stayed two years ago, but is showing some signs of wear. However, our room had just had new carpet installed, so at first the smell of that was a bit overwhelming. Nothing too bad. The pool area was nice and clean. The bathroom was also clean and well stocked and they accommodated our request for more towels. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It seemed to have a lot of things for people to do.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit. I'm sure your husband was please to have company on his trip! I'm glad you received warm friendly service. We are very happy to have new guestroom carpet in the hotel!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Wilmington / Christiana

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here one noght on a trip back to Massachsetts from North Carolina. It was a convenient place to stop off 95 and the price was in line. There also is a mall up the street with a variety of restaurants.
We were pleasantly surprised by the overall condition of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff
and the excellent room.
During our stay there was a wedding and high school reunion going on. Much to our surprise the
room was completely quiet during the night.
The only issue we had was the breakfast buffet. The gentleman dressed in chefs garb greeted us at the restaurant podium and pointed out the areas for hot food and cold food. What he neglected to tell us was that there also was an alcove that was set up as an omelette station that I suppose was his responsibility. It was empty
We did not notice it until other people started to notice it and complain. Nothing was done and the chef continued to stand at the podium chatting with other employees. We told our waitress that someone needed to be over there. She laughed but did ask us if we wanted an omelette. By that time we had eaten.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent visit. I'm glad that you enjoyed the stay overall. I appreciate the information you provided about breakfast and will follow up to improve our service in this area.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I really do dislike writing negative reviews, but in this case I feel that I must. I recently stayed at this establishment for a friend's wedding and if it was not for the friendship and joviality of my compatriots I might have even given the hotel only one star. To begin, when I and my mate entered our room we were greeted with the foulest smell of cigarette smoke (our room was non-smoking). As if this was not off putting enough the loo was...we will call it dishevelled...complete with peeling wood veneer on the door, mould in the shower, and a poorly attended to vanity that was on its last leg. After having travelled many hours I could not be bothered to complain to the staff (but when I did warn them of the deteriorating state of the room upon check out I was brushed of discourteously) and I merely wished to sleep. Sleep was hard to come by as, unbeknownst to me, we had been placed in a room directly beside the elevator utility closet which banged and rattled like Marley's ghost all evening! In the morning our eyes were truly beholden to the lack of splendour that I shall now enumerate: the air conditioning system was missing its door which gave us a lovely sight of billowing dust balls, the refrigerator (in which we had placed a parcel of foodstuffs) was broken, and the noise, may god the noise, from the blasted elevator never stopped.

Now maybe all of these items would have been perfectly fine in another room within the hotel and I would not nearly be as hacked-off as I am if I had been treated courteously when I tried to warn the staff, but the fact remains that I cannot recommend this establishment at all!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheOxfordBunny
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback on your recent visit. I am terribly sorry that we delivered such a poor experience and failed to make it right prior to your departure. I would love the opportunity to speak with you directly and learn more details about exactly how our standards broke down. I would also like to discuss how we can make up for such a lousy visit. I can be reached directly by calling 302-781-7048 or emailed at bwenger@hiltonestate.com. Please accept my sincere apologies for falling so short of your basic expectations.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great experience as this event was well planned and the hotel delivered accordingly. The staff made every effort to accommodate the group. The group had breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did get one complaint from a participant but that was quickly resolved.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Katie and the rest of the staff were phenomenal .. extremely accommodating! Our hockey team filled with 10 year old boys had a great stay, the knee hockey room was perfect .. the pool was beautiful .. The staff was understanding and went out of their way to help us out in any way we needed. We left the hotel champions and will definitely be back ..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I spent a night here for business meetings. The hotel is clean, and the room was very comfortable. We had 2 days of meetings- typical ballroom type facility, but I really thought the food was very good! I saw a pool but didn't get to use it. There isn't much around the area, but if you need to be in Christiana, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are room that overlook the court yard with the pool. I'm not sure if it can get noisy at t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit. I really appreciate you choosing the Hilton. Your room tip about the courtyard is on point. They have a better view and tend to be quieter. We really work hard at our food quality and feel it is a big differentiator from the other hotels in the area. I'm glad it was a positive experience in your case.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good location, conviniently next to the mall and mayor franchise restaurant, great breakfast and friendly staff. Hotel does not have a good ventilation system, hallways and elevator are too hot and musty. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. We are working on some of the circulation systems in the corridors of the hotel and expect this to be resolved shortly. I'm glad you felt warmth from our staff and had a good breakfast experience. Feel free to contact me directly for anything you need in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Hilton Wilmington / Christiana? Share your experiences!