“Best hotel experience ever , for the second time”

Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed October 23, 2012

By far the best hotel experience ever. And it was no fluke since this was my second time here.From the time you enter the parking lot and seeing the swans in the pond to the moment you leave everything is top notch.I definitely would suggest you upgrade to the Executive level.Great lounge on this level , that is not used by many guests. Also the free passes to Delaware park including valet parking was a nice touch.

Room Tip: the 1st floor would not be a great idea on weekends. Weddings and party's can be loud.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mrbelmont
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thanks!!! When are you coming back? Your suggestion about the executive level is a good one. Our guests that travel the globe often tell us this amenity is the one that really sets us apart during the week.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Wilmington / Christiana

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just had my 25th high school reunion at the Christiana Hilton. The banquet room was beautiful, the staff was very professional and helpful and the food was fabulous! The hotel offered a group rate to stay overnight, the room was great, very clean and beautiful.
Overall, a great place to stay for a great rate.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful feedback! We really work hard at making our food and beverage experience one that you can't find elsewhere in the area. I'm glad it showed in this case!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding in Newark. The hotel was fine, paying a rate of $139 per night. There was a DJ out on the patio at night by the open fireplace. Additional heaters were provided since it was a bit chilly. The wedding was not at the hotel, but there must have been two to three wedding receptions during our stay, so very busy. The bar in the lobby closes early (as far as bar hours go), which is kind of annoying. I think last drinks were served either at 11 pm or 12 (don't quite remember).

My recommendation is not to eat at the restaurant. Service is slow and by the time the food got to us, it was cold. We had breakfast there. The room is well equipped, as is standard for a Hilton. Nothing special, other than it served its purpose, as a lot of the wedding guests stayed there.

The big mall is not very far away and there is a nail salon across the street in the strip mall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience. I will take a hard look at why your dining experience was not up to standard. If you have occasion to return to the area and stay here, please contact me directly and I will ensure we exceed your expectations.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The only reason I didn't give the hotel 5 stars is because I was on the ground floor during my stay and there were 2 weddings going on. I got woken up numerous times Saturday night and into Sunday morning. Some of the wedding party was on my floor so I didn't get much sleep that night. I would have asked to be moved but it was 3 o'clock in the morning. Other than that one night my stay was excellent. The food from room service was exceptional. The cool cumcumber water was very refreshing. The staff greeted some clients by name--very impressive all the way around. I did complain about the noise to the front desk and I was given points toward my Hilton Honors membership so the Hilton tried to correct te error. I definitely would go back!

Room Tip: Avoid the Lanai rooms toward the lobby if you need a good night's sleep.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lorraine H
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. I'm glad we hit the mark on service and food quality! I'm sorry we weren't able to provide you a more restful sleep. We will make a note in your guest profile to ensure you are put in the quietest part of the hotel possible on your next visit.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Got a "Deal" on an Executive floor room online for a 2 night stay during a road trip and family visit.
Price was right, the hotel is VERY NICE, but some maintenance issues and policies made the stay..... annoying. The "Executive Level" requires your room Key Card to activate the floor button in the elevators. At best 3 tries, at worst 6 tries with one card and 3 tries with the other to get the floor selected each time we used the elevators (there are 2). The door to our room looked like someone broke it down and they had repaired it (It was split on both the hinge and latch sides and had a block of wood bolted in the door to support the top hinge where the door obviously gave way. I know this because we had trouble opening the door - as it was not in the door jamb correctly due to this repair. We finally called the desk. The maintenance man worked for an hour to get the door to open. Unfortunately we had to stay in the room as he went back to the maintenance shop several times leaving our room unsecured, and causing us to postpone our plans for that afternoon :( The door "worked" but the guy said he told his supervisor they needed to replace it (Ummm I agree - But that it should have been done before I had to call it in). After he left, I fixed the sliding doors to the closet, the adjustment screw for the rollers was all the way out so the door didn't roll, you had to pick it up to move it. (isn't the cleaning staff reporting these issues?) The shower, ok, but as in most hotels the liberal use of caulk to fix the poor tile job was a bit moldy and mildewed. Threshold molding in the Lobby loose and people tripping on it - and Oh the Exec. Lounge is closed Sat & Sun!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money on the Executive level rooms - there are NO amenities. I'd say more...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I'm very sorry you encountered so many issues on your visit. I will look into the items you listed as soon as possible and ensure they are resolved. If you have occasion to return and give us another opportunity, please contact me directly and I will make the arrangements. Please accept my apologies from the entire team.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my first time to this hotel and we went for a wedding. The hotel was wonderful! It was clean and everywhere you looked there was complimentary mint/cucumber water or something to drink. Our room was clean, TV was big, view of pool and courtyard was nice. The hotel is big so we did get a little lost a couple of time lol but overall I would def. recommend this hotel! Even the general ambience of the hotel was great..staff was very nice and everything was just so clean! I loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the pool and courtyard...very nice!!
1  Thank IheartMD
bwenger, General Manager at Hilton Wilmington / Christiana, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you for the positive feedback! Your tip about requesting a room overlooking the courtyard is a good one. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have visited this hotel many times over the years for business, but stayed as a guest this weekend. We attended a wedding, and it was perfect. All the common areas are elegant and clean. There is a courtyard that reminded me of NewOrleans. The pool and hottub are outside and were still open mid-September. The temperature of the pool was very cold and the hottub not very hot but, that could just be due to the weather.

I booked a room on the 4th floor, Concierge level. Depending on the day of week you may have a complimentary cocktail hour or a "free" breakfast buffet. At $14.95 per person it made the upgrade sensible. Room was well appointed, comfy bed, no complaints whatsoever.

The banquet food we had at the wedding was very good. I had steak and it was pink in the middle and tender. Surprising as steak is tough to pull off at banquets.

Parking was free and convenient.

The only complaint I have is that the breakfast buffet service was terrible. We approached the hostess stand and she didn't make eye contact and waved her hand and said "Sit anywhere." A quick scan of the area offered numerous tables piled with dirty dishes. No bus boy? As the crowd was obnoxious with kids running all over we decided to eat outside in the courtyard. Anyway it was self serve, pretty much the same kind of breakfast foods found at many complimentary hotel breakfast. There was a man who did make omletes or eggs to order. Thank goodness! The coffee was empty and the potatoes undercooked. After we ate, suddenly a waiter appeared to hand us a bill. We showed our vouchers and left a very modest tip, considering the non existent service. Please do not pay for this buffet. There are tons of restaurants and a giant regional mall within minutes that are a much better bet. I would expect better, especially from THIS Hilton.

Room Tip: My room was 428, it was near the elevator and ice machine. Had no issues with noise or the room.
3  Thank DEBarbie

Thank you for the great feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to give a detailed description of your experience. The comment about the steak was one that warms my heart! We work hard on the food quality in the hotel. That said, I will investigate the root cause of what went wrong during the breakfast you had. I'm sorry this wasn't a better experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall

Been to Hilton Wilmington / Christiana? Share your experiences!