“Nice place, friendly clean”

Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Morristown, New Jersey
“Nice place, friendly clean”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Was staying at the residence for a lacrosse tourney. Very Kid friendly, the breakfast bar had the waffles they love.

Front Desk was awesome, helping out with a band-aid for a stubbed toe.

I usually get the heebee jeebees, usually when I travel, the room was clean and fresh. Slept comfortable both nights very cool.

Room Tip: One side faces 95, I slept here without a problem.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Aaron S, Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, June 29, 2014
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels and glad that your team enjoyed yourself.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed May 27, 2014

On a family trip we stayed at the Residence Inn, Newark DE. What a pleasant stay. The rooms, which were actually like condos were so comfortable. Full kitchen which is always nice to have. Beds were comfortable even the pull out couch. Staff was very friendly and after our 4 night stay we felt like family.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Aaron S, Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels.

I'm glad you left feeling like family at Residence Inn we pride ourselves on making our guest stay their home away from home
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The staff has been good for the most part. Very helpful. The rooms though...yes they are spacious and well maintained. The building itself has problems. They don't seem to give you a room based on your Marriott Rewards standing. I constantly got first floor rooms on business, probably because of the rate we paid. You hear everything going on upstairs. The noise is bad. If you get a first floor room, don't count on peace and quiet. Have even heard some yelling from the upstairs occupants some weeks. The concept of the Marriott Residence Inn needs to go away. Staybridge Suites or Homewood Suites is a much better option.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DK330
Aaron S, General Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Residence Inn Newark, it's guest like yourself that helps us improve the quality of our service. I'm happy to hear that our staff is friendly and that our rooms are spacious and well maintained. We will look into the room that you were staying in. We definitely don't want any of our travelers to be inconvenienced with noise. Please reach out to me personally when you are in the area and I will assure you a quiet stay.

Yours in Service,
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The staff at Residence Inn were so friendly and helpful. Made you feel like you were their only travelers staying at the Inn! We are fussy about the cleanliness of our hotel rooms and this place was immaculate. Kudos to the housekeeping staff on what an awesome job they do, which is no easy task, as our living space had a living room/kitchen/bed/bath with another bed and bath upstairs! Would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy B
Aaron S, General Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn Newark. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotel.

Our housekeeping staff works very hard and I will make sure to share your comments with them and the rest of our team.

East Coast Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night on our way to Florida. We found the hotel, but it was not a direct easy on/off on the highway. The hotel rooms each have a door to the outside. I didn't expect that and was thinking the room would connect through an interior hall way. The room itself was very spacious with a full kitchen and living room.

Breakfast was great, many options and well staffed, lots of tables. All hotel staff were very friendly and courteous. The beds were very comfortable. there was some highway noise from the interstate, but it didn't bother us. The bathroom sink was located separately from the toilet shower which was more efficient for a family. The room had a fireplace which was a nice touch, but we did not use it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EastCoastCanada
Aaron S, General Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your trip to our Residence Inn. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and so happy you had a satisfactory stay!

Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Let me start off by saying the staff was super nice and helpful. My room was my only complaint. My door looked like it had been kicked in at one point. There were large dents in it, and it was so bent I could not lock the deadbolt. I was terrified someone would break in the entire time. I was on the first floor and I could hear every step and noise the person above me made. Even though the staff was nice I checked out more than 3 weeks earlier than scheduled. I did not feel safe due to my door, and my upstairs neighbor walked as lightly as an elephant. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 214!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Aaron S, General Manager at Residence Inn Wilmington Newark/Christiana, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Residence Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

At Residence Inn, we strive to provide superior service to every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I’m so sorry that you had to check out earlier than anticipated. Next time you are in the area give us the opportunity to services you as these problems was an exception to our normal practices.

New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I am a fan of Marriott brand. In the past few years, whenever I travel, I stayed at a Marriott property if I could. I have stayed at many Residence Inns before and I do think this one pales in comparison and also has room for improvement.

Service: Everyone was courteous. When I checked in the front desk was professional and courteous. The cleaning staff was very respectful (though at one point I saw some of them pushing a cleaning cart with a cigarette in mouth) and the staff working at the dining area were also very nice. They replenish the food fast and keep the whole area very clean.

Convenience: This is one of the major factors of my stay. The I-95 highway is just 2 minutes away. There is also an ACME supermarket nearby. For late night cravings, you can choose either the food they sell at the front desk or drive across I-95 to get food from a 7-11.

One thing that I think can help the hotel is to have signs leading to the hotel. I arrived late at night (after 930pm) and I turned right on Chapman Rd. The first hotels that I saw were Ramada and Staybridge. After driving past these two hotels, Residence Inn is actually 30 seconds down the road. However, it appeared as though there is no more hotels after that. I had to circle a few times and asked for directions to find the hotel.

Cleanness: I was a bit disappointed. The bed was nice and the place smelled great. However, the bath tub was not very clean. The bottom has some kind of anti-slippery surface and I could see dirt trapped in it. I also see tracks of rusty brown spot at the bottom of the bath tub. In addition, when I turned tried to load water from the faucet for a bath, in the first few minutes, I saw some brown filmy substance flowing out. I think those are mineral deposit from hard water.

One of the major disappointment during my stay was I ran out of hot water while trying to fill the tub for a bath. It was a cold November night and I felt like taking a bath. I had to deal with either only filling the tub half full with some part of body exposed to air or filling the tub with lukewarm water.

All in all, this property is not poorly maintained. I think it has its potential with the convenient access to high way and nearby tax-free shopping. However, I had stayed at better Residence Inn before and I firmly believe that this one can catch up with the standard. Would I stay here again? Not until I am convinced that they have made substantial improvement.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn. We always enjoy hearing about the experiences our guests have at our hotel.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback, like yours, is always an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Glad to know that you will choose us again.