Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark
$118
FourPoints.com
$130
$121
Comfort Inn and Suites(Newark)(Great Value!)
$108
Courtyard
$119
$111
HIExpress.com
All reviewsresidence innbasketball courtfront deskapartment stylefully equipped kitcheni've encounteredfull size appliancesa king size bedown bathroomlaundry facilitystaff was friendly and accommodatingbreakfast buffet in the morningliving areaoutdoor poolhot showeran extended stayfelt like home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I am a fan of Marriott brand. In the past few years, whenever I travel, I stayed at a Marriott property if I could. I have stayed at many Residence Inns before and I do think this one pales in comparison and also has room for improvement.

Service: Everyone was courteous. When I checked in the front desk was professional and courteous. The cleaning staff was very respectful (though at one point I saw some of them pushing a cleaning cart with a cigarette in mouth) and the staff working at the dining area were also very nice. They replenish the food fast and keep the whole area very clean.

Convenience: This is one of the major factors of my stay. The I-95 highway is just 2 minutes away. There is also an ACME supermarket nearby. For late night cravings, you can choose either the food they sell at the front desk or drive across I-95 to get food from a 7-11.

One thing that I think can help the hotel is to have signs leading to the hotel. I arrived late at night (after 930pm) and I turned right on Chapman Rd. The first hotels that I saw were Ramada and Staybridge. After driving past these two hotels, Residence Inn is actually 30 seconds down the road. However, it appeared as though there is no more hotels after that. I had to circle a few times and asked for directions to find the hotel.

Cleanness: I was a bit disappointed. The bed was nice and the place smelled great. However, the bath tub was not very clean. The bottom has some kind of anti-slippery surface and I could see dirt trapped in it. I also see tracks of rusty brown spot at the bottom of the bath tub. In addition, when I turned tried to load water from the faucet for a bath, in the first few minutes, I saw some brown filmy substance flowing out. I think those are mineral deposit from hard water.

One of the major disappointment during my stay was I ran out of hot water while trying to fill the tub for a bath. It was a cold November night and I felt like taking a bath. I had to deal with either only filling the tub half full with some part of body exposed to air or filling the tub with lukewarm water.

All in all, this property is not poorly maintained. I think it has its potential with the convenient access to high way and nearby tax-free shopping. However, I had stayed at better Residence Inn before and I firmly believe that this one can catch up with the standard. Would I stay here again? Not until I am convinced that they have made substantial improvement.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Aaron S, General Manager at Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Residence Inn. We always enjoy hearing about the experiences our guests have at our hotel.

I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback, like yours, is always an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Glad to know that you will choose us again.

Aaron Smith

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I was impressed as I drove up to the office. The grounds and the flowers were so beautiful. The staff at the front desk as so warm and friendly. I would give this Marriott an Excellent in spite of the age of these villas. The bedding is nice and white and so are the towels. Great cleaning staff. The breakfast was wonderful and many choices. A thank you to the lady who sets up breakfast for you. Be sure to thank her personally.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kps2play
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I've stayed here intermittently throughout the past two years. The first time for work and the rest for leisure. The rooms are adequate and the staff is nice. The rooms have a kitchen so I didn't have to spend too much money eating out. I like how the rooms are more apartment style with private entrances (where we don't have to go through the front desk). Being a female and traveling alone for most of the trips I really feel safe staying here. The location is also really close to everything.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mryan208
Reviewed October 7, 2013

While I got business pricing due to travel arrangements for my employer, I stayed here every 2 months for about 2 years for meetings up the street on Chapman. PROS - proximity to activities in Delaware and price. Service was always great and have had no complaints after having stayed approximately 12 times in the last couple years.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Otheezy
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Full disclosure - I was able to get a nice 'corporate' rate but was planning on staying here anyway.

PROs
- I love the space in the Residence Inn suites.
- A small but well equipment fitness center.
- Nice breakfast in the mornings.
- The staff was VERY friendly. Nice job!

CONs
- It's a little 'loud.' The property is close to the interstate and the trees aren't enough to block all the noise. Also, it sounded like someone (kids?) were playing tackle football or something in the room above me and I hear them most of the afternoon and early evening.
- It didn't look like I had a ton of options for dining in the local area (I found a Red Robin and it was very good).

TIP:
- The sign for the property is hidden behind some trees, and you will go right past the entrance if you are going too fast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business