“Solid, reliable business hotel”

Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Like a lot of Residence Inns, it is a good hotel with comfortable rooms and friendly, unassuming service. The staff was warm and helpful, the breakfast was reasonable.

Despite being located next to a freeway, the hotel rooms are fairly quiet, and it provides easy access. It would also be a good choice for someone who was driving up I95 to stop for the night, and much more reasonably priced than hotels in the DC or Philadelphia area, although it is not commutable from either one. Easy commute to northern Maryland.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor in one of the middle buildings are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying at this hotel. I drove by it plenty of times and even chose to stay at other hotels instead; mistake on my part because this hotel is great. We had 2 suites; a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom. I've stayed at several other extended stay hotels in the area, and this hotel definitely stands out. The rooms are very clean and spacious. They feel and look like your own mini apartment. The 2 bedroom suite has an upstairs loft; which makes for even more space. The rooms have a FULL kitchen complete with normal size 4 burner stove as well as an oven. Each room has a flat screen and the beds are very comfortable. The living room has a pullout sofa for extra sleeping space. There is a basketball court, gym, laundry facility, and outdoor pool. Next to the pool there are additional tables and chairs overlooking a mini pond. The kids loved looking at the turtles in the pond while we sat outside eating dinner. I love the outside entrance to each room, but what stood out for me was the staff. Each person I came in contact with was extremely friendly, polite, and went out of their way to help a guest. I had issues at other extended stay hotels with extending our stay if an event was in town. The management here went above and beyond to make that process of extending our stay stress free. Since losing our home to a flood its been hard on my children, but staying here has made the situation a lot easier to deal with. I would MOST DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to anyone with a family or someone looking for a great place to stay on business.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Jaybay302
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was on a weekend trip just relaxing and driving along the Delaware coast and decided to stay near New Castle. This hotel was near by and I had some Marriot points. The staff was young, probably students from the near by school, but very helpful and professional. When I signed in I had to sign a notice stating I understood their noise policy. I guess it's designed to keep party animal and loud college kids away. The property was of the beat of path but not remote; nice plants and pond. I walked around to stretch my legs and was glad Residence Inn kept the old style properties like this once; very nice and relaxing. The room was nice but the AC was a little loud. The only problem I had was breakfast was a little late; there were people standing around waiting for one person to prep the breakfast. Perhaps the front desk could have helped out. All in all, good stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Last weekend we checked into the hotel for my son's lacrosse tournament. I usually don't write reviews about standardized chains but the pleasent experience compelled me to write. the grounds of the hotel were beautifully maintained - really nice flowers. WE were given a choice of a large bag of potato chips upon check-in. The two bedroom lofted suite is what you would expect from a nicely maintained residence Inn. But frankly what made the stay so unexpected was the staff. From the lovely women who handled breakfast -- helping you out, on-top of cleaning, etc; to the front desk who responded promptly to an issue with a "running" toilet; to a third staff who helped out a little kid get a bucket of ice --- it really made a difference.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2013

great service the accommodations where clean and comfortable. the rooms are very large and have a real wood fire place. the hotel has a nice basketball court. the staff was very friendly and accommodating overall a great experience

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Convenient location off of I-95, but you could hear the traffic from our room. The bed was very comfortable and clean, but the carpet and bathroom floors were not. Front desk staff was very pleasant at check-in, but when we asked about late checkout on Sunday morning, we were told none was available. I'm a 10-year Elite member of Marriott, and that combined with a 3/4 empty parking lot at the property... that response surprised me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Upon arriving I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite because they had ran out of 2 queen suite. The room was soo nice it felt like a little apartment. It had 2 baths and 2 bedrooms with a little kitchen area. It is close to highways. I try to stay here every time I come down to DE.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family