“Great for a long-term stay, a bit far but not a problem with a car”

Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I lived here for 2-3 months at a time whenever I visited Delaware on business.

The first time was in 2007 when I lived there for 3 months. I rented a car so the distances were not a problem.

The rooms are extreeemely spacious -- a single bed room apartment is big enough to squeeze a dozen people (not that I tried!). The furnishing is comfortable and very nice.

The TV selection is good.

Breakfast is included in the price and is a buffet in the morning. These are quite tasty, but can be monotonous (the menu is pretty much the same week in and week out, but this is not a gourmet restaurant but a budget hotel!) though they are extremely filling.

Wireless is free.

The hotel is walking distance from the University plaza where one can get a bite to eat or shop at the supermarket. This is not upmarket, but it doesn't aim to be -- it succeeds very well for what it aims to be -- a great value for money place to stay.

The staff are very friendly and will give you a lift to a place or two if you need.

All in all I would strongly recommend this place

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed just one night when we came for a wedding. The front desk staff was super nice, the lobby area was clean and featured a nice TV area and breakfast space. In the morning they have a free breakfast including potatoes, sausage, waffles, yogurt, and lots more. It was really good. They have a great pool and a few grills, so the wedding couple hosted a cookout at the hotel.

The rooms were clean and the grounds well manicured. It wasn't super fancy, but great value for the money. The only thing we wish they had was a safe in the room. But the kitchen is nice if you happen to have a lot of people coming by or you stay for a longer period.

If I visit my cousin in DE again, I would stay here again. Thanks for a nice stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2011

This is a great hotel! The rooms are spacious and clean! We were on vacation for 6 nights. I had two adults and 4 children. The pool, hot breakfast buffet and free dinners were a life saver! These amenities allowed us to manage our budget. We stayed in a studio "apartment" style room. There was plenty of room for out large crowed of 6. The full sized stove and refridgerator was great. The staff was friendly and accommodating. We will be back! The hotel website says that rehoboth beach is nearby, however it really is 1.45 hours away. the neighborhood and property is very safe. We loved this hotel and plan to return.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the interior as I usually do. The pictures shown I think are outdated, it appears that at least the 1 bedroom suite we stayed in had been updated. The master bedroom was spacious with a comfortable bed. Living area with sofabed, dining table, and desk was also spacious. Separate sink area was nice too. Kitchen was well appointed with, all appliances in working condition. Hotel grounds were clean and nicely landscaped. Pool area looked inviting although we did not use it. No problems with using the laundry room. Breakfast was also good. Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nevisisforme
Reviewed November 2, 2010

My husband and I have been staying at this Residence Inn for two months now. My husband has a Platinum status with Marriott. As we have found out, his Platinum status does not mean anything.

The following is the very first incident that happened. We called about it to Marriott's Customer Care. Things only changed for one week after that phone call. Here is what happened: The second week into our stay here, we encountered our first "No" from housekeeping personnel. My husband's nose bled one night, that happened to be the day our bed sheets were changed, which was Friday. Next morning, Saturday morning, I asked housekeeping to come in and change our bed sheets. The answer I got was: "No on Saturdays". So, the sheets were not changed that day. Monday comes. Housekeeping lady comes into our room, takes out the trash and straightens our bed, just straightens it, seeing that there is blood on the pillow cases and a bit on sheets. She never changed the bloody pillow cases and sheets. I went to the front desk and asked them to send someone over to change the bed sheets. The person who took on the responsibilities of housekeeping supervisor for that particular week, told me that the sheets on Queen beds only get changed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and he presented me with a sticky note with those days written on it. I told them that there was blood on my bed and that I need to get the sheets changed. He said that he will have to see if there is anything he can do for me. I waited for about 40 minutes, no-one came into my room. I went to the front desk again and told them that I cannot wait any longer and need the bed sheets so I can do it myself. They give me the sheets so that I could do it myself while paging one of the housekeeping ladies telling her that she does not need to come into my room. I am assuming that a supervisor heard the conversation and said that he will send someone over right away. A lady showed up at the door of my room while I already started changing my bed sheets and took over from there.

The following are the situations that we've been faced with during our stay here.

1. The new TVs were put into the rooms. When the old TV was taken out of our room, the hole in the TV stand turned out to be a bit too small for the new TV. So, the guys drilled a bigger hole, which send somewhat a large amount of wood chips flying on the carpet. Once the TV guys left, I saw a housekeeping lady out with her cart. I came up to her and asked her to come up and just vacuum really quick, just vacuum. The answer I received was "NO". No-one ever came to vacuum my room, so I had to pick up the wood chips by hand off the carpet.

2. Dropped the bagel face down on our bed. At 9:50 am I went to the front desk to ask for the housekeeping department to come and only change the bed sheets. We left the room around 10 am with our pets. We came back to the hotel around 11:45 am, the bed sheets had not even been touched. We still had to wait outside for another 45 minutes to get the bed sheets changed. Overall it took housekeeping two and a half hours to change the bed sheets.

3. Called the front desk to request cleaning of our room at about 10 am while we were taking our pets out of the room. Came back an hour and forty five minutes later, cleaning had not even been started yet. Had to leave the hotel again to wait for them to clean. We were late for our 12 pm appointment due to this situation.

We've been trying to work with the hotel personnel. We have pets and it's our responsibility not to have our pets in the room when the housekeeping staff is in the room. To make it easier on everyone, we thought that calling the front desk and giving them the heads up would be appreciated. That's why we chose to always call and just tell the front desk that we are leaving for such period of time, and ask them to come during that time and clean our room. But, all those efforts were absolutely hopeless and very much not appreciated.

4. From the initial phone call to the front desk requesting cleaning service, waited for three and a half hours for cleaning lady to show up.

5. Called the front desk at about 10 am to request cleaning service. Was told by the front desk that they do not know when my room will be cleaned. Ended up waiting for nearly one and a half hours.

6. It took Macina (housekeeping lady) 55 minutes to clean our room.

7. Cleaning staff did not vacuum our room. There were pieces of a chewed toy, by my dog, in the middle of the room, which were still there after cleaning personnel left. Did not put paper towels in a paper towel holder. Did not add the toilet paper. My husband had to go to the front desk to get those. And that happens a lot. I mean very very often. Two out of three times after the cleaning personnel leave our room, we have to go to the front desk to get things, such as toilet paper, paper towels, tissue.

8. Called the front desk at 10 am to request the cleaning service. Came back into the room at 11 am, no-one has even started on the room. I did not have much time to wait, and like I said before, I cannot have housekeeping in the room with my dogs without me. I went to the front desk and told them that I need to clean the room myself because of the lack of time. They refused and did not let me do it, which I suppose is a good thing. It took the cleaning person 50 minutes to clean my room.

On average, cleaning staff takes at the minimum 45 minutes to clean the room. Not sure why. Many times the mirrors do not get cleaned, the tiles in the shower do not get cleaned, the carpets do not get vacuumed. But they are still in the room for that long.

I am sure there will be more of this circus before we leave this Marriott forgotten hotel. We could not imagine for a split second that this kind of service is possible. The way this property is being managed and run is beyond me. It will never cross our minds to stay at this location, ever again. We've always thought that Marriott's name meant something, but now we realize that it does not mean anything. We've always enjoyed staying at Marriott. There was never a single complaint. We don't like to complain. I travel with my husband everywhere and it never came to our minds to complain about a service. Every service has it's ups and downs and there is no reason to complain about little things, but this experience is far from normal. It is simply unacceptable.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank jotero34043
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The front desk people are very friendly. Though it is close to the highway, it is not noisy at night at all. The room is clean, though the TV set is old fashioned. It is a very practical place for families.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I came to Newark to visit family and if there's a Residence Inn around I always choose them for the simple reason they take pets. They don't have a rule about the pet being a certain size or breed and that is a sign of a truly "pet friendly" hotel.
I usually get a one or two bedroom but they were booked so I had to take the studio. It was clean and things were in good shape.
The rooms are situated in buildings resembling an apartment.
The hotel is sitting next to a group of businesses but still secluded. I used their parking lots (which joined one another) to run my dogs on my bike.
The breakfast and evening meals were adequate and appreciated.
They had a nice area outside of the "cafe" area that had tables with umbrellas. It joined the pool and had a nice view of the grounds and a fountain.
I was gratefully surprised by how friendly the staff was. Everyone always greeted me with a smile.
Phyllis worked the breakfast hours in the cafe and did an excellent job and joked around with us. She was a pleasure and the Residence Inn is fortunate to have her. There were two other young men who worked in the lobby/cafe area who were eager to help us in any way. The businesses in Florida would be very blessed to find workers like these. They are indeed rare.
The only negative thing that I can say is about the customers and not the staff. I found that pet owners did not pick up their poop! It covered a large area. You would think they would pick it up just so hotels would continue to allow them to bring their dogs! Shame on you! I can only hope that any pet owner who does not clean up after their pets step in a big pile of poop and carry it back to their home. :)

• Stayed: July 2010