Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Went to Newark to watch a college baseball game. Hotel was really nice. Good staff and clean rooms. Not what you usually expect for a Red Roof Inn. Very happy about hotel! A lot of restaurants and shopping nearby. We DID have to travel a bit to go see a movie, but it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Red Roof Inn an... N, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Thank you for your review. Good to see you were able to go to a basketball game and movie while visiting. Newark has a lot to offer our guests and we're pleased that you chose our hotel to stay. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

We got a great rate for this hotel on booking.com and were very happy with our stay. Our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. It was equipped with coffee maker, microwave and mini-fridge. The king bed was very comfortable and the sheets were of high quality. The breakfast included frozen omelets which you could heat in the microwave, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, make-you-own waffles, and pastries. The coffee was very good and so was the orange juice. The location just off 95 was very handy. In addition, the hotel staff was extremely friendly. Wifi was free and powerful.
I was concerned that there might be pet noise and odors but we were put on the non-pet floor and there was no problem at all.
One warning...there is no elevator so it is not recommended for the disabled, but the friendly staff helped me carry my bag upstairs and all was well. Recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back and not adjoining other rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Red Roof Inn an... N, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Doesn't look great from the outside but the rooms were large and clean. Nice pool. Friendly staff. Hotel looks like it is being remodeled but is quiet and clean. Close to I-95. Restaurant next door and some others closer to the university

Room Tip: Very close to the University of Delaware
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank K F

Thank you for your review. Clean and comfortable is what we strive for with a friendly team.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This was one of few places in the area that was dog friendly. The price couldn't be beat.
The place and our room was clean. Our room was quite spacious and handicapped accessible as well as dog friendly. The staff was helpful and friendly. We were only staying overnight on the way down south and visiting our daughter. It definitely filled our needs and excellent value. We choose this Red Roof over the one that was closer to where our daughter lives due to the reviews. We were very pleased with this one. Accessibility off of I95 could not have been more convenient and where we needed to start the following day. Would come back again.

Room Tip: Read reviews thoroughly and determine what are your specific needs. We had a room near an exist con...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for such a wonderful review! We take our guest comments seriously and always strive for positive experiences. Sounds like we accomplished this! See you next time you come visit your daughter.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Continuing on my way to a professional seminar, we stopped at this location because it was a good stopping point between Washington DC and Philadelphia. It's wonderfully located and the staff was lovely, but it did lose points for accessibility (it's a touch hard to get to), the seemingly run down quality of the room (it seems a tiny bit worn but still comfy) and the selection of restaurants nearby. The hotel isn't the major problem... the accessibility and the poor restaurants nearby is the problem.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're pleased you had a positive experience overall. Our hotel is going through renovations, and we just finished painting the lobby's exterior..... NO MORE ORANGE ROOF! There will be extensive renovations coming and we hope when you return you'll enjoy it much more.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I was in line to check in. I made a reservation with their reception desk earlier in the day and they told me that the only rooms left were smoking rooms. I wanted a non smoking. While in line, a gentleman in front of me declined a room after he inspected and the receptionist said they have a non smoking room they could have him look at. But the gentleman looking disappointed said he'll pass. So when it was my turn I asked the receptionist if I could have the non smoking room they just mentioned. The receptionist(male, indian looking) said that its not available. I said you just offered it to the guy in front of me. The he persist to tell me its not my reservation.

Not wanting to argue, I just took my room.
The room they gave me has a leaking faucet in the bathroom sink, not just minor dripping leak. Also all the room lights were white fluorescent cheap kinds. No cozy yellow incandescent lamps here.
Really disappointed.

Room Tip: Inspect your room before taking it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Mike T

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It doesn't sound like we hit our mark and gave you a very good experience. This doesn't sound like our hotel at all and not sure what happened. Please contact me directly as we would like for you to come stay with us again, and I assure you that you will have a much different experience. ~Roxanne

Reviewed July 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed here as part of a contingent for a recent lacrosse tournament. The boy's team also stayed here and I'm sure the reason it was chosen was for the low price ($65/night). While the price was right, the hotel was wrong....very wrong. The rooms, while a good size, where disgusting with an odor of mold. The sliding door was arduous to open and the place was just run down. The shower was great but the bathroom was small, hardly enough room to place a toiletry bag on the counter. The TV was great but when the room stinks you hardly want to stay there to watch anything. The breakfast was not worth mentioning....toast, cereal, coffee and a waffle. If you don't eat this you may as well skip it. The w-ifi was also very poor and certainly not good if you truly need the service. If you are traveling alone and just want a place to sleep for a few hours (it's just off 95 near UDel) go for it but to stay here for longer than 8 hours is nuts.

Room Tip: Park your car under a light. The clientele often appear a little sketchy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Glen T

Thank you for your review. I truly apologize if you didn't have a positive experience with our hotel. This is not how we want to be remembered. Please contact me directly as I would like for you to come stay with us again and have a much better experience. ~Roxanne