“Cheap but adequate”

Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Newark
New Jersey, USA
“Cheap but adequate”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This motel is OK. The room was clean, comfortable, adequately furnished, in decent repair. The property overall has something of a cheap feel to it -- maybe a bit too much fake woodgrain. I suppose the fact that it is right next to a construction site, and that there was construction noise throughout the night, did not help. But otherwise, an adequate budget choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The staff very friendly and the rooms are clean. The whole property is non smoking and the rooms are up to date. It has a good breakfast and coffee at lobby all the time. Close to stuff too and just down the road from a casino.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Wendy L, Manager at Quality Inn Newark, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay here at the Quality Inn, in Newark Delaware. All to often guest's let us know the negative regarding their stays, and even less let us know the positive during a stay. We here value all guest comments and reviews and use them as traing tools for our staff. Thank you for choosing Quality Inn for your lodging needs, and we hope to see you in the future.

Wendy Lee
Mystic, Connecticut
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was visiting Christiana Hospital and this hotel is only a few miles away. The room was clean with a flat screen TV. The staff was very friendly and took me right in without reservations. I was also able to get the hospital rate which was very good. The lobby has a popcorn machine and decent market items. Don't expect a full service Marriott, but its a great value for a comfortable clean room. It's also in a decent location with food options a short drive away and one place you can walk to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Neil S, Manager at Quality Inn Newark, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
We are please that you enjoyed your stay at the Quality Inn, and we strive to provide 100% customer satisfaction. Hopefully you will stay with us again. Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to comment on your stay.
Newark, Delaware, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I am staying here for my month long rotation at Christiana Hospital. It is conveniently located right up the street and directly off I95... HOWEVER, I had ants and a stinkbug in one room - they told me they would spray the next day while I was at the hospital. I came back the next day only to still have ants and another stink bug! I moved the night stand away from the wall and there were hundreds of ants! They said they sprayed the room (but I'm guessing they didn't move any of the furniture).

I requested to change rooms that night and they put me into a bug free room, but the heater doesn't work!!!!!! I'm a cold natured person, and would like to sleep comfortably. I felt like such a burden to ask to change rooms again, but it's not my fault it doesn't work!

The staff is nice and the free breakfast is good. They have scrambled eggs, waffles, juices, bagels, toast, coffee, tea, etc... During the weekdays, they also offer popcorn in the afternoon. Internet is free

The hospital is paying for my room during the week, or else I would be changing hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words, but am I sorry for the inconveniences during your stay. We have fully re-vamped our pest control program, which has yielded great results, with no recent sightings throughout the property. I also apologize for the heater issue. We have since had our Maintenance Supervisor check all HVAC units to verify their operation. I do thank you for your comments and hope that you return to stay with us to see the impact your review has made.
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Visited this hotel chain on 10/13/2012 after placing a reservation the week prior. Tucked back behind the Toys R Us, next to a Hilton I believe. Check-in was a breeze, 3-4 minutes and the front desk person was polite/friendly. Room was fine, modern, bathroom a tad dated, but adequate. No noise. Free Internet but didn't use. Tried the FREE continental breakfast (stayed at another Quality Inn a few months back and had the same experience) and it was great. Eggs, sausage, potatoes (but didn't have a chance to try), make your own waffels, juice, coffee, muffins...what else could you ask for? Check-out a breeze as well! Highly recommend!!!

Room Tip: Stayed on 3rd floor, inside of building versus first 2 floors which are outside. No vending machine...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VMONEYMAN1
Thank you for warm words. I'll be sure to pass them along to our staff, as they take great pride in the hospitality they provide. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The first thing I noticed when i opened the door was the very distinct smell of cigarette smoke. All rooms in Quality Inn Newark is supposedly non-smoking. Worse is, the room is so small so it contained the smell all the more. Writing a bad review is not my thing but this experience is making me do because I cannot believe how this is the total opposite of what i read in Trip Advisor. This is a dump inn.
Also, check-in process is very slow not like the other hotel/inns in Newark DE.

All in all, a very bad experience for me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Please let me apologize for your experience with us. We are a non-smoking hotel, and have very customers who do not help us maintain that standard. Our Executive Housekeeper was been tasked with checking all rooms specifically for this issue, and the concern has been mitigated. Our Front Desk generally works quickly and efficiently, but I am sorry that you experience an unreasonable delay. We are investing to address our check-in and check-out process to make it more enjoyable for our guests. I hope that you stay with us again in the future so that we can turn around this review.
Schaumburg IL
Reviewed August 21, 2012

If you are just looking for a basic hotel this fits the purpose. Employee's are very friendly. I have now stayed at this hotel twice in the past six months. Hotel is not too far from Philadelphia. The complimentary breakfast is a nice touch. Free internet is also a plus. Nice pool, but we did not use it.

Room Tip: Not far from Philadelphia. Close to the University of Delaware (which is why I have now stayed twic...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
We sincerely appreciate the feedback and we are glad that you enjoyed our hospitality. Our staff prides themselves on their customer service. Hopefully you can stay longer on your next trip and get to enjoy our pool.