“highway access not convenient right now”

Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 20, 2008

agree with reviews by travelfor and ny,
beware that there is construction on the 95 and at certain times of the day traveling on the 7 becomes gridlocked. it took me approx. 45 minutes to get to the hotel from the mall, which you can see across the 95. it doesn't seem like much is going there, so the situation may not improve right away.
about the Courtyard...
Joyce, one of the servers, was so genuinely friendly and accommodating it almost compensated for how stern the front desk lady was, she must not like her job.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 8, 2008

I noticed that there have not been any recent reviews of this property. My visit this past week to the property was just "average". I have stayed in many Courtyards over the years and found this particular one not to be as nice as the others. The front desk was OK, not overly friendly but did their job. Where I was somewhat disappointed was the room. We were on the 4th floor overlooking a parking area (there is a Fairfield Inn right next door). The airconditioner NEVER stopped running and the room had a very Musty smell to it. I woke up the next morning with the worst headache possible after smelling the moldy smell all night long. The room had a damp feeling to it, almost wet! The bed linens seemed a bit thin and the pillows were in need to replacement.
We did not eat breakfast at the property (an additional $10.00pp)
as there was only one waitress/hostess on duty and she seemed a bit harried.
Overall, I would give this property a low 3 star rating. Its OK, it is what it is. We had a reservation at the University of Delaware location and wish we would have stayed there instead. However, the event we were attending was closer to this property and chose to stay here instead. I can actually say when we left , it did not leave with me a WOW! There is a Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant right next door along with a Borders Book Store that looked fun. All in all, I would probably not return to this property.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I stayed here with my husband and another couple while on a road trip to Virginia. We arrived later in the evening, but was greeted by a very friendly employee who happily checked us in. Our room was very clean. The front desk quickly sent more towels once we checked in since there were 4 of us.

The hotel was pretty quiet, considering its close proximity to the highway. Check-out was easy and the morning staff was also extremely friendly.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2007

Our soccer team reserved a block of rooms at the Courtyard by Marriott Christiana while attending a local tournament in New Castle, DE.

Our experience was excellent. Overall, the property seemed well cared for.

Our double bedroom had two queen size beds, a closet, a writing desk with another pullout desk (that doubled nicely as a dinner table for us), wingback chair for reading or watching tv, high speed connection, tv with cable, refrigerator and coffee maker in the butler's pantry, sink, and a separate bathroom with toilet and shower. The room and bathroom were very clean. Everything worked. The decor was tasteful and modern.

All of the lobby areas were very nice, clean and modern. There was a computer in the business area that had an attached printer and was equipped with high speed connection. The internet worked fine for accessing webmail and other sites.

Off the lobby were also comfortable seating areas with a nice fireplace.

Also off the lobby was a large breakfast area. Our package included $5 hot breakfast with waffles, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, cereal, fruits, cereals, bagels, and various breads. The breakfast was wonderful and everyone took advantage of it.

The property also had an indoor pool, washer and dryer, as well as ice machines and vending available on every floor.

The staff there were very helpful and unobtrusive. They provided us with everything we needed. Service was prompt and courteous.

All in all, we would highly recommend the Courtyard by Marriott Christiana to other travelers in this area.

• Stayed: November 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed May 30, 2006

Marriott upgraded the bedding in 2006 and this hotel was done earlier this year. Beds are fine. Rooms are spacious, kept clean. The rollout desk is a plus.

If you are a Marriott Gold or Platinum Rewards member, you can get free breakfast in the lobby. Show your card at front desk and they give you a voucher.

Considering the proximity to I-95, the rooms were fairly quiet. Exercise room was small but serviceable, pool looked good but I didn't use it.

Location OK. Right next to I-95 and Route 7. In the middle of a set of stores that includes a Staples, Office Max, Borders, Toys R Us and a Marriott Fairfield right next door. Christiana Mall is about 1500 feet tot he south on I-95.

Make sure you book a week in advance, this one fills up quickly due to proximity to hospital, U of Delaware and office complexes. Parking is also kind of tight when you get in late - be prepared for a hike to your room.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

We stayed here for a wedding that was being held at Deleware Park and we received a discount rate. The rooms appeared to be recently remodeled and the decor was trendy. The mattress was comfy and the room was fairly large.

After reading the previous posts before our trip I was nervous, but this may be the best Courtyard I have stayed at. The service was great and friendly and the location was perfect. We will stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank charlottehokie00
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I found hair in my bed, candy on the floor, a used toothpick on the chair, and a beatle in the shower. When I asked for different rooms -- the first had hair in the bed and the second was filled with cigar smoke (and it's supposed to be non-smoking). We ended up waiting 45 minutes for the only person in the hotel to come and change our beds in our original room. We asked to speak to a manager but he was out of town for the weekend. They gave us $10 off the price for the inconvenice -- I still paid $80 for the worst hotel of my life!

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business