“Close to Christiana Hospital”

Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Milford, DE
“Close to Christiana Hospital”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband was a patient at Christiana Care Hospital so I was looking for a Marriott hotel close by. They offer a special rate ($125/night) for patient's family members, provided you get a voucher from the visitor's desk at the hospital. This Marriott Courtyard is less than 5 minutes away. Front desk staff are very kind and helpful. Being a woman travelling alone, I felt very safe here. Nearby is the Christiana Mall, many restaurants and easy access to I 95.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not facing the highway as there is noise from traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. I hope everything went well for your husband at the hospital. We hope to see you back under better circumstances.

Jason Abbey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
PA
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Walking into the room, I was hit with an unusual smell. Phoned down to front desk, and they said they only had handicap rooms left so decided to remain. Did not get back into room until later that night, around 10, and by 11 I had a tremendous pounding headache and felt awful. It was that chemical smell, which I finally figured out was coming from the carpet. The front desk gave me the key to another room and the same smell was there, but not quite as strong, so the maintenance guy put an ozone machine in the room for an hour. By this time it is after 1 a.m. --- they shooed me out of the lobby and back into the room. I ended up spending the night in the desk chair pushed right up to the window, which I could only open a few inches, so get some fresh air. Needless to say got next to no sleep. The maintenance guy told me that their cleaning people spray a "freshener" whenever they clean the room. Which means that there are months and months and months of Febreze type stink in the carpet. Imagine spraying that in your car every day for a month and then sitting in the car with the windows shut -- that was what this room was like. I have to wonder what they are trying to hide with all that "freshener". I don't have allergies, so wasn't that. Coupled with fact that hotel right off highway and rooms noisy, I'd say stay anywhere else but here!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for room that has not been sprayed with chemicals lately!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear ConsultantfromPA,
I'm truly sorry you had such a poor experience at our hotel. Our housekeeping staff takes great pride in providing clean rooms for our guests and it is distressing to hear that you weren't happy with your room. We do spray an "air freshener" in the rooms, however, we don't put any chemicals in the carpets beyond regular carpet cleaning. If this smell was the cause of the displeasing odor, again, I'm very sorry. I would be happy to speak with you about the incident and it woud be helpful to find out the room in which you were placed.
Please call me at your earliest convenience at 302-456-3800.

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2013

From check in to check out the staff were pleasant and accommodating. I wish I could remember the name of the agent who checked us in as she deserves kudos. Although the room was small it had everything we needed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words, we hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have not received such poor customer service in a very long time. I have patronized this hotel for over 5 years and it’s been great until recently. I’m not sure how to even write this review because there are so many bizarre things that happened and there’s not enough space to describe it all. I will just recap the inadequate service. During check in I experienced lack of knowledge, the inability to make decisions, blatant lies, being talked to like a 3 year old, and that was in less than five minutes. The hotel team has a total lack of communication. It took three of them to check me in and honestly all they did was argue and lie to me. I had two reservations which they said they combined but that was not the truth. My room card stopped working, housekeeping woke me up, and I had to take several trips to the front desk...one inconvenience after the other. The front desk manager is an absolute nightmare and takes ownership for nothing. She is condescending, fake and has no idea how to deal with loyal customers. In addition to poor service they run programs for Elite members and never issue the points that you win. The hotel is clean, in a safe area and very convenient but it now comes with a price. If you’re good with being disrespected by management, lied to and made to feel your loyalty means nothing then this is the hotel for you. It’s such a shame that a few new employees have brought the place down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Snowdogz,
Thank you for your review and the kind comments regarding cleanliness and convenience. On the other hand, I am very sorry you experienced the lack of service and communication you expect from Marriott. I don't know the exact circumstances of your stay so it is difficult for me to comment on your situation, but I can see that you are very upset. By reading your review, we definitely did a poor job in communicating bewtween our team and with you. I'm disappointed that our staff wasn't able to sort out the confusion and meet your needs at check-in and throughout your stay. I don't believe this is typical from our staff, and I would be grateful for any follow-up to this situation you would like to provide. Please call me at your convenience at 302-456-3800 ext 601.

Sharon, MA
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a means to break up a long drive to a beach vacation in South Carolina. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.

The good:
-- the room was very clean and clearly had been recently updated
-- the hotel itself was basically right off the highway so it was very convenient
-- the staff was very friendly
-- close to fast food

The not so good:
-- this is not-picking but we had to wait 15 minutes or so before we could get our room for the staff to work out some sort of glitch in their computer system that kept telling them there were no more rooms left with two queen beds (even though they knew they were). They worked out the problem and were very polite and professional.
-- wouldn't call the area it is in "charming". It is tucked amid a bunch of strip mall-like structures. Very convenient though.

If you are looking for a convenient, clean and comfortable stopover in the Newark,DE area, this is a great option.

• Stayed July 2013
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your response. I'm very sorry about the delay at check-in. I hope the rest of your stay made up for it. I would agree, our area isn't very charming. On the bright side, its very safe and a great area to do some shopping in tax free Delaware. I hope you have a chance to stay with us again.

General Manaer
Connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night while visiting someone at the nearby hospital. The hotel is just minutes away from the hospital, is very clean, and our room was very nice. We were able to check in at the last minute on a Saturday night and they were very accommodating even though we could see that they were pretty full.

Marriott is a bit more expensive than some of the other chain hotels in the area, but it was clean and very comfortable, and worth the little bit extra to stay in a nice place. Having a Dunkin Donuts right next door is a plus. We didn't use any of the extra amenities, but we were happy with our stay, and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay. We have been very busy so far this summer on our weekends. If you come again, inquire at the hospital help desk about our special rate with Christiana Hospital, it may save a few $$$.

Best Regards,
Fairfax VA
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is my favorite hotel when I travel to Newark for work. It's been renovated and the rooms are modern, comfortable, and very, very clean. Bathrooms are large, water pressure is great in the shower. Best of all is the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. Best night's sleep ever! I used to stay at the Newark Hilton, but it's getting a little tired and showing its age. The Marriott Courtyard is so much better than the Hilton. It's fresh, modern, spotless, and very comfortable for business or pleasure. They also have a great breakfast service, with lots of delicious choices. the Egg Scramble is my favorite. Staff is always great and very friendly. See you all next time I am in Newark!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth A
Thank you for your kind words. We are very proud of our recent renovation and the addition of the Bistro restaurant. We hope to see you again soon!

G.M.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Sheraton Wilmington South
Sheraton Wilmington South
#1 of 12 in New Castle

Been to Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall? Share your experiences!