“The closest motel to our house. We stayed there when in was quality inn”

Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed March 21, 2014

It has been several years since we stayed there; but I believe that it has the same owners. It has switched companies several times. It was very clean and comfortable, and the back part of the inn was quiet and great for pet owners. We pass by it frequently and it looks very nice from the outside. The property was flooded and was closed for over a year, and reopened as Motel 6 and now is Roadway.

Room Tip: The quietest spot was back in the corner upstairs.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
RakeshNaik, Manager at Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear guest,

I really appreciate your business and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive a positive feedback.

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience.

Rakesh Naik
Rodeway Inn, Newark, DE

There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington

Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed here two nights during the massive power outage in the Philadelphia area where I live. Hotel looks nice, room was cheerful and clean, had a fridge, bed was very comfortable, cable and wi-fi both worked well, and it was definitely quiet all night. The heater worked well and was whisper quiet. There was a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning with waffles, toast, mini-bagels, cereal, juice, and coffee. Could have used perhaps a few more selections, but overall it was better than most Rodeway Inns' breakfasts. Paid only $58 with tax each night, making this an incredible value. There is a Friendly's across the street open till 11pm. The family operating the hotel was friendly and helpful. No, it's not a Hyatt, but it would be difficult to find any place of this quality for the rate they charge. I drove 115 miles round trip from my home near Philadelphia the second night just to sleep here again. How can I top that to convince anyone about my recommendation?

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank GroupLeaderSJHS
RakeshNaik, General Manager at Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to serve you duing your recent stay at our hotel. We very much appreciate and value your review and will share it with our team. Your responce will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive review.

Rakesh Naik
Rodeway Inn, Newark, DE

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I booked this hotel via Hotels.com. I needed a place to stay for a conference in Wilmington. From the photos online, it looked OK, and there was a notation that the facility had been renovated in Jan 2013.

This property was a motel, with a sportsbar right next to it (sharing parking, it seemed), very close to I-95 exit.

Checkout was convenient. Staff was friendly. Parking was easy, although we chose to park away from our room due to the sports bar patrons (to avoid any sports bar patrons potential for dinging our car).

The room smelled musty, with an after-smell of cigarette smoke (although it was a no smoking room, with a $75 cleaning fine if a guest smoked in the room). There was a giant wet spot on the carpet that never went away, even after staff vacuumed (staff suggested we not spill water on the floor, but wet spot was there from the beginning). We had issues opening the door; staff showed us about lifting handle before opening but it took us a dozen tries each time we went to open the door. The frig and microwave are obvious add-ons, as the microwave sits on the bedside table, but they did work fine.The continental breakfast, provided in a refurbished guest room rather than the lobby (which doesn't have room) consisted of stale cereal, stale bread, "OK" small bagels and small danish, make-your-own waffles, coffee, and juice.

The sports bar was a very negative factor in our stay. Perhaps if we were on the other side of the property, we wouldn't have heard the music, patrons' talking, standing within 8 feet of my room door and drinking and smoking and talking and singing, and car engine revving to all hours, but we did hear all of that noise. Of course, the other side of the property is right on I-95, so there may have been a different noise factor there.

There is a Boston Market very close to the property. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had booked a room at Howard Johnson's across the street but left due to a roach crawling on the wall. Needless to say, I was in desperate need for a place to stay!
Front desk staff allowed me to check out the room before booking.
This hotel is one of those you get what you pay for, good budget hotel.
Rooms were clean, linens were clean, heat worked well, and shower was hot.
Some areas of the carpet were wet, seemed they were just shampooed ( a plus)
Cons- Outside looked very shabby, area where ice machine was smelled of urine, and very noisy. Did not feel safe, a few sketchy hotel guests "just hanging around" (bar right next door). Also, very noisy. Im pretty sure there were a few parties going on in this hotel and close to the main road.
All in all, satisfied. I really appreciate the great service when I was in despair.
Would not stay again simply due to the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank deborac2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was in town for a reunion, needed it only to sleep. met my expectations. Breakfast was Average, waffles and cereal. the room was clean, had clean linen. It's nothing fancy, a nice budget hotel. I would stay at this location again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Makesha B
RakeshNaik, General Manager at Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Makesha,
I sincerely thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. I am really glad to see your review on TripAdvisor. I feel very happy to see your satisfaction. Your review inspires me to serve the guest better and it will help me for getting more business. Once again I thank you and I am looking forward to serve you again.
Bye and take care.
Rakesh Naik.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this property for one night when I went to the area on business. A travel coupon made the total cost $54 for the single night, which was quite a bit lower than other motels in the area. The motel was easy to find, but be prepared to try finding a place to make a u-turn to get to it if you are coming off the interstate. The lobby was very clean and bright and the gentleman who checked me was friendly and efficient. I was given room #105, which must be a handicapped room, based upon the size and layout of the bathroom. One of the first things I noticed was how dark the room was. There was a lamp on the TV stand and one on a nightstand...that was it for the room. The lack of light just added to the dingy appearance of the room...dark / old bedspread and carpet. The room and linen were clean, but everything was showing its age. The bathroom was clean and bright and looked like it didn't belong attached to the dingy bedroom. The motel provided a strong, security enabled wifi signal and there was a fair selection of cable channels. The TV's remote control was very sluggish and made changing channels a bit of a chore. Despite the number of guests staying in adjacent rooms and the highway that was very close to the room, I experienced a quiet night and slept quite comfortably in the bed. There is a sports bar sharing the same lot and a very good Chinese restaurant down the street next to the Shell station. The property does not provide any large vehicle or RV parking and I probably would have stayed across the road at the Howard Johnson's had I been pulling my trailer and needed the extra parking space. Breakfast is served in room 115 starting at 6 a.m., but I left just before that time and the room's curtains were drawn, so I didn't even get a look at what they were providing. Overall, it was a comfortable stay at a reasonable price and pretty much what I expected from an ABVI.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick D
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I needed a place to stay in Newark close to the Turnpike. I didn't expect much because the price was low but I did expect more than I got. I have stayed at the hotel across the street a year ago and it was definitely a cut above--I only picked this one because it was about the same price and I knew I wouldn't have to make a left turn in and out. The staff person at the desk was friendly but I had to go back to the desk several times to find out how to turn on the lights in the room and where the ice machine was. I would not have felt safe going to get ice if it had been dark out--it was accessible by an outside, unlit stairway and was a separate small room off the second floor corridor. The room smelled musty; I think the sheets and bathroom were clean but I saw at least a half dozen spiders and was surprised the next morning to discover the room coffee maker's pot hadn't been cleaned out since the last time it was used. It was one of the skimpiest continental breakfasts I've had at a hotel (though the orange juice was good). The pool was not only closed but it looked like it hadn't been opened in years. I will not go back again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sally I
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University
Candlewood Suites Newark South
Baymont Inn & Suites Newark at University of Delaware
Days Inn Newark Wilmington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area

Been to Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington? Share your experiences!