“It's a good budget hotel”

Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Millsboro
“It's a good budget hotel”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I was in town for a reunion, needed it only to sleep. met my expectations. Breakfast was Average, waffles and cereal. the room was clean, had clean linen. It's nothing fancy, a nice budget hotel. I would stay at this location again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Makesha B
RakeshNaik, General Manager at Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Makesha,
I sincerely thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. I am really glad to see your review on TripAdvisor. I feel very happy to see your satisfaction. Your review inspires me to serve the guest better and it will help me for getting more business. Once again I thank you and I am looking forward to serve you again.
Bye and take care.
Rakesh Naik.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rome City, Indiana, United States
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed at this property for one night when I went to the area on business. A travel coupon made the total cost $54 for the single night, which was quite a bit lower than other motels in the area. The motel was easy to find, but be prepared to try finding a place to make a u-turn to get to it if you are coming off the interstate. The lobby was very clean and bright and the gentleman who checked me was friendly and efficient. I was given room #105, which must be a handicapped room, based upon the size and layout of the bathroom. One of the first things I noticed was how dark the room was. There was a lamp on the TV stand and one on a nightstand...that was it for the room. The lack of light just added to the dingy appearance of the room...dark / old bedspread and carpet. The room and linen were clean, but everything was showing its age. The bathroom was clean and bright and looked like it didn't belong attached to the dingy bedroom. The motel provided a strong, security enabled wifi signal and there was a fair selection of cable channels. The TV's remote control was very sluggish and made changing channels a bit of a chore. Despite the number of guests staying in adjacent rooms and the highway that was very close to the room, I experienced a quiet night and slept quite comfortably in the bed. There is a sports bar sharing the same lot and a very good Chinese restaurant down the street next to the Shell station. The property does not provide any large vehicle or RV parking and I probably would have stayed across the road at the Howard Johnson's had I been pulling my trailer and needed the extra parking space. Breakfast is served in room 115 starting at 6 a.m., but I left just before that time and the room's curtains were drawn, so I didn't even get a look at what they were providing. Overall, it was a comfortable stay at a reasonable price and pretty much what I expected from an ABVI.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rick D
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I needed a place to stay in Newark close to the Turnpike. I didn't expect much because the price was low but I did expect more than I got. I have stayed at the hotel across the street a year ago and it was definitely a cut above--I only picked this one because it was about the same price and I knew I wouldn't have to make a left turn in and out. The staff person at the desk was friendly but I had to go back to the desk several times to find out how to turn on the lights in the room and where the ice machine was. I would not have felt safe going to get ice if it had been dark out--it was accessible by an outside, unlit stairway and was a separate small room off the second floor corridor. The room smelled musty; I think the sheets and bathroom were clean but I saw at least a half dozen spiders and was surprised the next morning to discover the room coffee maker's pot hadn't been cleaned out since the last time it was used. It was one of the skimpiest continental breakfasts I've had at a hotel (though the orange juice was good). The pool was not only closed but it looked like it hadn't been opened in years. I will not go back again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sally I
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked this the last minute on Hotwire because I wanted to be near my sons college for graduation...Last minute and got this. Don't stay here if you are grossed out by dirty, dingy and creepy surroundings. I really hate doing a review like this but there were so many unpleasent events...The sink didn't drain, the toilet kept running ....we finally turned off the valve to the water.The tops of the counters and end tables were filthy. I brought wipes so we cleaned everthing. The sheets looked clean and so we stayed the night. I would never recommend this place. Even the "free breakfast" was pathetic. There was a woment standing there like an armed gaurd watching our every move. The choices were terrible. I didn't eat.....I don't know who said it's nice now but it's not nice....I wouldn't put myself out and write this if I didn't feel so bad about our experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank corny
Milton
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed here many years ago and it was run down NOW it is Great!
I will be here long term as I was before but at that time I stayed 1st at Howard J and was KICK OUT as they wanted to collect $125.00 a night for a College Event!!!
That is when I moved to Best Value (then it was Quality Inn). Please try to view this as : Americas Best Value Inn, Located In Newark, DE.
They said they would NOT KICK ME out for an EVENT.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sharron S
Toronto
Reviewed January 13, 2012

REASON FOR MY STAY: Shopping trip
CHECK IN: we checked in very late, 2am, after driving 7 hours. the check in went smoothly, and the gentlemen at the from gave us 3pm checkout since we arrived so late. This was very nice. However when we did pull up to the hotel there were 2 police cars in front of the hotel.
ROOM: The hotel is older, and the room did smell a bit musty. Windows are big, however make the room feel like a warehouse as they were very dirty. Although the room was non smoking the room smelled like smoke. The free breakfast was uncooked eggs, fruit and toast. My boyfriend and I grabbed coffee and when to pack to leave.
CHECKOUT: we checked out before 10 am.
Other Comments: don’t expect anything good to surprise you. it is what it is.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I travel about once a month to participate in some events I enjoy. Being a middle-class American I look for the best rates in relation to the distance from my event location (so I have seen my share of cheap lodging). This trip I had booked at another hotel as it was less expensive but it was further away and when my friend's plans changed and I had to travel alone I figured I would just stay closer and pay slightly more.

Traveling from several hours away I just checked in, unloaded my belongings and called it a night, too tired to care too much about what I was in for. Before entering the room though I noticed that the grounds were in need of some care as there was a LOT of litter scattered about and I was a bit perturbed that they had decided to give me (a single female traveling alone) a room next to a block of rowdy, loud, drinking men (needless to say I wasn't too comfortable with the set up but again, was too tired to really think about it).

Well, when I did take the time to look about the room BOY was I surprised! The bedding and towels were clean (that was apparent) and the bathroom amenties. That was about it. The carpet was grossly stained (I wouldn't even walk around with shoes on). The fridge had spilled juice or wine in it. The TV didn't work (thank God for laptops and at least they had wifi). The window and mirrors were disgustingly dirty. The blanket on the bed had cigarette burns in it. And when you had the fan on in the bathroom it would fill up with the smell of cigarettes (I was in a non smoking room and am rather sensitive to the smell).

Working in the hospitality industry myself, I know one should voice their concerns but by the time I discovered what I was staying in it as just awkwardly late, plus only staying 2 nights I didn't want to have to repack to move to another room (figured it wouldn't kill me to tough it out). But also working in hospitality I know that the conditions of the room were unacceptable. I started off as a maid; I would have been fired in a heart beat if I left the room looking that way. I was half tempted to go buy supplies and clean it myself.

Needless to say, out of all of the times that I have traveled (mostly alone) I was the most uncomfortable here. The only positives about it were that the front desk staff was pleasant enough and the location was convenient. But I learned my lesson, you definitely get what you pay for and next time I will be looking elsewhere. And I suggest others do as well.

Room Tip: Don't stay