“My room stunk (literally)”

Ramada Newark/Wilmington
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Lewistown
“My room stunk (literally)”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were "taken back" by the humidity, and the musty, stale odor immediately upon entering the room; our breath was literally taken away. I went straight to the A/C unit to get some cool air circulating in the room. The fan on the A/C unit would not work. The front desk sent a mainenance worker to check the A/C. I was told that there was nothing that could be done with the A/C at the time. It was probably 8:00 PM on a Saturday so that answer did not upset me. He came promptly, but was unable to repair the unit. I went to the desk and requested another room. The desk sent a different maintenance worker to the room. I waited at the desk for him to return. I am not bilingual and could not understand him, but he hugged himself and shivered and said "cold, need blankets" I think. The desk's translation was that the A/C was working properly. When I returned to the room, the A/C was not working properly. There was what appeared to be black spots of mold on the curtains; that A/C unit has not worked for some time and I doubt that we were the first to report the inoperable A/C. We were given a room at their "sister hotel" next door as the Ramada was full. I had no problem moving; we were staying only one night and had packed light and hadn't unpacked yet. My problem is the air quality in the room and what I suspect to be an unhealthy condition. I cannot prove it, but I suspect that the next person calling the Ramada looking for a room was given that room after we moved next door. I will never book nor recommend the Ramada in the future.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Dwayne P, Director of Sales at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I am very sorry for the experience you had while staying with us. I am very sorry we were not able to move your room with in our hotel, but were able to accommodate you at our hotel next door. I hope you will reconsider staying with us if you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed June 3, 2013

What was a very beautiful hotel was completely ruined by the staff of the Ramada Newark/Wilmington. Overall the building and room was 5 star all the way. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had one of the best night's rest ever. Sadly though the hotel staff was extremely rude and treated you like you were more of an inconvenience. When I arrived I had a very long trip from NYC to Delaware and was on empty energy wise. While I was getting myself together the front desk worker hurried me along as if there was a long line (there wasn't). That was one example. Another was that the laundry machine was broken and the staff did nothing to make up for it...no hey here is the money you spent on the machine, no hey we will send this out for no cost nothing. FYI there is another hotel in this location-which I will look into staying next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for our comments. We strive hard to be the best in customer service, and I am sorry you did not experience that. I am glad you did enjoy our facilities. I hope that when your in the area you will stay with us again, and experience both great customer service and a good night sleep.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Booked 3 hotel rooms on 12/23/12 thru Orbitz. Went to check in on 5/24/13 only to find the hotel had overbooked and "3rd party reservations are not guaranteed". We were sent to a lessor hotel 15 minutes away. When Orbitz called the hotel to check on problem (took +2 hours of discussing and being on hold) Ramada lied to Orbitz and said our rooms were ready but we didn't want to wait for hem to be cleaned. This was at 6:30 at night after driving or 6 hours. And am going to be refunded the difference in rates from Ramada to Quality Inn for my troubles. In other words, NOBODY suffers from this debacle but me. No compensation from Ramada nor Orbitz.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize for the experience you received. We strive hard to be the best in customer service. We thank you for your comments. I hope when your in the area again you will reconsider the Ramada.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our family, a party of eight, traveled to Newark last weekend to attend the graduation ceremonies for our son at UDel. Several months ago (December) my wife made, paid for, and confirmed a reservation on Orbitz for three rooms.

After a long day in the car, and with paperwork in hand, we approached the front desk only to be informed by the clerk that they had overbooked the hotel and our rooms were not and would not be available. It was at this point when we were told that reservations booked through third parties were NEVER guaranteed. Interestingly enough there was another couple having the same issues that had booked their room through price line. As it turned out this was a common theme on this day!

We were referred to a "sister property" and told that we would be given a voucher for the difference in room rates...... We called Orbitz who indicated that their reservations were in fact guaranteed and could not believe that the Hotel was not going to honor them.

This back and forth goes on over several calls....So this is the how the story ended. We stayed at the sister hotel only because choices were limited at this point. Orbitiz called us and indicated that they had contacted the Remada on our behalf. They were informed that they weren't sure what happened. They said our rooms were available but not cleaned yet (we arrived at 5 p.m.) and that we chose to leave and stay elsewhere. Moreover there was nothing they could do and we would not even get a room credit.....This was completely untrue.......we called the Remada back to ask them why they had been untruthful with us and lied to Orbitz! The would not respond and hung up.....

Lessons learned? I will never stay at at Remada.......I will re-tell this story often...... and I will not recommend Orbitz as they turned out to not be much of an advocate for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I would like to take this time to apologize for your experience you had. Over all I hope that the graduation was a success.
Phoenixille PA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have stayed at this Ramada for 4 years now while our daughter attended the University of De...this time was different. When I made the reservation I requested a roll away bed and was told OK, when I confirmed my reservation 2 weeks prior to my reserved dates I reminded them I need a roll away bed, I was told OK....I checked in and the staff told me they would have the bed sent to my room...it never came. I walked tot he front desk to ask again...I was told they were getting the bed for me; when I returned to my room I received a message from the front desk telling me they had NO roll away beds....C'mon...what type of customer service is that...after 4 years of staying here???

1 Thank MisseyMBJ
Dwayne P, Director of Sales at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel, I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations this time. We strive to be the best in customer service as you have experienced in the past. I hope you will return to our hotel again to experience the customer service you have known in the past that we provide. I have taken your comments and shared them with our staff, we look forward to your next visit.