“Exceeded expectations - great food and service!”

Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 365 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

This place was great! My husband and I wanted a real dinner as opposed to fast food to break up a road trip tonight (he always wants to check out college towns we pass by) and we came in to Iron Hill Brewery based on the yelp reviews. Even though it's rated highly, we were just expecting typical bar food, so we were pleasantly surprised by the large menu full of unique, diverse, and upscale options.

We were starving and everything looked and smelled delicious, so we took our fabulous server's recommendations and started with the crispy brussels sprouts and cheesesteak egg rolls, and both were awesome - so much flavor! I then ordered the mac and cheese, because how could I not try mac and cheese that included butternut squash, caramelized onions, and sage? My husband got mussels...and a pork taco from the small plates menu. I told you, we were really hungry. (And indecisive.) I thought we would be taking leftovers home with us but there was not a single bite of anything left. Everything was delicious! Especially the pork taco, and the mussels were in an awesome cream sauce. We also tried a beer sampler and got 6 generously sized tasters of their different brews. Our faves were the porter ale and nut brown ale, but all were great.

While the food and drinks were delish and exceeded our expectations, the reason I really felt compelled to write a review as soon as we jumped back in the car was our waitress, Erin. She was upbeat, friendly, and genuine, immediately making change for us to feed the meter, then engaging in great conversation and patiently answering our many questions, about everything from the menu to the best beaches in DE. She was so enthusiastic about her favorite dishes and beers that we took her up on all of them, and she didn't steer us wrong once. We always ask for recommendations from servers when eating somewhere new to us and love it when they actually have opinions and enthusiasm about their restaurant/menu - as opposed to the disinterested cop out "everything's good/depends on what you like." Erin was genuinely excited to help guide us when we said we hadn't been there before, and she was a pleasure to talk to. We could have stayed and talked her ear off all night and bought her a glass of her favorite nut brown ale - if she wasn't on the clock and we didn't have to get back on the road. :)

My five stars are for the category of casual dining/American bar/brewery food - top notch in those areas. Very reasonably priced for great quality. Five stars also for the authentic, friendly service from the whole staff, especially Erin. We would definitely recommend Iron Hill to anyone in the area and will absolutely make this our stop if passing through the area again!

There are newer reviews for Iron Hill Brewery & Restaurant

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

At Delaware's NSO with my daughter and we chose this place for a quick dinner. Food was good! Pretty extensive menu for a brewery! Beer was yummy!! I would go back!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Haven't enjoyed this place in a while and since the "kids" are out of town for the summer thought we would stop in. We must be getting old eating so early as it was only 5:15 and the place was quiet, but not for long it was lively by the time we left at 6:00. Menu has a bit of everything. I had a great salad and enjoyed the fresh beers on tap. Our server was very knowlegable of the beers and discribed them perfectly to taste. Meals were served very hot and perfectly cooked steaks were not huge but had great taste cooked medium rare. Booths are high backed to cut down on noise as a matter of fact we were surprised how many people had arrived while we were seated as it never got loud.
Parking meters have been improved out front to accept credit cards which I think is great. I have no complaints and look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My husband and I went to Iron Hill Brewery last night for dinner and had a wonderful meal. We both started with salads, which were very generous in size for starter salads. He had crab cakes and I had scallops, and both were very enjoyable. The fries that came with the crab cakes would have been too salty for me, but my husband liked them. The wait staff was very friendly and attentive.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

They know what I like and deliver pretty much all the time. Food is a bit pricey, but really, are we really there for food? Service is top notch.