“Nice little "Hole in the Wall"”
Review of Caffe Gelato

Caffe Gelato
Reserve with OpenTable
Caffe Gelato is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 360 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Italian, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Academy
Bear, Delaware, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice little "Hole in the Wall"”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I saw this place when driving around in the area. We decided to stop in and try it out. We are so glad that we did! We really enjoyed a nice quiet romantic dinner for two out on the terrace! You should go try it out! You won't be disappointed! :)

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Nice setting but pricey”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Definitely make reservations if you want to go for dinner, especially on a weekend. We got there and there were many people waiting so we were happy to have reservations. However, when the hostess went to seat us immediately, an older rude couple cut us off and said "that's our table, we were here first" - at which the hostess gave us a sheepish look and seated the rude couple! She then joked with us about it and immediately took us to another table, but we were annoyed that she didn't clarify for the rude couple that yes, the first table was intended for us as we had reservations. The experience made us to feel like we had been out of place, when truly that couple had no manners and the hostess just went with it. Our waiter was great and made some recommendations. The tri tip tortellini was great as always. My husband's dish was just ok. We had an awesome soup too. We visit this restaurant occasionally, and it's definitely pricey - some dishes seem more worth the price than others. I've also found it to be hit or miss as far as food quality in the past so am hoping this most recent experience is an example of consistency to come. It's a great spot to eat outside on the patio when the weather is nice out as well.

Colts Neck
“Great meal and service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went to Caffe Gelato on a very busy Saturday evening. Despite the crowd, the service was prompt, the food delicious and prepared as requested, and the entire staff was very friendly. Special thanks to our waiter, Josh, who went out of his way to make our experience wonderful.

• Visited November 2012
NEWARK
“Gelato is the highlight”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great, homemade gelato with fresh ingredients. Regular dining is erratic, with some food really good and some not so great. Staff is always rushed and not always attentive. It's hit or miss for a meal but always good for gelato.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Muralmakerinnewark
Hagerstown, Maryland
“Very Good Enjoyable Meal”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My sister and I had dinner on a Saturday night. Main Street had lots of action and was very crowded, so I was surprised that we got a table right away with no reservations. The atmosphere was loud and fun. We started with an appetizer of Calamari, which was excellent, and a bottle of wine from their wine list, which had many good options. We didn't feel rushed which was great. It gave us a chance to relax and catch up. We both ordered the Frutti di Mare (shrimp, clams, mussels and calamari in a garlic white wine sauce over homemade pasta). My plate didn't have as much sauce as my sister's, but it was very good. While I left feeling completely satisfied, a big eater would probably leave wanting more. However, they are known for their Gelato (they gave me a sample) that I highly recommend leaving room for. I will definately go back.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Caffe Gelato? Share your experiences!