“Very good but perhaps over-priced hamburgers”

Jake's Wayback Burgers
Ranked #121 of 384 Restaurants in Newark
Reviewed April 16, 2013

When I step into this VERY unassuming burger joint, I wonder whether I am seeing fast-food history being made. This is, afterall, where the Jack's burger "empire" began -- a concept they are now trying to franchise across the country under the "Wayback" concept. It remains to be seen how successful that effort will be; for the moment, they're kind of a "Five Guys" wannabe.

What they have going for themselves is that their burgers are quite good. The Jake's burger has two patties which, if I had to guess, seem to equal about a 1/3 lb burger. The burgers are extremely juicy, and there's a good choice of toppings. Their other core competencies seem to be milkshakes (good, but variable in thickness) and french fries/onion rings (also good, but nothing to seek out). It usually takes about 10 minutes to get your food, and there's limited seating inside and in a covered "picnic area" outside.

What I find a bit problematic about Jake's is the price. A Jake's cheeseburger (the two patty sandwich) is now $5.79; a small order of french fries is about $2 and a small milkshake a bit more than that. So, as you can tell, this is fairly expensive "fast food." Honestly, I don't think their burger is worth $5.79. The good news, though, is that you can usually go online and print a coupon. Like they'll offer 2 burgers for the price of 1 if you buy a beverage. With these discounts, the price to quality ratio is acceptable, and I am a repeat customer.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Grease is the word.....Not the best burger I have ever had....Not worth the money either we actually ended up ill from all the grease

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I used 2 love Jake's when they 1st started in their humble beginnings of 1, 2...3 locations. We visited Jake's on the 1st day of Summer this year. Apparently they had some special going on with that 4 getting a free baby milkshake. We ordered that and some food 4 dinner. Several problems arose.

The staff ranged from mildly 2 enthusiastically, obediently polite, the kind of politeness that is drilled into u by militant management. I say this as it was impressive...being that, no lie it was surely around 100 degrees (if not more) in there as they had a BROKEN air conditioner. This, on a very humid, hot summer day, in small enclosed space with a grill burning all day long. I was extremely upset that the franchise or corporate owner did not remedy this with a portable unit, as would b my 1st thought. 2 have staff work in these conditions is unthinkable and inhumane. This was my 1st impression...and my 2nd thought was that 2 also subject the customers 2 this is a purely stupid business move. I felt so bad 4 the staff. I also felt bad 4 us after, literally 30minutes we sat inside, literally becoming sick 2 the stomach from the heat...waiting 4 2 milkshakes (which we didn't get until many people came & went with theirs?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? We should've had them 1st & foremost!?!?!!) All what ordered was 1 hamburger, 1 hot dog and an order of fries. Just that and 30 minutes later... we got our food and even though I had asked 4 BBQ, none was on it...more waiting. The cook staff (I guess understandably) was less kind and willing 2 help with my lack of BBQ sauce situation.

We were so hot inside when we finally got our food squared away, we ate outside at their picnic table (again, it was very humid and nasty out but better out than in there!). The picnic table area seemed dirty & unappetizing.

Again our main ordertaker/cashier was admirably cheerful & kind... but the experience from so many angles was really off-putting. 4 the prices Jake's charges, the ambiance and overall experience, I won't b headed here again. Instead I would go 2 any number of places when in the mood 4 a burger including 5 Guys or of course when convenient, 2 Fat Guys (love this place wish they'd come 2 the Newark area!). Heck, the DQ or even BK (with their AWESOME veggie burgers!) would have been a better overall experience and WOULD recommend that over Jake's. I'm glad others have had better experiences but sorry, overall it just wasn't worth it, even if the heat weren't in the mix of the experience, I just can't recommend.

Hope u find this helpful.

1  Thank CeaCea B
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I love the burgers and the french fries! The shakes also taste delicious. If you have never tried it...you should at least once. Then, once you try it...you will go back for more! :)

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Everything is great at that location. From their food to their service. One of the greatest burger places I have ever attended!