“Terrible hotel. Skip it.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Dirty room. Awful smells throughout--to the point where I was not willing to even try the breakfast and dinner. My TV did not work, my status was not recognized and when I mentioned the smell to the front desk staff, she did not care.

Room Tip: Choose the Embassy next door.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank K7744737
Steven S, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

I am terribly sorry to hear about the problems you experienced during your recent stay. I hope you received the e-mail I sent out to you in efforts to discuss your experience in detail. If you would be so kind to contact me directly at jason.doody@hilton.com or at 302-453-9700 I would greatly appreciate it.

Please know I will be addressing the problems you experienced with the appropriate departments to ensure this doesn't happen in the future.

Again, my deppest apologies and I thank you for the feedback.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I just stayed at this property while traveling back to our home from visiting relatives during the holiday season. Our overall impression was great. There were a few small issues, but nothing out of the ordinary.
The first issue that was more of an annoyance than anything was the static electricity that built on us while just walking down the hall. The Hotel has beautiful new carpets. The problem is that in my walk from my door to the elevator, a huge static cling would build up, which would then discharge as soon as I touched the elevator call button. Maybe I was dragging my feet too much. This though was a minor annoyance that will likely fix itself over time as the carpets wear a little or I learn to take higher steps.
The only other issue was that we specifically requested a crib for our daughter and instead had a roll-away bed waiting for us. I called the front desk and they fixed the issue immediately.
There were plenty of good things to say about the hotel and its staff. All staff were quite courteous and approachable. They were also very responsive to any requests we had.
The hotel was extremely well kept up. The room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. Considering dinner and breakfast are included on weekdays, the price was also a good deal. This especially goes for travelers with kids who don't want to fork out $50+ just to have to drive somewhere and buy food at a restaurant.
Overall, I really liked this place and would definetely stop back if I am going through the Wilmington Area again.

Room Tip: Get a suite, there doors to the outside hall way are not that well insulated. A suite would give yo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Room was very clean with many amenities . Food and food service very good. Front desk people nicest ever encountered. Highly recommend staying here to all travelers, as it is close to highway exit and close to UD.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stopped in on the Dec. 27th on our way to D.C. Rooms were in very nice shape, very clean. Front desk was helpful and courteous. Pool was clean and not over chlorinated. Breakfast was very good, though they did take away the waffle maker early that day. All in all a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Daniella and Carla were fabulous! They made us feel like family! The home cooked breakfast was excellent! We had a large family Christmas gathering and felt very comfortable. Rooms were very clean. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I travel to Wilmington on a weekly basis and prefer the Homewood Suites in Newark. The rooms are perfect- huge, comfortable, fridge, microwave, stove, two TVs, etc. Plus you get a complimentary breakfast and dinner in the lobby. They post the dinner schedule on the fridge so you can make up your mind beforehand. The staff is great, especially Bobbi in the morning. They truly make you feel at home, and that's important considering I am never at my actual home. That alone will bring me back here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Great service, Room was very clean... The young lady who manages the Breakfast I believe her name was Bobby was terrific. Rooms are very well kept and well appointed-- Well done all the way around. I had a king suite with a full kitchen area... although I didnt personally use it I can certainly see where it would come in handy for anyone staying for a longer period of time

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Travelers also viewed these Newark hotels
0 mi away
Candlewood Suites Newark South
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
2 mi away
Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South? Share your experiences!