“Almost Perfect”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Almost Perfect”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The place looked great! The service staff was good! The only problem was that it was below 60 degrees in my room and the heat was not working! It was October 26 and 42 degrees outside And NO HEAT!!! According to the hotel the heat was controlled by the university? Really??? They did supply a heater that didn't warm the room because of its miniature size. I never received the blankets I was promised either!!! I would suggest a better policy regarding the heat , in most places heat is available after October 15th. I had a horrible night and an aggravated medical condition because off the cold!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thanks for your note about your recent stay with us and I apologize for the issue with the guest room temperature, that is clearly unacceptable and not our standard. I hope you can give us a chance to regain your full confidence in our hotel and please contact me, Bill Sullivan, General Manager for your next visit to Newark and our Hotel.

thanks so much for taking the time to share this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Boston
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Visited my younger sister at university of delaware and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott by recommendation of my parents. It was the perfect place to stay for this trip. Due to a late flight, we checked in close to midnight and the man at the front desk was so kind even though it was so late! The rooms are updated and nice, ours had a balcony which was nice to open as the weather was perfect that weekend. The lobby is very nice too with many places to sit and gather withe friends. Did not eat there but breakfast looked good. The hotel is also a very short walk to Main Street. I am sure we will be staying here many times over the next four years and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for your very kind comments about our hotel and we welcome your family to the University of Delaware and our hotel. We hope we can be your "Newark Home" while your family member attends the University of Delaware. We are on campus and we agree with you about our great location for access to Newark Main Street, with over 100 shops and restaurants.

thanks so much
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I was in town for a wedding and really enjoyed my stay here. Free parking and walking distance to main st. Very clean and comfortable room. Starbucks in the lobby which is always a plus. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are pleased that your wedding event choose our hotel for their special event, and hope all had a pleasant stay. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Newark, thanks
Gaithersburg MD USA
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We checked in at approximately 9:00pm, looked at some TV and went to bed. We woke up at approximately 8:00am. When I looked down at the floor, I saw two bugs. They looked a little like ants but much bigger. One ran under the rug. I slammed the other with my shoe. It was still moving after a good hit, so I did it again. Ten minutes later I noticed it was still moving, so I hit it a third time. They must be wearing helmets, but this whack did the trick. I then opened the curtains. The windows were absolutely filthy.If you looked out the window from a distance, it appeared to be raining, but it wasn't. A little while later I saw another bug on the floor, or maybe it was the one I saw previously. I have stayed at Marriott properties throughout the US and Europe. I willl stay at them again. This includes Marriotts, Courtyards and the other Marriott brands. I willl never set fooot in the Newark, Delaware Couryard again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments on our hotel and I assure you that we take all feedback very seriously. Our staff will fully inspect the room that you stayed in and insure that any issues are fully corrected. We hope we have the opportunity in the near future to win you back as a valued guest.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed two nights while on a business trip. It's a very quiet, clean, and comfortable hotel. The staff is friendly and efficient. They have changed the way they handle breakfast since my stay there a year ago when we enjoyed a nice breakfast buffet. Now they have a small bistro where you order at the counter and then they bring your food to your table. Overall, a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Sincere thanks for your very positive comments about our hotel and staff. We are working hard to keep our Courtyard as one of the best in the US, and thanks to guests like you are doing well.

we hope to see you again soon in Newark!
United States
Reviewed October 1, 2013

First of all, the staff was very good. Very friendly and helpful. I think they could spend more on the toilet paper, considering it was the cheapest stuff I have ever experienced. For the money you would think they would have a free breakfast, but they don't even have the famous marriott buffett every day and no free coffee. I'd rather have free restaurant grade coffee than pay as much as I did for a room and still have to shell out for Starbucks. Room was nice, but don't get me started again on the toilet paper. Like using tree bark!

Room Tip: Non-smoking campus. If you have a patio room, you can't smoke out on the patio! And you are no...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Carolyn, thanks for taking the time to comment on our hotel, and we really appreciate your business. Your comments will help us continue to provide better service and facilities to our guests. I am sorry about breakfast, the Courtyard Brand does not offer free breakfast, but we do sell breakfast inclusive rates on all days, that offers a significant break on the cost of breakfast for our guests. We do provide complimentary coffee every day from 5:00am to 9:00am for all guests in the lobby, I apologize if this was not pointed out to you as you arrived. I appreciate your comment on the quality of the toilet paper, I will look to be sure we have the proper brand standard product for our guest rooms and public spaces.

Marriott US is an 100% non smoking hotel chain, and smoking is not permitted within 25 feet of the building. While I know this is an inconvenience for some guests, it has generally been well received by our guests. We are planning to build a “fire pit” area that will be available for smokers.

I hope you give us a chance in a future visit to fully regain your confidence in our hotel and value.
Long Valley, NJ
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

We were in Newark last weekend for a wedding and stayed here. It
was a great call! The hotel, staff, & food were top notch. This site is
truly the nicest Courtyard we've had the pleasure to stay at. If you
are in the area stay here!

• Stayed September 2013
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thanks for your very kind note about your recent visit to our hotel for a wedding event. We are pleased that you had a great stay, and we thank you for your business. Sharing feedback is vital to our success and we share your comments with our team of associates

thanks and all the best in your travels!