“Bad Reception”
Review of Super 8 Newark DE

Super 8 Newark DE
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed October 14, 2012

When I arrived at the reception, the receptionist was fast asleep, managed to wake him up and as soon us he was up said there were no rooms available I should come tomorrow, I was like man, I already payed and reserved the room, we had to argue this out for a while, apparently he was kind of still dreaming. It took a while befor he even called to check confirmation reciept and directed me to the room.

The room was said to have a desk but the so cllaed desk is what the TV was on, thank God I had to stay for a night and didn't travel with my girfriend. First impressions matter big time and I was least impressed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 11, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Family weekend at my daughter's college and I could not get a room anywhere except this Super 8. I thought, "how bad could it be, they are affiliated with Wyndham Hotels".
I arrived and was given a smoking room even though I requested non-smoking. The smell was not the worst part. The carpets were dirty. There were actual holes in the sheets and bedspreads. The furniture was scraped, bumped, torn. The mattresses sagged. There were used tissues on the floor between the nightstand and bed. There was feces on the wall behind the toilet. I am getting sick just thinking about the experience again. The door didn't lock unless you yanked it closed. The sound on the tv kept going off and on. There was a jagged steel piece sticking out of the bedframe that was quite dangerous.
Can't believe that they can remail in business.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We made reservations here because we were attending an open house at University of Delaware and all other hotels were booked. The price was great, especially with the AAA discount. I had read the negative reviews before I booked, so I wasn't surprised when I opened the door to a mildew smell. Air conditioner was noisy, a dirty facecloth was by the bed, along with some paper wrappers. Was noisy with the sound of base from a nearby club. We didn't spend much time in the room, but we did not get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My fiancee and I wanted to do a night out and decided to get a room in Newark and hit the bars. After finding out Howard Johnson's on 896 was sold out, we ended up here. The desk agent was very nice. We asked if we could see a room (to make sure it wasn't nasty) and he showed us around. The room cost $50 something a night. I say "something" because he never showed us a bill (definitely a minus) when we paid with a credit card. For $50-something I was very pleased with the room.

Now it should be said that, given the circumstances, I had pretty low standards. There were a few small bugs in the room (not near the bed), the air conditioner was very weak, and the bathroom was not spotless (the sink was slightly cracked and there was a little mildew around the caulking line of the tub). The King Bed was very comfortable. The room had a microwave and a mini-fridge. The hotel advertises free breakfast but we didn't get up early enough to catch it. The parking is very convenient and easy compared to other places on Main St.

The best part of staying at Super 8 was that my fiancee and I did not need a Designated Driver. The furthest bar on Main Street is only a 10 minute walk while the bar we ended up at was only about 5 minutes away from the hotel. The night life in Newark (when the University of Delaware is not in Fall or Spring Semester) can be pretty lively. When UD is in Fall or Spring Semester I would stay away from Newark. I went to UD and unfortunately my peers can be some of the rudest, crudest, basest drunks I've ever seen. We went on a Thursday night in the summer and there were many people walking the streets bar hopping at 11:30 at night. During the weekend it is probably busier. If you like going to bars, going to fancier restaurants, or dining on ethnic food, Newark is a great place to visit (when UD is not in main session).

For a couple or a group, I would consider night life on Main St. to be totally safe (when UD is not in main session).

I was glad to save money by staying at Super 8 but I can totally understand if the cleanliness of the rooms is unacceptable. You get what you pay for, and I think for the price Super 8 Newark is a great value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manchester88
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The dirtiest motel I've ever stayed in. Carpet looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in a century...cobwebs, spiders, bugs in bed, stains on bed sheets, lumpy pillows, plastic covers on matresses makes you feel like you are sleeping on a bed made for bedwetters. The outside of this motel is just as filthy. Needs new management, along with everything else. Obviously, someone needs hotel management 101. Would rather sleep outside under a tree...it would be cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Gibson1967
Reviewed May 4, 2011

First, our non-smoking room smelled like smoke... bad. The air conditioning unit smelled like vomit. The bathroom window was broken out and glass was on the floor. Of the 5 outlets in the room, only one worked. The bedding was not clean.

Now to top it all off, the bar next door played thumping music from 10pm until 2am keeping us awake... on a Tuesday. I have stayed in nicer hotels in post-earthquake Haiti. Never stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011