“Servicable for the price”
Review of Super 8 Newark DE

Super 8 Newark DE
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We made reservations here because we were attending an open house at University of Delaware and all other hotels were booked. The price was great, especially with the AAA discount. I had read the negative reviews before I booked, so I wasn't surprised when I opened the door to a mildew smell. Air conditioner was noisy, a dirty facecloth was by the bed, along with some paper wrappers. Was noisy with the sound of base from a nearby club. We didn't spend much time in the room, but we did not get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Newark DE

Reviewed July 16, 2011

My fiancee and I wanted to do a night out and decided to get a room in Newark and hit the bars. After finding out Howard Johnson's on 896 was sold out, we ended up here. The desk agent was very nice. We asked if we could see a room (to make sure it wasn't nasty) and he showed us around. The room cost $50 something a night. I say "something" because he never showed us a bill (definitely a minus) when we paid with a credit card. For $50-something I was very pleased with the room.

Now it should be said that, given the circumstances, I had pretty low standards. There were a few small bugs in the room (not near the bed), the air conditioner was very weak, and the bathroom was not spotless (the sink was slightly cracked and there was a little mildew around the caulking line of the tub). The King Bed was very comfortable. The room had a microwave and a mini-fridge. The hotel advertises free breakfast but we didn't get up early enough to catch it. The parking is very convenient and easy compared to other places on Main St.

The best part of staying at Super 8 was that my fiancee and I did not need a Designated Driver. The furthest bar on Main Street is only a 10 minute walk while the bar we ended up at was only about 5 minutes away from the hotel. The night life in Newark (when the University of Delaware is not in Fall or Spring Semester) can be pretty lively. When UD is in Fall or Spring Semester I would stay away from Newark. I went to UD and unfortunately my peers can be some of the rudest, crudest, basest drunks I've ever seen. We went on a Thursday night in the summer and there were many people walking the streets bar hopping at 11:30 at night. During the weekend it is probably busier. If you like going to bars, going to fancier restaurants, or dining on ethnic food, Newark is a great place to visit (when UD is not in main session).

For a couple or a group, I would consider night life on Main St. to be totally safe (when UD is not in main session).

I was glad to save money by staying at Super 8 but I can totally understand if the cleanliness of the rooms is unacceptable. You get what you pay for, and I think for the price Super 8 Newark is a great value.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manchester88
Reviewed June 28, 2011

The dirtiest motel I've ever stayed in. Carpet looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in a century...cobwebs, spiders, bugs in bed, stains on bed sheets, lumpy pillows, plastic covers on matresses makes you feel like you are sleeping on a bed made for bedwetters. The outside of this motel is just as filthy. Needs new management, along with everything else. Obviously, someone needs hotel management 101. Would rather sleep outside under a tree...it would be cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Gibson1967
Reviewed May 4, 2011

First, our non-smoking room smelled like smoke... bad. The air conditioning unit smelled like vomit. The bathroom window was broken out and glass was on the floor. Of the 5 outlets in the room, only one worked. The bedding was not clean.

Now to top it all off, the bar next door played thumping music from 10pm until 2am keeping us awake... on a Tuesday. I have stayed in nicer hotels in post-earthquake Haiti. Never stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank bgradis
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The room is not extremely clean but it is clean enough for me to feel comfortable. Didn have any problems and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
hotels234, Manager at Super 8 Newark DE, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2010

I want to personally thank you for your time with reviewing our hotel. Its the guests with valuable reviews that help make our hotel a better stay for everyone!

Super 8 Newark

Reviewed January 26, 2010

We had to change our room the first night because it looked like a crime scene there was blood in the bathroom ..it looked like they hadn't even changed the sheets. The scent they use to freshen up the rooms sent me into asthma attacks. We asked them not to use the spray on our room the next day because of that and they still did ... we had to leave and stay with family. It was the worse place ever !!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 30, 2009

The first room we had, the door would not lock . When i asked the guy at the first desk "could he fix the door" ...he told me that there was nothing wrong with it ....me and my wife had to leave to take care of some business and called 3 hours later and asked again was the door fixed....the man replied "yes, the door is fixed" ....got back 2 hrs after that and the door was still broken ...then i went to the desk to tell him and he asked "what door?"....i asked him to come check it out and he finally gave me another room. This room smelled like somebody had alcohol poisoning and they tried to hurry up and clean before we go there.....i have never smelled any room that bad in my life and i have been deployed to Iraq ....twice ...we had to open both windows and open and close the door every five mins...

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple