“Good FRESH Food”
Review of Bahama Breeze

Bahama Breeze
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 365 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stopped in here after shopping at the Christiana Mall. We had thought about visiting several times, but always ended up somewhere else for some reason. We had a gift card that someone gave us & decided to give it a try.

Once inside, we were seated at a booth by the restrooms & given menus. Our first impression was that the decor was comfortable, but the music was SUPER loud. We had asked to be seated away from the speakers, but the host insisted that ALL tables were near speakers.

Looking over the menu, we saw several items that sounded appetizing....ribs, fried chicken sliders, burgers, pulled pork sliders, coconut shrimp & FRESH fish selections (salmon, tilapia, mahi mahi). My husband decided to try the wood grilled salmon. One thing that was neat was that he got to choose his preparation for his fish....Pan-seared with mango butter sauce , Almond Crusted with a lemon butter sauce or Shrimp Saute with shrimp & lemon cream sauce. He chose the almond crusted salmon. His entree came with a cinnamon mashed sweet potatoes & fresh string beans. I was interested in the sliders & coconut shrimp. I asked our waitress which slider she recommended, the fried chicken or bbq pulled pork. She recommended the pulled pork, so I went with her recommendation. They are offered as an appetizer OR as part of a combo (with a salad or soup). I decided to get the combo with a house salad. They did not have Italian dressing, so I opted to try their house Tropical Vinaigrette. I would have preferred a more substantial side like mashed potatoes or fries. I asked about it & out waitress said I could order an additional side. She did not offer to allow me to make a substitution. Instead, we decided to add an order of the coconut shrimp appetizer.

Within about 10 minutes our coconut shrimp appetizer was out to us. There were 6 pretty decent sized shrimp on the platter. They were really good, but the citrus-mustard sauce was disgusting. We enjoyed them plain...delish! Within about another 5-10 minutes our entrees were out to us. My husband enjoyed his fish. He said it was moist, juicy--not overcooked. He really liked the almond crusting. He also enjoyed the cinnamon mashed sweet potatoes & fresh string beans. He said he got a really FRESH and tasty meal for a great price. I, however, was disappointed with the amount of food on my entree. There were ONLY TWO sliders on the combo (and the menu did not indicate how many you got). The tropical vinaigrette that came with my salad was not very good. I would not eat my salad, even though it looked delicious, since the dressing was terrible. Our waitress agreed to take my salad back and substitute french fries at no additional charge. This made me VERY happy. The fries were out quicky & were pretty good. The pulled pork was VERY good as was the bbq sauce served with it. I just wish there was more of it.

Overall, we had a good dining experience. The atmosphere was warm and welcoming. However, the music was TOO LOUD. If it were lower, then our experience would have been even better. The food overall was good, with the exception of the dipping sauces and salad dressing. Everything tasted fresh & not overly salty. Everything was served up warm. Our service was fast and for the most part friendly. Prices were not bad. I just wish that I got more than TWO small bbq pulled pork sliders on the combo. I should have ordered the appetizer, since our waitress told us that it came with FOUR sliders (also not indicated on the menu). I wish they just offered a regular sandwich sized bbq pulled pork OR fried chicken sandwich. These two items are only available as sliders.

I would recommend and would dine here again.

There are newer reviews for Bahama Breeze

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Today my wife and I had a late lunch and it was very enjoyable. The appetizer, which was the cocoanut shrimp with a dipping sauce and a slice of pineapple, was cooked to perfection...loved it. Then I had a rice bowl dish that had, chicken, garbonzo beans, sweet potatoes, chorizo prepared with a mildly spicy sauce, very tasty. My wife had a rice bowl dish with an Asian flare. It consisted of chicken, red peppers, endame, mushrooms, bok choy, peanuts and snap peas....she can't wait to have it again. It was our first experience at the Bahama Breeze. The young lady at the desk greeted us with a warm and friendly demeanor, that was very refreshing. Our server was also very friendly and attentive she explained and helped us with the many different entres, which was very helpful. All and all we had a great dining experience.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The food was delicious, although overpriced. We were there around 7:30 after the dinner rush and waited over 30 minutes for our dinner to arrive. Since our entire party only ordered appetizers the time to go back would be during happy hour when the appetizers are half price.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Wife and I had a mailer with a coupon, and had gotten a Darden gift card for Christmas, so we figured we'd try it. We started with two drinks at the bar while waiting for a table. The bartender was extremely pleasant and helpful. I had a dirty martini and my wife a white wine Sangria. Both drinks were great, although the martini had no olives as garnish, which is the first time I'd ever experienced that.

Our wait for a table was right around the quoted 25 minute wait, so no issues there. The server came in a prompt manner, and was very outgoing and fun to interact with. We ordered the Jerk shrimp as an appetizer. When it arrived we were greeted with a bowl of oil and butter with 10 tiny shrimp in it, and a large loaf of crusty bread in a bag. The shrimp were seasoned slightly, but the overwhelming oil taste made this dish anything but "authentic Carribean". We used the bread to soak up some of the juice. but overall I was not impressed with this dish.

I had a cup of the Bahama seafood chowder. Cream-based, it was fair. Nothing special, but I enjoyed it. Came with a side of oyster crackers.

For main entrees my wife ordered the filet (She's not a adventurous type) and I had the grilled chicken with cilantro. Came with a side of mashed potatoes with corn and cheese and seasonings mixed in, and a side of creamy lime dressing. The chicken was bland and tasted identical any other Chicken breast you'd get from Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc. My wife's filet looked like a sirloin and came with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes. At $21.79 it was a pretty poor value. My entree was under $10, so at least I got my money's worth.

For a second cocktail my wife had an Apple martini which she enjoyed very much.

Overall, I'd say this is a good place to visit for happy hour drinks and some half price appetizers, but it in no way stands out from the crowd of "themed concepts". The fact that this building was formerly a Houlihan's and was one of my favorite restaurants in the area just adds to the disappointment.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

First time there and my husband and i thought it was really good and delicious. We tried the yuca, chocolate mousse cake among others things. The food did have that island frilled flavor to it which we loved. Service was prompt and polite and food came out at a decent time. Drinks were delicious as well and all at a very fair price.