“Disgusted”

Mad Macs
Ranked #55 of 369 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Description: Our property boasts a comfort zone with a unique, casual dining experience, appropriate for all ages, but most importantly, simply delicious mac and cheese. Matildas & Mad Macs will be offering a mouthwatering selection of creamy and browned to perfection mac and cheese. The mac is on center stage, but not to be missed is the decadent hand-formed burgers, plump juicy wings and the homemade soups. Menu highlights include the pizza mac, with fresh mozzarella, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, and fresh basil… Yum! The lobster mac, with tender chunks of fresh lobster, cognac, tarragon and mascarpone cheese… Ridiculous! The portobello mac, with roasted portobello, goat cheese, mozzarella and a touch of truffle oil… Yes this really happens... The signature burger, hand formed, fire grilled, and on a baked fresh bun. Side selections include generous portions of seasoned fries paired with our white cheddar cheese sauce. Perfection…. For desserts, how about a red-velvet cake with cream cheese frosting; and for adults, may we suggest a drunken milkshake. Sorry kids 21 and older only.Togo is Unique at Matildas & Mad Macs. Ready to-go hot or cold mad-macs is the perfect way to fill your belly at your home or office. Microwavable and environmentally safe prepared dishes heat in seconds and are fun for the whole family. Don’t order pizza, order pizza mac!!! Available in regular, wheat and whole grain macaroni.Once you're properly fueled with some of our signature dishes, there's plenty of entertainment to keep the fun going, from karaoke on Mondays and Saturdays, to Texas hold'em poker on Wednesdays and trivia on Thursdays. We also provide live entertainment every Friday night! Let the fun begin…
Reviewed September 16, 2013

One word...Disgusted! My family and I have been to Mad Mac's on several occasions since moving to DE about a year ago. We have always liked the food, friendly staff, and fun atmosphere. We usually sit on the tavern side as my teenage daughters are sports fans and can watch events on the TV's. Well, NEVER AGAIN. I have never been more appalled by the behavior of an owner then when we were here on our last visit. My wife and I with our daughters were subjected to listening to this dirty old man talk inappropriately about the staff and their features and made one waitress visibly uncomfortable by the amount of groping he was doing. He was loud, obnoxious, and crude. Not to mention a "know it all" type who in general was just plain offensive. We were not even aware of who he was until he stopped at our table to introduced himself as "Doug" the owner. I was speechless that after watching & listening to all we did HE was in charge!??? After asking about our meal/service (which is ALWAYS wonderful) he proceeds to tell us it will get better now that he is back in charge and as he is leaving looks at my 17 yr old daughter and says if she ever needs a job "he'd hire a beauty like her in a second"!!!! My wife and I were SPEECHLESS and my daughter embarrassed. We will NEVER return to this restaurant and this review is one of many I will be posting to social media for all to see. I hope the staff there all quit or sue this disgusting person until he is gone. We will Mad Macs and the great food but this was too much by someone who calls themself an owner.

2  Thank GregW1965

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Went to dinner on Sept. 8, 2013. My family had a really back experience. I was a little put-off as to the condition of the restaurant, it looked a little run down. We had a living social coupon and decided to try the place out. The worst part of our experience was after we had ordered our food. All of a sudden what looked like a centipede ran along the wall and stopped right by my son. My son jumped over and gave a little yell. The hostess was walking by just after it happened and my husband called her over asking if we can move and pointed the centipede out. She moved us a few tabled over. I was really grossed out over this 3 inch bug running by us. The food then came and I tried to eat, but didn't have an appetite any longer. What I was most disappointed about was that a manager didn't come out and apologize of say anything. My son ate his meal and unfortunately ended up throwing it up in the parking lot from being so disturbed by the incident.

1  Thank cowboy0143
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Went to lunch on Sept. 1, 2013. My family has been to this restaurant several times in the past and were always very happy. Not today. We asked to sit on the restaurant side and were told that it wasn't open, we had to sit on the bar side. There were a group of men being abnormally loud at the bar and using the f word frequently...This was at 2 pm on a Sunday afternoon. Then I noticed that the two bartenders were doing shots with customers. I felt like I was on an episode of Restaurant Stakeout...The especially loud guy wanted the radio turned up...a woman sitting at the bar (who I am assuming worked there because she was sharing food with the bartender and I saw her behind the bar later on) told him no she couldn't because they had the respect the Baptists that are also there. Really? There were families with children sitting near us who had to experience all this. Shame on these employees. I wonder if the owner is aware of what type of atmosphere the restaurant is displaying during Sunday Brunch? Disappointing. Not sure why they can't just open the other side for people who don't really want to watch people get drunk in the afternoon and then hop in their cars and drive.

1  Thank Sally P
Ryan S, Owner at Mad Macs, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Sally - Thank you for providing us with your feedback. It is never acceptable for our customers to be subjected to this type of behavior by our staff, nor will it be tolerated. Please accept our sincerest apology for this incident. To ensure this type of service ceases to continue, we would like to contact you in hopes of gathering more information to investigate. Regards, Ryan.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We ate here three times in July, two lunches and a dinner. We were pleased with both the food and service. I was never aware of the split personality, just that the area containing the bar was typically busy and therefore noisy and the room to the left of the reception area was empty.

Tuesdays are half price burger days! We had the "aussie" and "smothered" burgers, both cooked right and the fries are unusually good! Draughts are $3.50 to $5. We had a reuben ($9) and aussie chicken sandwich ($9) on a second lunch, the reuben being one of the best I've ever had! Dinner was busy and noisy but service was the best I've had in many, many years. We shared a appetizer sampler contains many of their specialties ($7.50), a "roo" burger, reuben, and chicken quesadilla. All plates were cleared empty!

There were a lot of drinks in there too. Check for 4 for dinner $96! That is excellent value. Our servers were Heather and another gal, "boots", and the best of all Jennie! I used to be a professional waiter and I know what good service is. And Jennie was excellent! I'm thinking she has a day job like CEO someplace!

I think this place is underrated! Try it!

Ryan S, Owner at Mad Macs, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so happy that you enjoyed the quality of our food, especially the Reuben! We will definitely share your comments with our staff – they will be delighted! Please come back and see us again soon! Regards, Ryan.

Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I tried Matildas out for the first time and we loved it! Our servers were Becky and Heather, they worked as a team to make service impeccable! Becky had told us honestly what to choose for our first time and we took her recommendation of their house sauce for the wings which was incredible! For our lunch we decided on the Four Cheese mac and the "Snooki" mac which was absolutley delicious and even had enough to take some home. What an awesome find and we will definitly be back!

Ryan S, Owner at Mad Macs, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you so much for the compliments on our food & service Fred! We encourage feedback from our customers, whether good or bad, because it really helps us make our restaurant better. We will certainly pass your kind words along to the staff, especially Beckie & Heather. Can’t wait to have you back! Sincerely, Ryan.