“Old, Tired and Broken”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Although the gas fire was burning brightly there were no cups for coffee or any promised cookies. Upon arriving in the room, it became ubundantly apparent that no one had given the property any TLC. There were HOLES in the bathtub! Can you imagine? The tub could not hold water. The sink leaked. The refrigerator made a constant clicking noise. DO NOT STAY HERE. It was really awful. Had we not been so tired after hours of driving, we would have demanded our money back and changed hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not at this property
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bpasso
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Husband's home office is in Newark, DE and we spend 8-10 nights a month at the Country Inn & Suites there. I can honestly say we have NEVER encountered a better staff anywhere, starting with the housekeeping staff (Anabella and Sylvia are wonderful) to the front desk staff (Justin and Navine are terrific) all the way up the GM (Crystal Turnipseed). It is true it is an older hotel but that doesn't keep them from providing very comfortable beds, new linens, towels, and pillows. We have stayed at many other hotels in the area (Hilton, Embassy Suites, and Residence Inn) but for the money, you cannot beat this hotel. The breakfast is very good and coffee is always available (and hot) should you desire it anytime of the day or night. There was even very good apple cider served during the holidays.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We got suite# 318 with the Jacuzzi, what a treat I say to my wife. I did not pay attention to the smoke detector that was right above…. and you know what happened next…the steam from the hot water turn on the smoke alarm. what an embarrassment at 7AM
The mattress was hard like a rock, the carpet new some better days. Room phone did not work, same with the entrance light.
Location is by the 95 exit witch help to get to downtown Newark in 20 minutes.
Not my favorite place at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Needs updating but room is clean just older looking . Convenient guest laundry and close to many restaurants . Staff was helpful and cheerful . Donna at front desk is a very pleasant young lady and after having dealt with a difficult staff elsewhere she was very refreshing .

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Wilsonmaryann
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stopped in Newark to see family at the end of a vacation week and were very happy to get a room without having made a reservation. The underground parking was great with an elevator to the floors, making unloading and loading easy. The room was large and clean. There was a bit of noise in the halls until closer to bedtime, but we liked the hotel well enough that we called ahead to try to get a room in another Country Inn for our next stopover. This is a regular town that we visit and we will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Hi William T,

Thank you so much for your review! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. I was worried that I might hear noise in the mornings due to construction next door but heard nothing at all. My room was very quiet other than hearing people at the ice machine (my room was close to the lobby) but I only heard that when I was in the bathroom so it did not wake me up. The bed was very comfortable. They offer a very complete breakfast in the morning and the menu varies somewhat each day. I appreciated the business center as I did not have a computer or IPad with me and don't do internet on my cell phone. Check in and check out was very efficient. The only problem I encountered was that there was no remote the first night. But the front desk person quickly delivered one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear BK233,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! We appreciate the feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We know that you have a choice when looking for hotel accommodations in Newark, and we certainly are glad that you chose the Country Inn & Suites.

We look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Good--Nice place. Clean. Great staff. Breakfast was fine. Close to restaurants and shopping. Quiet. Especially nice is the below grade parking area where your car is sheltered from inclement weather.

The Mixed--Oddly, there isn't a gas station around.

The Bad--Breakfast not available on weekends until 7am, which, if you want to get on the road early, might disappoint you.

The Really Bad: Ok...for the first time ever in a long history of traveling, I encountered a bed bug attack--even though I always take all the recommended precautions. Now, on this trip I stayed at a number of hotels in three states and, as I learned, a reaction to bed bug bites often doesn't show up for up to 14 days after one has been bitten. That said, I am not sure this is hotel that had the problem, but I can't rule it out either. But this should serve as a warning to all-- As my significant other said, "If this happens to you, as careful as you are, it just proves this can happen to anybody." I am posting this warning on the reviews for all the hotels I stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JustaHoosier
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear JustaHoosier,

Thank you so much for your review of your experiences while staying with us! We always appreciate our guests who take the time to let us know how their stay was. I'll be sure to pass along your compliments to the team, as I know they'll appreciate it as well.

As a follow up to our phone conversation, I did have our extermination company inspect the room that you were assigned to while you were visiting us. I'm pleased to say that they did not find any evidence of bed bugs. Our proactive efforts won't stop there though! Our team is highly trained on what to look for, and are engaged in the process to protect our guests, associates, and our hotel. Thank you so much for being concerned enough to call me for a head's up!

We hope to see you again soon!