“Lively staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Newark
“Lively staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Needs updating but room is clean just older looking . Convenient guest laundry and close to many restaurants . Staff was helpful and cheerful . Donna at front desk is a very pleasant young lady and after having dealt with a difficult staff elsewhere she was very refreshing .

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Wilsonmaryann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lake Lure, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stopped in Newark to see family at the end of a vacation week and were very happy to get a room without having made a reservation. The underground parking was great with an elevator to the floors, making unloading and loading easy. The room was large and clean. There was a bit of noise in the halls until closer to bedtime, but we liked the hotel well enough that we called ahead to try to get a room in another Country Inn for our next stopover. This is a regular town that we visit and we will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hi William T,

Thank you so much for your review! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel. I was worried that I might hear noise in the mornings due to construction next door but heard nothing at all. My room was very quiet other than hearing people at the ice machine (my room was close to the lobby) but I only heard that when I was in the bathroom so it did not wake me up. The bed was very comfortable. They offer a very complete breakfast in the morning and the menu varies somewhat each day. I appreciated the business center as I did not have a computer or IPad with me and don't do internet on my cell phone. Check in and check out was very efficient. The only problem I encountered was that there was no remote the first night. But the front desk person quickly delivered one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear BK233,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! We appreciate the feedback and are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We know that you have a choice when looking for hotel accommodations in Newark, and we certainly are glad that you chose the Country Inn & Suites.

We look forward to serving you again soon!

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The Good--Nice place. Clean. Great staff. Breakfast was fine. Close to restaurants and shopping. Quiet. Especially nice is the below grade parking area where your car is sheltered from inclement weather.

The Mixed--Oddly, there isn't a gas station around.

The Bad--Breakfast not available on weekends until 7am, which, if you want to get on the road early, might disappoint you.

The Really Bad: Ok...for the first time ever in a long history of traveling, I encountered a bed bug attack--even though I always take all the recommended precautions. Now, on this trip I stayed at a number of hotels in three states and, as I learned, a reaction to bed bug bites often doesn't show up for up to 14 days after one has been bitten. That said, I am not sure this is hotel that had the problem, but I can't rule it out either. But this should serve as a warning to all-- As my significant other said, "If this happens to you, as careful as you are, it just proves this can happen to anybody." I am posting this warning on the reviews for all the hotels I stayed at.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JustaHoosier
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear JustaHoosier,

Thank you so much for your review of your experiences while staying with us! We always appreciate our guests who take the time to let us know how their stay was. I'll be sure to pass along your compliments to the team, as I know they'll appreciate it as well.

As a follow up to our phone conversation, I did have our extermination company inspect the room that you were assigned to while you were visiting us. I'm pleased to say that they did not find any evidence of bed bugs. Our proactive efforts won't stop there though! Our team is highly trained on what to look for, and are engaged in the process to protect our guests, associates, and our hotel. Thank you so much for being concerned enough to call me for a head's up!

We hope to see you again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Yet another property makeover, decent job. Property safe, bedroom clean, fully stocked. Clearly house keeping well trained! Front desk at checkin friendly and efficient. Bed a bit hard. So all the basics there and done well. Some wear evident. Called maintenance to get window curtain back on track. Lamp out. Elevator call light in garage not working. Room (41n, something toward end of hall) was quiet and no sounds overnight. AC was rather noisy but it was end of a very hot week. So, while we have recently stayed in much better executed make-overs, this was fine... BUT...

Breakfast area AC was not functioning. First morning, a fan was stuck in the open window, air at least, second morning no open window, no fan. They should have moved breakfast to room with AC. And second morning, 2 of 3 hot offerings were empty and re-supply very slow at 8:30 am on relatively quiet morning. No apologies offered.

So, for the price, equivalent to many other similar offerings, try elsewhere. We were competing with a state-wide lacross tournament for a couple of days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Zephyr-TA,

Thank you for your recent stay with our hotel, and for your honest feedback. We appreciate the positive comments in regards to our housekeeping staff and I will be certain to pass that along to the team!

You are absolutely correct that the AC was not functioning in the breakfast area over the weekend, and I apologize for that. We are definitely aware of the issue and are already in the process of having this problem fixed. While we would have loved to have moved the breakfast to an area that did have AC, we didn't have those capabilities as there are no other areas.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and certainly for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I hope that we're able to do so again, after the air is working again!

cnewarkde@carlsonrezidor.com
Hot Springs, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Country Inn,1024 old Churchmans Rd. Newark,DE 19713, and wanted to express how pleased we were with our four day visit. The staff was professional, courteous, friendly and accomodating at all times. We want to give particular recognition to Mr. Doug Hirsh, who was more than helpful with the billing, and also in giving us directions to the various places we wamted to visit. Also, Mr. Isiah Givens, who was so conscientious in finding us just the right room. Other staff members, Crystal and Levine, were equally as helpful and nice.

The hotel itself was beautifully decorated, clean,and welcoming. The delicious breakfast each morning was absolutely an added bonus. We travel quite a bit, and can honestly say that our stay at this hotel was one of our nicest experiences.

We would whole-heartedly encourage you to continue all your dedicated efforts in making this a great hotel, and would also encourage anyone visiting this Delaware area, to stay at the Country Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowling Green KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

With the exception of the late afternoon/evening desk gentleman who was wonderful (made fresh coffee and provided change for the laundry - the front desk people did not leave an impression. Construction is taking place next door so expect some noise and our car almost was blocked in due to other vehicles parking on curb areas. Apparently parking was a nightmare because the hotel was sold out. We did not get to sample the breakfast since it was not available with our early morning exit at 6am (not set up yet). The room was clean and the hotel was in great shape but there are many other hotels in the area so next time I will check out the prices before booking in advance. I used reward points and I am sure I still overpaid!This area has many stores, restruants and hotels!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family