“Good Make Over of Older Property: AC Not Working in Breakfast Room”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in Newark
“Good Make Over of Older Property: AC Not Working in Breakfast Room”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Yet another property makeover, decent job. Property safe, bedroom clean, fully stocked. Clearly house keeping well trained! Front desk at checkin friendly and efficient. Bed a bit hard. So all the basics there and done well. Some wear evident. Called maintenance to get window curtain back on track. Lamp out. Elevator call light in garage not working. Room (41n, something toward end of hall) was quiet and no sounds overnight. AC was rather noisy but it was end of a very hot week. So, while we have recently stayed in much better executed make-overs, this was fine... BUT...

Breakfast area AC was not functioning. First morning, a fan was stuck in the open window, air at least, second morning no open window, no fan. They should have moved breakfast to room with AC. And second morning, 2 of 3 hot offerings were empty and re-supply very slow at 8:30 am on relatively quiet morning. No apologies offered.

So, for the price, equivalent to many other similar offerings, try elsewhere. We were competing with a state-wide lacross tournament for a couple of days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Zephyr-TA,

Thank you for your recent stay with our hotel, and for your honest feedback. We appreciate the positive comments in regards to our housekeeping staff and I will be certain to pass that along to the team!

You are absolutely correct that the AC was not functioning in the breakfast area over the weekend, and I apologize for that. We are definitely aware of the issue and are already in the process of having this problem fixed. While we would have loved to have moved the breakfast to an area that did have AC, we didn't have those capabilities as there are no other areas.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and certainly for giving us the opportunity to serve you. I hope that we're able to do so again, after the air is working again!

At your service,
Crystal Turnipseed
cnewarkde@carlsonrezidor.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hot Springs, Virginia
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Country Inn,1024 old Churchmans Rd. Newark,DE 19713, and wanted to express how pleased we were with our four day visit. The staff was professional, courteous, friendly and accomodating at all times. We want to give particular recognition to Mr. Doug Hirsh, who was more than helpful with the billing, and also in giving us directions to the various places we wamted to visit. Also, Mr. Isiah Givens, who was so conscientious in finding us just the right room. Other staff members, Crystal and Levine, were equally as helpful and nice.

The hotel itself was beautifully decorated, clean,and welcoming. The delicious breakfast each morning was absolutely an added bonus. We travel quite a bit, and can honestly say that our stay at this hotel was one of our nicest experiences.

We would whole-heartedly encourage you to continue all your dedicated efforts in making this a great hotel, and would also encourage anyone visiting this Delaware area, to stay at the Country Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bowling Green KY
Reviewed July 2, 2013

With the exception of the late afternoon/evening desk gentleman who was wonderful (made fresh coffee and provided change for the laundry - the front desk people did not leave an impression. Construction is taking place next door so expect some noise and our car almost was blocked in due to other vehicles parking on curb areas. Apparently parking was a nightmare because the hotel was sold out. We did not get to sample the breakfast since it was not available with our early morning exit at 6am (not set up yet). The room was clean and the hotel was in great shape but there are many other hotels in the area so next time I will check out the prices before booking in advance. I used reward points and I am sure I still overpaid!This area has many stores, restruants and hotels!

Delaware
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This is a small-ish property that looks like its going through renovations, and there was construction going on right next door in another lot. Little breakfast area had average food, but I was disappointed not to see bacon :( Typical fare of bagels, liquid scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, cereal, juice, bread, etc. Room service is from a local restaurant with minimum delivery of 15.00 (and service fee) if you need food and don't want to leave the room. There are a handful of restaurants and stores in the area, however, and there is one deli within walking distance. Also, why are hotels doing away with shower caps?
First the good:
Got a good rate online for king room with jacuzzi;
Room was clean although looked a little worn with ragged carpet and patched ceiling;
Mints on pillow (!);
Call to the room after check in to make sure all was well;
Hotel making effort to go "green";
Size of the room was decent and included pull out bed;
King bed didn't look comfy at first but it was actually nice;
Service was quick and pleasant;
Bathroom was serviceable with enough towels and expected toiletries.
Now the bad:
Jacuzzi was in need of repair with parts of it taped together...one jet didn't work and it was loud;
Internet (free) was really slow;
Construction was going on inside and out, making it noisy and uneasy with workmen walking around. They were also taking up the tables in the breakfast area one morning, but not eating anything;
Lobby is small and parking lot was inadequate for the location, which was not helped by all the construction;
Ice and vending only on the main lobby which was inconvenient, but property only has 4 floors;
On the second day my room key card didnt work. After a long hot day it was a real pain to go all the way up to the room and then have to go all the way back down to the front desk for a re-key;
Walls are thin, but I think this is common for hotels in this price range.
Overall, this was a good place and I expect that they will get their construction completed and perhaps address some of their cosmetic issues.

Room Tip: Avoid adjoining rooms if you don't need them.
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a nice place for a short stop in Delaware. We had a whirlpool room which was very spacious and clean. The front desk lady was pleasant and helpful They have fresh baked cookies when you arrive. In the morning they servee a nice breakfast with cheese omelets, ham and fresh waffles. There was also an assortment of other breakfast foods. The location is near the college and hospital.

NJ
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just got back from an overnight trip to Newark for my sons graduation from The Univeristy of Delaware. We stayed Friday night of Memorial Day weekend. Since it was both a holiday and graduation weekend, of course the hotel costs were higher than usual. We had three hotel rooms booked a year in advance and paid nearly $700 for one night! There was a total of 10 people in our party. Upon check in, the hotel decor was appealing and the front desk clerk was pleasant. The first of many downfalls began when we found out that breakfast is not served till 7:00 am on weekends. This is not stated on the website, and this was one of the reasons we booked this hotel since we had to eat and be out of our rooms early for graduation the next morning. The gentleman that was working the breakfast area the next morning stated that he was not informed that graduation was that day and he had guests waiting to grab something to eat prior to leaving. Our next problem was after my sister checked into her hotel room and went to use the toilet. The handle on the toilet was completely broken and it could not be flushed. I called the front desk to inform them and the clerk told me that it was a problem since the maintainence person called out sick and there was no one available for repairs. They offered her to switch her room to another room, but it was a lower grade room. My sister had opted for a jacuzzi suite and the replacement room she was offered was only a king bed room. When asked how she would be reimbursed for the difference in price, the clerk said that the room was prepaid and she could not authorize a price differential. We then asked to speak to the manager. We were told that the general manager (Robert) was on vacation. We asked when he would be returning and was told probably Monday or Tuesday! How could a manager take a vacation on a holiday/graduation weekend without a replacement? The final, and worst problem was at night when we were getting ready to retire for the evening in our room. I tried to put on the light in the bedroom, and it basically fell part and did not work. I then pulled back the pull-out sofa to make the bed (after I had to go to the front desk to get my own sheets/blankets) and found a mouse trap, and dirty sock behind the sofa! Imagine my disgust when I saw that! I took pictures and showed it to the clerk the next morning. She noted it on a piece of paper along with my number for the manager to contact me. Well, it's already Tuesday and I haven't heard from him as of yet. My next letter I am writing is to the corporate office of Country Inns to inform them of their lack of management and cleanliness!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Billhens
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband stayed here while visiting his mom at a local nursing home. He was really pleased with the room. He said the bed was very comfortable, the hotel was dead quiet at night on the third floor, and all of the personnel were very helpful. Of special note was Dominic. Dominic is the employee who manages the breakfast area. My husband raved about the spotless breakfast area. Great stay. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family