“Okay room, inept staff”

Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Hamden, Connecticut
“Okay room, inept staff”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for four nights to attend the NASCAR race in Dover, DE. The room seemed clean, although the bed was hard and the pillows were horrible. The continental breakfast was okay but nothing special. The front desk staff however were inept and uncaring. Our first night there I asked for an extra towel and was told I had to get it myself. When we first checked in I asked if we could have the bill split between two credit cards. I was at first told no and then told to ask the morning staff as the gentleman working that night had no clue. Upon checkout I went to the desk with our bill (and another guest's bill that was also slipped under our door) and again asked if the bill could be split. I was told "no problem" and the young man pushed a few buttons and generated a new bill which looked correct. That was on Monday. On Wednesday logged on to my credit card to pay my monthly bill and low and behold the entire bill was on my card, although it was split in two charges. I immediately called the hotel and told the young man who answered the problem. He said he was sorry and would take care of the situation. I thanked him and went on my merry way until that afternoon when I again checked the account only to find he had not refunded any money he had actually billed me more money. There were not 10 or so new charges on the account ranging from $72 to $750+ which were thankfully declined by my credit card company! I again called the hotel and spoke to the manager. She agreed that the account was badly messed up and she would issue the credit and it should be off my account within 24 hours. It was not. I also emailed the company and was emailed by customer service who said she would "look into the situation." Now, seven days later I still have no refund. The hotel and customer service insist it was issued and the credit card company says they don't have it. I've had to issue a disputed claim to the credit card company to get a simple refund. I will NOT be staying in a Country Inn & Suites again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your review.

Unfortunately, many hotel properties get caught in a scam where the card holder states they never received a credit, so the hotelier will continue to issue a credit on the card, and the card holder receives numerous credits not owed to them.

We do appreciate you taking the time to claim false allegations.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Philadelphia
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Was just at this property for the recent NASCAR race in Dover and some sightseeing. Perfectly situated between Baltimore and Philadelphia so we could do some sightseeing. And a nice straight route to Dover.

The staff from the desk to the breakfast gentlemen to the housekeepers were a pleasure to deal with. Loved the 24 hour coffee and nightly cookies. They even had cookies in the morning so we could nibble on the way to the race. Can't wait until next year to go back. Lovely business center, guest laundry and exercise room. Finally, was amazed at all the cable channels we had access to. Thanks again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Jill J,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I will be sure to pass along you comments with the rest of the staff.

We hope to serve you again in the future.

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last year when my sister-in-law was flown to Christianna. The hotel staff went out of their way to make our stay the pleasant. This is one of the Cleanest Hotels/Motels I have ever stayed in & this year was no exception.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Signe M
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope that you will stay with us again, if your travels bring you to our area.

Delaware, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I am required to travel quite a bit for my profession. I always want to stay where I feel appreciated and welcomed and this was one of the locations that gave me the feeling of "HOME'. At check in the staff greeted me with friendliness and care. The check- in process was smooth and they made sure I did not have any problems or concerns. The room I was in was clean and smelled like the fresh outdoors. Because I travel so much, I always make sure the sheets are clean, towels are fresh and the room dusted. I have allergies and I make sure all is well before I relax. The front desk staff checked to make sure my room was to my liking and everything was okay. I would recommend this property to anyone staying in this area. I give this location the highest rating plus extra points. If you are looking for "home away from home", please stay here you will not have any regrets.

Room Tip: Trust the front line staff with their room selction, they know how to help you have a relaxing stay...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank stephanie s
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for the great review and for sharing your experience about our hotel. We hope you choose our hotel again when in the Newark area.
Tuckerton, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2012

OMG you have to stay here ... everytime his family has something and we have to go it over 3hrs away ... so i say lets stay and i get to pick the hotel ... here they are so nice ... Ok it he has to go outside to smoke but that DE anyway ... great staff, 24hr coffee and if i ask they have so go ...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sherri-Ann H
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We hope that we will be able to serve you again when you are in the Newark area.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 31, 2012

1 good thing i would say is the location i stood here for a funeral i knew the name Carlson and figured i would have a clean room and a good nite sleep i was wrong on both accounts the room air did'nt work the water in the commode ran non stop all nite and last but not least there was live bees in my room i didnt notice this till 630 am ( i have the pictures to prove it) they then offered to move me to another room at 630 am (i am highly allergic to bees!) when i complained i was told management would not be in till 930 ( which was a lie) they was off for the weekend i guess they just didnt want to deal with me .so i spoke with another person after the shift change( she was very nice) who told me the manger would not be back till monday and the most she could do is discount the room an i should call back(which i did, no return calls) i also called customer care and they told me to give the manger 24 hours to contact me after 24 hrs i got a email from hotel saying sorry for any problems you had and 25 bucks took off was sufficient . any ways other family members who also stood here took pictures of the beds and the bugs that was in them in there rooms, i am now in the process of trying to figure out how to report this and fwd the pic's so this hotel can be brought up to Carlson' standards and to health regulations, to sum it all up if you are allergic to any types of bees and/or bugs (or if you just dont wanna risk getting bite) and you want a good nite sleep avoid this hotel ! across the street for 20 bucks more is 3 other hotels that are much better .oh yea i stood here on july 28,2012 picture is of 1 of the bees in the room on the curtian

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank margc2460
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Unfortunately, the incidents that you mention are false. You forgot to mention however, how the rest of your party, including yourself were asked to leave our hotel, due to the disruptions that you cause to our fellow guests and staff. You also failed to mention that we had to threaten to call the police, in order to have other family members who were highly intoxicated, and still in the guest rooms (that were checked out) passed out, and refused to leave the premises.

In conclusion, if you open up your windows and screens, you will get bugs in the room. That will happen whether at home or while traveling. We have a large amount of woods surrounding our property, so it is very possible that all sorts of insects and animals live in these areas. We have screens in the windows for those guests who wish to open them for air.

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Once again Country Inn and Suites have not let us down!!!! The facility is always clean and welcoming, the hot breakfast hits the spot, and most of all the wonderful staff is by far ahead of the rest. Many thanks for their assistance from the front desk up through the General Manager!!!! We always look for Country Inn and Suites when we travel and will continue to do so in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jason k
Countryinn1024, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Newark, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We appreciate the positive feedback, and we we hope that you will choose to stay with us again!