“What a wonderful place!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newark
Blue Hen Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Newark B&B and Inns
Red Bank, New Jersey
“What a wonderful place!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife & I found ourselves in the Newark, DE area, to attend a family function. We were not disappointed by the previous reviewers' comments. This place is all that. Quiet, comfortable, very clean, welcoming, accommodating, a house full of 300+ years of history, aromatic (love the lavender scent, taken from the lavender bushes around the property!) and a gazebo out back to catch a nap, meditate, or simply relax and enjoy the 2 acre property. Amy and Don make you feel like old friends when you visit and you won't be disappointed with Don's culinary skills at breakfastime. Awesome and plentiful! We highly recommend this place and will return here should we find ourselves back in the Newark, DE area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank freedatime

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Don and Amy are wonderful hosts and made us feel right at home. Bailey and Brandy, their two big, friendly dogs, also did their part to make us feel welcome. The house was nicely decorated, very clean and our room was lovely. The breakfasts were delicious. A power outage in the neighborhood on our last morning did not even phase Don and Amy. Don fired up his grill and made a great German breakfast for his guests while Amy set up the patio for our meal. They are a great team and we highly recommend staying at their bed and breakfast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob K
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We could not have made our trip to Newark if we hadn't found the Blue Hen B&B! My Mom needed an accessible space. I hoped for a flexible area that my adult daughter and I could share if she decided to visit (and she did). We were blessed with an expandable breakfast, so our Newark relatives could join us -- especially meaningful on Mother's Day. Too bad we didn't fly with our dog, because he would have found a happy home, too! Our hosts, Amy and Don Eschenbrenner, made us feel welcome from the instant we contacted them. Everything they promised was there: Beautiful, comfy beds, antique furnishings, original elements in a well-maintained and restored home -- flowers and birds all around. The breakfasts were delicious, complete with surprises like homemade scones and soufflés. We lingered with coffee in the garden gazebo or on the porches. Truly our home away from home. We had never visited Delaware before, and now we look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank karofsky
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our second stay at the Blue Hen B&B-and we'll be back again for sure. Amy and Don are warm and wonderful proprietors of this beautiful, comfortable inn. Absolutely everything is above par, in every way- we can't recommend the Blue Hen enough. Make sure you leave room for an unbelievable breakfast too!
Pete D

Room Tip: All the rooms have beautiful period antique furniture, and absolutely top of the line mattresses. Al...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pete D
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We found the Blue Hen web site online the day before our trip. We made one call and... stayed there for two night. And we want to go there again, but now with our daughter and friends. I believe, everyone will be appreciate this lovely home. This is not a hotel - this is cozy and welcoming home. This is the best place to stay.
We will be going there again!

Room Tip: Any room will be wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Marina U
Huntington, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Blue Hen B&B February 16th. We were visiting Newark for a birthday party and we enjoy staying at B&B's when we travel. When I found the Blue Hen web site on line, it looked like it would be a lovely place to spend the night. Oh my goodness, it was! The Blue Hen B&B is a charming Inn. Amy and Don are the most wonderful proprietors we have ever met. They are gracious, accommodating and so friendly. The rooms are lovely and comfortable. Don made us a delicious breakfast in the morning. His omelets and Egg Benedicts are outstanding. Amy gave us a wonderful tour of the Inn and told us all about the history of the area. This is truly a lovely place to stay. We checked into the Inn as customers, but left feeling we were friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane W
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here in the summer of 2012 and I have to say that I loved my stay. Not only was Amy accomodating in every way as well as giving my a tour of the entire house and history and giving me a yummy homemade breakfast to boot, she gave me so much information when I told her that I would be moving to Delaware within the year. I will definately be booking my next stay here when I come out for interviews!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hilary S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University
Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware
Comfort Inn and Suites
Comfort Inn and Suites
#4 of 24 in Newark
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - Newark S. - UD Area

Been to Blue Hen Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!