“Great food and atmosphere at Lunch”

Catherine Rooney's Irish Pub & Restaurant
Ranked #146 of 371 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We ate here twice last week for lunch while visiting UD. Good selection of items and beers. Had the wedding soup and it was very good. Also we had... hamburgers (very good), rueben, pulled pork sandwhich and chicken salad sandwhich. The pretzel appetizer is also a big hit. The 1st day we ate inside and it was very nice (it was a little chilly outside) but the 2nd day we decided to sit outside since it was a beautiful day... be warned, people do smoke outside so if it bothers you sit inside (you can't ask people not to when they are over by the other building and the smoke is drifting your way). Would return next time we are at UD.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I went for lunch during Newark Restaurant week. We both took advantage 2 course lunch for $10 menu. I had a delicious bowl of Potato Leek soup and he had Crab Bisque. Both soups arrived hot and were very think and delicious. We both ordered the chicken caesar wrap with fried. Not sure I would call it "Caesar" since I never did taste any dressing but it was very fresh and tasted good. We tried the Irish Bread pudding and it was fantastic! We looked at the brunch menu before we ordered and I was impressed by the number of choices and the wide variety of dishes offered from traditional breakfast dishes to burgers. I don't enjoy brunch normally but I would go to Catherine Rooney's for their many brunch choices. All prices very good and service was good. We will be back for sure.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

We love going there. Food is good and the staff is young but pleasant. Great fish and chips, burgers and entrees. A little disappointed that they no longer have corned beef and cabbage...it was a favorite of mine. Make sure you order the jameson wings...very good !!!!!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

A great happy hour has been murdered. The corpse is a scant shadow of its former self. What "empty suit" manager did the nasty deed?

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We dined at Catherine Rooney's twice -- three months apart -- and the food did not disappoint. The restaurant serves up THE BEST fish and chips we ate (out of four "acclaimed" dining venues we tried in Delaware and New York for fish and chips). The shepherd's pie was delicious and satisfying also, and I truly enjoyed the Kinsale salad,, which delivered several textures and taste sensations. While some may find the crowded place daunting, the food IS worth waiting for as we found it to be one of the most reliable places in Newark, within walking distance of the University of Delaware campus. I also particularly like that half pints of a great variety of beers is available so you can sample and switch without overdoing. It's got the flavors and feel of a real British pub. IMPORTANT NOTE: Parking in the Main Street area is particularly challenging. Be sure to take several rolls of quarters for the meters!