“Excellent Place for a Business Trip”

Extended Stay America - Newark - Christiana - Wilmington
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed June 8, 2011

This is an excellent place if you are on a business trip.
I would recommend this place to all.
It has different room options.
If booked for an entire month the rates are reasonable
Loved it and will be back

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Michellehastips

Reviewed December 3, 2008

I think I got exactly what I paid for with this hotel ($79/night) but I was just hoping for more. The web site claimed that they rooms were newly renovated but I'm not sure what form that renovation came in - maybe some new furniture?

The first room I stayed in turned out to have a leaky kitchen sink drain that ran all over the kitchen. They upgraded me to a king suite which was nicer. The overall hotel appearance is shabby. Although I didn't feel in danger, I didn't exactly feel safe either because the halls were dark and the hotel wasn't very full.

Also, they use the old bedspreads that get washed like once a year and they smell musty.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank bespitia
Reviewed September 25, 2008

The location is a plus--right off I-95, but in a commercial park, so traffic noise was not a problem. The room was relatively spacious, with a full kitchen, equipped with utensils, dishes, pots and pans. The bathroom was a little small, although there was a full length vanity. They could have used another outlet, however, not adjacent to the sink. There are no amenities provided except soap and toilet paper. They do not provide maid service on a daily basis unless you pay a daily fee. If you stay more than a week, they will come in to clean once a week without charge. (we were not there long enough for that). Beds are not made, and you must bring your towels to the front desk if you want them changed.and empty your own trash in the room down the hall. This cannot be because they are ecologically sensitive and responsible, because when we asked about where to put recyclables, we were told they don't do anything about separating them from the trash.

The cleanliness of the room left something to be desired. There were a number of places in the room where it was apparent no one had noticed or tried to clean up spills, including on the drapes and the stuffed chair.

We had no problems with check-in--friendly desk person, and accurate biling. Internet access is a one-time fairly nominal fee. There is no restaurant, pool, or exercise facilities on premises, but many good restaurant choices nearby. And it is convenient to attractions in the Wilmington and Newark area.

All in all, if they improved the cleanliness and provided just a few of the amenities that are usually found in a hotel stay (especially when the rate is over $100/day), it would be a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 8, 2007

i found this hotel to be just fine. i had no problems with it, and out of 10 other co-workers staying there with me only 1 person had a problem with thier room. it is fairly new so it doesnt have that hotel room smell to it and i thought the bed was very comfortable. the pillows had just the right amount of fluff and basically it is an adequate holiday inn with a full size fridge and freezer, stovetop and microwave. i say its worth it.

Stayed: September 2007
4  Thank buttlovin
Reviewed October 15, 2006

This hotel was neither clean nor quiet. The bathroom floor had mold growing on it and there was hair in the tub. The toilet was dirty. If it hadn't of been we were so exhousted we would have left right away. Well into the night there was door slamming. We found the beds uncomfortable as well.

The hotel is in a great location as it is near some very nice restraunts and the interstate exit.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Unfortunately, I just returned home from a 4-night stay at the Homestead Hotel in Newark, Delaware. I was travelling for business, and booked my stay on the internet (through the hotel's website.) My company told me to simply ask for the special locally negotiated rate when I checked in. I had paperwork which noted the corporate rate. Firstly, every single time I attempted to telephone this hotel it just rang and rang. The first time I actually spoke with someone the attendant was rude and I automatically felt like they couldn't care less if they had my (or anyone else's, for that matter!) business. She was dumbfounded when we discussed the agreed upon rate. At check-in, it got worse. She practically fought with me, her voice escalating! Reluctantly, I was given a 5% discount, a rate of almost $100 nightly. A short time later, the same clerk told me that she gave me the "wrong rate, and it is now $15 higher!" She fought with me again, I won the battle and agreed to pay only the rate I signed for at check-in. To make a long story short, this is what I found upon a quick inspection of my room: The bathtub was so dirty that I had to clean it myself. A call to the front desk revealed that housekeeping had left for the day. The soapdish had so much scum on it, that I would have literally needed a Brillo pad to scrape it off! There was spaghetti sauce on the inside of my kitchen's cupboards. Every drawer I opened produced hair and crumbs and other debris. The floor was not vacuumed well. The pillows were so hard and thin that you could barely notice there were any on the bed. Shampoo was missing from my room. The dust was THICK under the television. The receiver on my telephone was filthy. The front desk person stated that she would tell the manager, and have my room cleaned in the morning. I returned from work on Day 2, to find NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE! You won't believe what the front desk clerk said when I called her..."Oh, the manager went to your room and said that it was clean in her eyes!" Well, this manager obviously didn't finish high school, and certainly has no business running a hotel. Another thing, housekeeping service costs EXTRA!!! Imagine that? You have to pay MORE to get your dirty room cleaned! Unbelievable. No apologies, no rate amendment, and worse...my problems were never fixed. There is no lobby in this dump, it's like a Mom & Pop operation gone very, very bad! The laundry, vending, elevator and other public areas were always cluttered and dirty. I truly suggest someone takes a hard look here. Thank God for check-out time! I have made reservations at the Hotel Dupont next week, for not much more than I paid here. No doubt I will receive a spotless room in addition to 5-Star service. If you need to be in Newark, I recommend the Christiana Hilton, just down the street from the Homestead, or the Homewood Suites off Route 273. DO NOT stay here, EVER!!!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank I'matthebeach
Reviewed November 15, 2005

While I assume this hotel is the same as all the other's in the chain, for $90 a night, its certainly not worth it. This hotel is a wee bit above the Super 8/Motel 6/Hampton Inn level. There is no front desk support after 10 pm; no restaurant; the "kitchen" is very basic, and I can't imagine making more than a sandwich or boiling pasta in it. In addition, its a bit run down for a place that looks like it was just built. Its across the street from a Hilton, so for $90 a night, you could certainly just walk across the street to a more comfortable place.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business