“Only one nit to pick”

Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Vail, Arizona
“Only one nit to pick”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is an "almost five stars" review. I stayed at this hotel on a business trip for one night in November 2013. There's much to like about the Wilmington Newark TownePlace Suites -- it's convenient to the interstate, clean, and was a very comfortable night's sleep. My one and only complaint was that my room smelled pretty bad -- due to a foul odor coming from the kitchenette area. It smelled like rotten kitchen spices. Obviously, someone had cooked up a mighty spicy meal and soaked the walls and carpeting with an assortment of curry and who-knows-what. I really like hotels with kitchenettes because it's more like home and can be very comfortable, but one drawback is that people who cook in the room with ridiculous spices can create a smell that's almost as bad as stale cigarettes. This would be a five star review, but I knock the hotel down one notch for the cleaning staff not treating the rooms for strong cooking odors when needed.

Room Tip: Take a sniff when you enter your room, and if it reeks of cooking spices, ask for another room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I needed a long-term place to stay, (July to Oct.) as we were in the midst of buying a home. We chose the TownePlace Suites because they literally had everything we needed. It even provided me the opportunity to work from the room, as my job is virtual. It's a great location, close to I-95, and was close to my husbands job at Nordstrom. The room was comfortable, had a decent kitchen, the bed was nice. What made the stay even better was the staff. Each and every one of them were nice and friendly, helpful and knew me by name, since we stayed for so long. They were all professional, quick to help, personable and welcoming. Thanks to Debbie, David, Amara, Corpal, and the rest of the staff, you made our stay that much more pleasant and enjoyable. Best, Mike and Ron

Room Tip: If staying for long term or just in general, ask for room 112. It's to the side and very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
BELLINGHAM
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We used awards points for this hotel which was on our way from Boston to the Outer Banks. We were pleasantly surprised. It's the kind of hotel you might stay in for an extended stay so it had a 2 burner stove and full size fridge. It had a nice desk, flat screen TV, and couch. The bed was super comfortable. The room felt very warm for a hotel room. It was very very quiet, we heard nothing during the night. Within walking distance is Famous Dave's barbecue - so that was perfect after a long drive.

Breakfast was average - but they did have 4 hot dishes so that was nice. We would stay here again. Also, very clean!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelCallie
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Very clean, comfortable, and safe
Modern furnishings and decor
Comfy bed
Good customer service
Paul Mitchell shampoos
Good location for 95 South travelers
Great deal with the coupon book
We chose this hotel after stopping at Comfort Inn, which rudely stated that they no longer honor the coupon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GirlofCharades
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My friend and I were invited to a party in the DE/MD boarder and we needed a place to crash on a Saturday night. I have been a fan of the Marriott brand and decided that we should stay here. We picked up a travel coupon book and used the coupon (walk-in only) to check in. The coupon states that if there is availability, then a room with a queen size bed would cost $75 ($81 after tax). We got the room. There is a Bob Evan's right next to the property and so we had a nice snack there. The property itself is well-maintained and clean, but there are a few things that were not really optimal. First, our room smells like the food the previous occupant cooked -- you can smell the spice. Given that fact that we won't spend enough time in the room we did not really make a complaint. The bathroom was clean and nice. The front desk was very courteous, professional and friendly. Internet was okay. However, the breakfast turned out not to be so nice. The scrambled eggs look like they were cooked from powder (I am not that picky on food but my friend refused to eat it). Three hot items were served -- eggs, cornbeef with potatoes (salty) and oatmeal -- along with some pastries and yogurt. Given the size of the hotel, one would expect the dinning room to have enough space to accommodate the guests, but sadly there were only 3-4 tables. For $81 dollar, I think I got what I paid for and therefore, I gave a fair review. However, if you want a nicer experience and are on a vacation without too much budget constraint, I suggest staying in a Residence Inn. I still would stay in a TownPlace Suites property in the future, but it truly depends on the situation. BTW, the place is right next to I-95. You can connect to it in 2 minutes. That is a big plus!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BHUANG69
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to I95, easy on and off. The room was spacious enough, reasonably clean and bed was comfortable. There was an odor in the refrigerator.
They do take pets but be aware that they charge $100 which makes it a very expensive to place stay. Next time we are passing through on our south to north trip, we will look for something better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the beginning of May. We booked a one room King Suite. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted very warmly by the front desk person. She processed us very quickly and we got a room on the 4th floor. When we opened the door to the room we were surprised how nice the room was! It had one king bed and was very clean ,and had TWO bathrooms and being next to a busy Interstate we were concerned that it might be noisy at night, however we did not hear any traffic or noise, and the room was very quiet! We would stay here again if we come back to Newark, as the place is clean, new and the breakfast is adequate with your standard American waffle maker, and other items. Another bonus is the location of this hotel. It is just a short few minutes drive to Christiana Mall and many other stores which make Delaware famous for its tax free shopping. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: if you don't like the breakfast there is a Bob Evans 30 feet in front of the hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple